Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars XP400 Comprehensive Review, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400 Dolby Surround Sound Gaming Headset (Video Game)
I've had the head set for a couple of weeks now and I have mixed feelings, though overall a positive reaction. I was upgrading from a Turtle Beach X1, which was wired. One of the reasons I decided to get the XP400 instead of the X41 or X42 was because many people complained that the X41 and X42 had interference if they were near a wireless router. I live in a one bedroom apartment and my turtle beach would be within 2 feet of my router so that would be a big problem. I am happy to report that the XP400 has had no problems being next to my router so the claim that it has no interference is true.

Instead of providing your own batteries, this head set has internal rechargeable batteries. I actually like it because you can recharge while playing. The charging cord is as long as the wired headset cords and one cool thing about the charger is that it is a USB cable, so you can charge it in any USB port. I have been charging it from my computer USB port and sometimes from my XBOX's USB port. Not to mention you can use this headset for both PS3 and XBOX 360, which I have both so its a great thing to have.

One feature that I really like that I didn't think I would use is the Bluetooth feature that can connect to a phone. I don't have the greatest phone reception in my apartment so using my turtle beach to talk on the phone has completely fixed that, not to mention that I can now talk hands free! You can also talk while playing, which I've only done once but its nice.

One thing it doesn't do is sync music from your phone, which other headsets do so if thats a big deal you should look at other turtle beach headsets. Also, because chat uses bluetooth, you can not talk on the phone and game chat at the same time. Once the phone call is over, it goes right back to game chat though.

Some people have complained about problems pairing the head set to the turtle beach, an easy way around that is to take the charging cable and plug the headset into the XBOX and then press the pairing button, and just like that they are synced. For the bluetooth chat just make sure you press the bluetooth button on the headset and the chat button on the controller piece at the SAME time and it will automatically sync. It doesn't really explain that, but it is really easy to set up if you know you need to press the buttons at the same time. It took me about 10-15min to set everything up.

The sound in the headsets are great! They have a blast limiter setting which muffles the sounds of gunfire and explosions so you can hear footsteps and small noises better. I have already seen an increase in my scores for shooting games. Another great thing is the surround sound, which allows you to hear the direction of noises. The cheaper model XP 300 is only stereo sound, which is the main difference between the XP300 and XP400 and that is a huge difference to me.

The biggest con is comfort. My X1 headset was really comfortable so I thought this one would be comfortable too, it's not. The problem is that the ear pieces press against your head to try and make a good seal, but the pressure ends up hurting after awhile. Another thing is that its a bit big for my head. I'm a 115 pound girl so my head is pretty small, so if you feel like you have a small head the head set will probably be a bit big for you, still works, just a bit bulky.

Overall Pros- great sound, great bluetooth feature, works near wifi, PS3 and XBOX compatible, wireless gaming, surround sound, charges while playing, and long charge cable.

Cons- not very comfortable, a bit too big for my head, doesn't sync music through bluetooth, if you do not have an XBOX slim you need to buy a headset adapter cable (if you were using HDMI for your headset before, you would have already bought this), and if the internal battery dies you can't replace them.

I personally like the headset and am happy with the purchase, I just wish it was more comfortable considering how much I paid for it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]