1.0 out of 5 stars All About The Cash, November 9, 2010
This review is from: Bon Jovi Greatest Hits [The Ultimate Collection][2 CD Deluxe Ed (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Bon Jovi since their first CD and lately, Bon Jovi has become more a business machine, than a rock band who cares about the music and their fans. Just watch "The Circle" DVD and even Jon admits that he is now the "CEO of a multi-million dollar corporation". Whatever happened to "Me I'm just a singer in a long haired rock and roll band"? From premium concert tickets that are not being made available to the regular Joe anymore because they are now "VIP Packages" available for more $, to a terrible marketing ploy to re-release all the CD's as "Special Editions" to force fans to spend more money for what essentially are the same releases. Hey Jon, wanna make a Special Edition of old CD's, how about releasing them as live CD's from track 1 to the last with recordings from that era? Just give us something different if you're going to milk us anyway. This Greatest Hits is no different. It's just an expanded copy of "Crossroads". Throw in 4 new mediocre songs (which you can't get all 4 unless you buy the "Ultimate" collection) to make us feel better about our purchase. I know that music is a business, but there is such a thing as milking the fanbase too much. I'll probably get a lot of crap from other Bon Jovi fans, but I'm just getting tired of us fans spending our hard earned cash on overly recycled materials.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2010 12:05:08 PM PST
I so agree with JustMeFromNJ!!! Used to be a huge Bon Jovi fan. Paid $75 for my first concert. Saw about 5 concerts paying $125 for nosebleed seats at the last concert. Haven't been to one since. Tired of spending a huge amount of money for just the "same ole show"! Stopped buying CD's about 4 CD's ago, they all sound the same to me. People could learn alot from Kid Rock, charged $39 for the last concert and it ROCKED!! He's still getting rich, but instead of raping his fans, he's rocking them and appreciating them. Sorry Jon Bon Jovi, loved you when you were the singer in a long haired rocking roll band but just got tired of feeling used and abused as your fan. Stopped being one of those fans who will buy "whatever you put out there". Too much awesome music out there to enjoy!!!

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 12:22:21 PM PST
PAC MAN says:
I agree with you. The fact that all the special editions weren't remastered is a complete waste of money to purchase also. This ultimate edition is also missing their huge hit never say goodbye. Remember that one?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 12:47:13 PM PST
I couldn't agree more! It really stopped being about you & me a while ago! You can't get close to the stage without being in the fan club or without dropping $1,000. I don't know about any of you guys but I'm out of work! Even if I could afford to pay $1,000 for a ticket...I would have to think that is an absurd amout of money to charge ANYBODY! That's almost rent or mortgage for most people & you have the balls to ask that for ONE seat! As for the one time showing of the movie "The Circle" in theatres on November 8, 2010...I can almost predict that DVD will be out, just in time for Christma$! I used to live close to Jon's childhood home...16 Robinhood Drive, Sayreville, NJ and have every cd put out, been to over 40 shows...and continue to send Jon's kid to college! It's really getting to be insulting that "The multi-million dollar corporation" feels the need to milk me dry! It'll be hard letting you go...but I think it's time to Bounce!

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 2:40:09 PM PST
i agree 10000%. I love the band, grew up with them, but wow have they changed from a rock and roll bunch of dudes from jersey into a corporation where the bottom line is money. i have to go buy a greatest hits package and spend my hard earned money just to get 4 new songs? on top of the other songs i already own multiple times over. Tink of it, you start in the 80's with the slbums, then the cassettes, then cd's, a few greatest hits alreat, then the 100,000 million fans cant be wrong which was awful, then this left feels right CD which was garbage, and then the merchandising which is just raping the fan. the fan club is amongst one of the most expensive in fan club cirlces, and you get nothing for it, except the chance to buy VIP tix and the VIP doesnt even get to meet the guys, but you get to bring home a chair from the show, really? i need a chair, a $1,000 chair. Jon, you're a great performer, but you stopped being a rock guy a long time ago. you turned into a business man, and while it's great for you and your family and the band, you're pissing on the very people who has put you where you are. so keep your greatest hits, your insane concerts prices, and merchandising, and just stop to thank God that after 20+ years, you still sucker the parents, and the kids into handing it over to you. thats not cool. it used to be about the music Jon, the fans and the music. I'm also sorry to see one of the last great bands acting like sell outs. You know what makes KISS so cool? That gene is a merchandising whore, but he happily accepts and admits it. and tells everyone he is. The only thing missing from you is a reality show to showcase you, your brand name and the merchandising you still push. all cool, but your prices, they are not for the noraml, average fan. Put it this way, an 18 year old version of you could never afford to be a fan of you today. too expensive. Jon you need to give back, stop all this taking.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 6:48:54 PM PST
Robert Busko says:
Rene, you want to stop Bon Jovi's piratical behavior? Quit supporting them by buying their crap. Trust me, that will do it.

Eventually he's going to be making the circuit of small venues. You'll be able to see him and his band for a few bucks. It happens!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 4:43:21 AM PST
Robert....I'm waiting for this CD to be like $5.00 on ebay before I buy it!
I know the smaller venues will happen but it's just sad to feel like you're beig taken for a ride!
No amount of money can make that better!

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 6:46:30 AM PST
JustMeFromNJ says:
I'm relieved to see that I'm not alone on this and not the only one who stopped drinking Bon Jovi's Kool-Aid.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 8:30:22 AM PST
Ariana says:
@JustMeFromNJ: Very well said. Can't believe how much they've changed, unfortunately for worse. I stopped buying their albums when they released "Have a nice day", after that I refused to keep on wasting my money on them.
That so called "new sound" of them is awful, their latest songs are absolutely forgettable - I wish they were more creative.
Such a pity they're charging that amount of money for the concert tickets, JBJ should feel ashamed....
It saddens me writing all this since I grew up with their music, I'm 29 years old and when I was 15 I never thought I'd write such a horrible review for a BJ's album, sucks.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 6:37:14 PM PST
A. G. Tant says:
The last concert I went to in the beginning of this year may really be my last. It was, I think, #13. I want to see the old Bon Jovi...I'm not loving the newer stuff at all. The songs seem to be nothing but strung together rhyming cliche's, not original whatsoever. It's as if JBJ knows no matter what he does the fans will buy it. The shows are no longer high energy and while I know they are getting 'older' I really didn't pay that hideous ticket price to get 45 mins of acoustic that practically put me to sleep. One of my favorites, Someday I'll Be Saturday Night...Slow! Acoustic! YUK! They seem to have needed a breather...yet it was a snoozer of a concert! They were my very first concert, I was 14, Joe Louis Arena/Detroit May 25, 1985 and I literally CRIED to be in the same building with them. Bums me out to walk out of a concert disappointed.
I'll always have a soft spot for them, there's no doubt about that, but it's kinda sad that the magic seems to have dissipated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 8:19:47 PM PST
NT says:
The only stuff worth hearing from them is their 80's songs anyways. Crossroads is only 5 bucks or less used.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›