5.0 out of 5 stars This mixer will change the way you cook, August 7, 2002
This review is from: KitchenAid K45SSWH K45SS Classic 275-Watt 4-1/2-Quart Stand Mixer, White (Kitchen)
Unlike many of the reviewers, I've only had this mixer for about a year, and it's this specific model, the 250W 4.5 quart mixer (the bottom of the Kitchenaid line). It was a real splurge at the time we purchased it, but it has turned out to be well worth it.
Before the Kitchenaid, I didn't do much baking. I tend towards more "manly" cooking techniques: the hotter the fire, the spicier the recipe, the better as far as I'm concerned. But this machine is as satisfying to use as any power tool in the garage -- there is something about using the *right* tool for the job, and I've found no tasks that one might consider using a mixer for that the Kitchenaid doesn't excel at. But it's especially good for baking, and once you start using it, you'll have your oven running a lot more than you used to.
The big difference between this mixer and the standard "two beater" models you may be familiar with is that it uses a single mixing attachment that rotates in two motions- it not only spins on its own axis, it also is rotated around the edge of the bowl. This does an extremely effective job of mixing ingredients without need for the bowl rotating, since the mixing motion covers the entire bowl. For most mixing jobs, it also requires no scraping of the sides with the spatula. IE: when it's mixing, you can ignore it and work on other stuff.
The first attachment I'll mention is the dough hook, which is a godsend for kneading. In the last day, I've made pizza dough, bagels, and whole wheat bread. Although this is the least powerful machine Kitchenaid makes, it kneads stiff dough (like the aforementioned bagels made with high-gluten flour) that would turn your mother's mixmaster into a smoking, stinking heap of fried motor components. Machine kneading takes a *lot* of the effort and variability out of making bread... you never "knead in" too much flour to keep it from sticking to your hands, and the 20 minutes you normally spend working the dough turns into 10 minutes you can use to clean up the kitchen.
The other two attachments are the paddle and the whisk. The paddle is the all-purpose "workhorse" beater, and works extremely well for creaming sugar and butter together, mixing cookie dough or cake batter, or any other general-purpose mixing job. With the orbital motion, it comes right up to the edge of the bowl, so it is effectively scraping as it goes. The whisk is great for egg whites and making whipped cream. I'm sure it's good for something else, but that's what I've used it for.
As for capacity, the 4.5 quart model is suitable for pretty much any "normal" home recipes. It's a "standard mixer". It will easily knead enough dough at once for two loaves of bread, or mix a double-batch of cookies.
As for downsides: this thing is HEAVY. You won't be moving it once it's in place. If you knead very stiff dough, the bowl sometimes will get tightened to the extent that it is very difficult to remove from the base. It's OK if you remember to leave it a little loose beforehand, but I always forget and I end up wrestling with the machine to twist it out. The metal trim band on the mixer right above the bowl has come a little loose on my model- the machine got a bit hot after some heavy kneading, and I think some adhesive got soft. It's held in place well by something else, but sometimes it will slip when I'm wiping the machine off. It's purely cosmetic from what I can tell, and it's the only thing that feels cheap in any way about this machine. Other than that, I honestly haven't had a single complaint.
In summary: this is an expensive mixer, but it is very well worth it. Even novice cooks will find it's use enjoyable, and it will inspire you to explore new things that you probably didn't do before because of the time and effort involved.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2009 7:33:13 PM PST
Given me good comments as I didn't realize it was only one beater but seems to do the job, even better. I have a Sunbeam I got many years ago and am considering a Kitchenaid.

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 10:42:46 AM PDT
Bev says:
Great, informative review! I was wondering why the bowl got so tight on the stand! I wish I had more counter space, I dread lifting and carrying it back and forth from my dining room, or I'd probably use it more.It is well worth it though, and we made a batch of fudge once that DID have my hand mixer smoking, I unplugged it and threw it outside. What a smell! We should have used the kitchen aid! I'm going to make room on my counter today. Great review.

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 5:08:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2010 5:30:03 PM PST
Justfornow says:
Does anyone know if this is the SAME as the 70's era K45 KitchenAid? My Mom wore that one out, MAKING BREAD EVERY WEEK for 29 years, but I kept the BOWL, and I wonder if this old K45 BOWL will fit the K45SS?? Mom's K45 was a gem and the bowl is heavy stainless steel but has no handle - l use it for raising bread because it holds heat so well. (I know this old bowl does NOT fit the newer KitchenAid Stand Mixers, but does it fit the "K45 SS"?) Thanks!

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 12:31:02 PM PST
C. Hudnall says:
"As for downsides: this thing is HEAVY. You won't be moving it once it's in place."

Just an FYI, I agree, which is why I purchased a cheap, small, jelly roll pan (I got it from a garage sale), and placed my mixer on it. Glides across the counter with ease now, and counter doesn't get scratched. WooHoo! When I'm done using, after cleaning, I tuck the cord into the bowl, cover everything and slide it back into the corner. You know, those corners on your counter that if you aren't tall or have really long arms, you can't reach! ;o) Sits out of the way when not using, yet there for when needed - usually every other day!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 8:36:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 25, 2011 8:37:17 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 8:39:24 PM PST
yes it will fit..because it is a k4 series..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 12:34:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 5, 2012 12:34:51 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 10:25:44 AM PST
Hello,
Thank you for the review. I like to make almond butter and I see a grain grinder but it says 'non-oily'and so wondering if you have done any nut butters. Almonds are hard and so looking for comments on that. Wishing you well,
JS