Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Good not great, October 6, 2011
This review is from: Seasons Greetings: A Jersey Boys Christmas (Audio CD)
When I heard about this CD I immediately felt I had to add it to my collection. I loved Jersey Boys. I love Christmas. Can't miss, right? Well, I should have thought a little more about what I really expected this CD to be.

The thing I loved about Jersey Boys was hearing iconic songs performed very closely to the classic sound. The thing about Christmas music is that most songs have been performed by hundreds of artists. So, instead of wanting a song to sound a certain way, what I look for in a new Christmas CD is a familiar song performed in a new way. Using this criterion, the Jersey Boys CD falls a little short for me. As misterposter points out, this is not a Four Seasons Christmas CD. These are artists in their own right (Broadway musical artists to be exact) performing mostly well-known Christmas songs. The flavor is definitely 50s-60s, but if you just heard the songs out of context it would usually not remind you of the Four Seasons.

I recommend reading the liner notes before listening to the CD, and for this reason I definitely recommend the CD as opposed to the MP3 download. The liner notes alert you to listen for hints of Come On Marianne, Bye Bye Baby, etc., in specific songs. On my first listen, without having read the notes, I didn't hear them. Even with the cheat sheet, some of the references are pretty subtle, especially if you listen for the vocals rather than the orchestration. But the liner notes do enhance the experience.

The CD is advertised as being the first holiday album to come from a Broadway show, or some such. That seems like a pretty fine point. There have been plenty of various-artists holiday albums produced for charitable causes. In fact, the track O Holy Night was originally recorded by the JB Broadway cast to benefit Broadway charities. I would have felt better about this CD if the benefits were going to charity. Jersey Boys has made gobs of money over the years (and rightfully so, it is a blast), and it would have been nice to give something back.

So anyway, back to the album itself. I really didn't think it was all that special. When it comes down to it, no one can really sound like Frankie Valli when performing a song not made famous by the Four Seasons. There is a Drifters-like doo-wop version of White Christmas. I'm sure it was fun to record but the Drifters did it better. The most original arrangement is a synth-pop version of a lesser-known tune Angels From the Realm of Glory with a little Beethoven's Fifth thrown in - not for everybody. What you get is just under an hour of Broadway-flavored Christmas music - pleasant to be sure but not groundbreaking, playing off the incredible success of the Jersey Boys phenomenon to put a little more money in the pockets of its creators.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2011 6:58:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 7:01:54 PM PDT
"Seasons Greetings: A Jersey Boys Christmas" is the perfect blend of Holiday music and Jersey Boys. With much anticipation, we just finished listening to the CD and once again the brilliance of Bob Gaudio has prevailed. Through the many stage casts from around the world, Bob has arranged these holiday selections in the style of The Four Seasons.

To those who may have been disappointed, your lack of appreciation of Bob Gaudio's talents are evident. Purchase with the confidence that you will not be disappointed and will continue to enjoy it over and over as you have done with the original cast album of The Jersey Boys.

However, when pre-purchasing through Amazon.com be fore warned that the discounted price has just gone down and the bait and switch of Amazon is nothing less than disappointing. Hopefully they will credit those that paid too much and keep their customers.

Merry Christmas, Season Greetings and say "Oh What A Night"!

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 8:54:54 AM PDT
I just found this as a recommendation and was all set to buy the CD (and at a cheap price). I loved the Jersey Boys CD and have seen the show live. I have to say that, even if unintentional, the very use of the name Jersey Boys and the cover art would lead you to think that you'd hear the songs as Frankie and the Four Seasons may have recorded them. All the disclaimers to the contrary can't negate a very misleading name and cover. I listened to several of the samples. They're not bad, they are just not that special. Sounds almost as if any one of hundreds of performers could have recorded them. With Christmas songs having been recorded for decades by thousands of artists, I need something unique. I've probably got over 300 Christmas CDs, so of course almost any song here can be found on dozens of CDs I own. Now when I buy a Christmas CD I make sure it brings something new. From what I heard, that isn't the case here. Again, not a bad album, but no reason for me to buy it.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 2:23:52 PM PST
If you like Christmas music AND Theater, check out the new mp3 album, Everything Christmas: The Christmas Songs of Jeffrey Cornell featuring original songs sung by great theater vocalists like David Burnham, Julie Garnyť, Michelle Duffy, and Daniel Tatar.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›