Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-Improvement & Teaching Your Children, December 30, 2009
This review is from: Parenting the Children of Now: Practicing Health, Spirit, and Awareness to Transcend Generations (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This 2009, 176-page book is more than the "how to raise your child" book that I expected. It is actually written for the parent/care-giver, suggesting how they might fix themselves, so they may better teach/guide the child forward. The structure first explains the concept to be understood to the parent. Then it provides an exercise or meditation (to bring the concept home to the parent). An exercise to be performed between the parent and child follows. The book addresses some good soul-searching concepts that apply to everyone. The "children of now" are mentioned because many believe these children to be even more aware and more sensitive. The fear is that today's parents do not understand and are punishing or medicating these children to make them "fit-in" with societal expectations.

An example: In Chapter 3 "Stop Being Afraid," we learn that ". . .fear causes the paralysis of our natural progression. . ." The chapter further explains that "becoming afraid is a gradual process that stacks one fear upon another. . ." In other words, fear feeds fear and becomes an expectation, and can become quite addictive. It can freeze us into a path of unconscious self-destructive behavioral patterns of IMAGINED possibilities. Many of us would rather stay in the discomfort of our fears, than face the unknown possibility of change. In this intricate process we weave, we are also teaching our children to be little models of our behavioral patterns.

Dr. Meg goes into a lot more detail, and follows with an exercise the adult can do to identify and face fears. Once the parent understands the concepts, an exercise follows that the parent can perform with the child.

Other concepts being addressed in this book include:
* Recognizing our (repeating) patterns--why they happen--what we need to do to address them;
* Being passionate about living--why and how we became desensitized--how to return to passionate living and why we should;
* Why children question everything and why we don't;
* Being our authentic self--not trying to be who we think everyone else wants us to be;
* Why we need to let our inner child come out and play--why humor is important;
* Don't fear change;
* Why we have relationships;
* And more. . .

One of my favorite BRILLIANT quotes from the book is on page 110, about LOVE: ". . .when we are able to love ourselves unconditionally, accepting ourselves as we are and who we are no matter what, we find inner peace like nothing we have ever experienced. As we find that peace, we begin to emanate it to everyone around us. We have a glow about us that is irresistible to others. People gravitate to us like moths to a flame. We are a flame, bright with the secrets of life. . ."

I believe this easy-to-understand book provides invaluable wisdom, with exercises/tools to accomplish positive internal changes for the reader and the child. In all honesty, you don't even need a child to benefit from the pearls of wisdom in this book.

As someone who is very much interested in spirituality, metaphysical energy and New-Age concepts, and as a conscious observer, I wanted to see what this book was telling people about teaching today's children. Although I have already raised my 36 year old son, I am a grandmother and a soon-to-be great-grandmother! (Yes, you heard that correct!) I plan to give this book to my expecting granddaughter and I recommend that you consider it for yourself and as a gift to new parents.

Update Jan 2, 2010: No sooner did I write this review than I was at a local New Age shoppe. They had a musical get-together and a lady was there with her granddaughter (probably born about 2000 to 2002). The lady was remarking how intensely the child focuses in on any form of music. I immediately thought of this book and how it mentioned the sensitivities of the Children of Now.

Update March 11, 2010: The lovely Alexis (my granddaughter) gave birth to a beautiful baby boy today. So little Joshua Allen Duke will be getting the benefit of the book. Of course, that makes me the world's youngest great grandmother :-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2010 10:13:50 AM PDT
Eileen says:
I would like to send congratulations on the expected birth of your great grand son!... and to add that this review alone has convinced me to purchase this book! I am a grandmother of 4 from 1 year to 10 years old! My granddaughter (age 10) told me the other day at her younger cousin's first b'day party, that she and a girlfriend saw a fairie at summer daycamp the week before!..She is a bright child and this came from her heart; her ability to express something that was continuously surpressed while I was growing gives me hope for my extremely advanced and very sensitive grandchildren. I compare notes with one of my sisters regarding nieces and nephews now in the family and how "spiritually advanced" and gifted they all seem to be; even a 2 year old speaking to a very newly deceased older cousin while no adult had yet explained the sudden and tragic family loss! He saw her in the room!.. I myself lost a younger child a number of years ago who himself was gifted, very spiritually connected and...unfortunately, diagnosed with ADD; his life was very difficult, and what I learned later is so much of what every parent (and grandparent) today would do well to learn and understand about these beautiful children.. To know them is a gift in itself and to know they are our future gives us who "understand" hope. I love your review of the book and look forward to getting my copy which I will most assuredly share with my grandchildren's parents! Thank you. emr

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 9:28:31 AM PDT
Kathy W says:
Thank you for your kind comments. Although I am much more "seasoned" than the children (age 61), even I can remember riding Pegasus as a child at night. I forgot about it for many many years, but always loved pictures of him and other horses. About a year ago, I remembered. Was it a dream? Probably not because it happened many many times. -- So all of us have probably had many experiences we have just forgotten. -- I pray for you in your loss. I cannot imagine anything more heartbreaking than for a mother to lose her child. God bless you for sharing so that others may understand.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›