5.0 out of 5 stars It's amazing., July 12, 2012
This review is from: Samsung S390G Prepaid Phone With Triple Minutes (Tracfone) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
EDIT 10/9/12: I think there are a small percentage of defected phones out there, so if you're having MAJOR problems with your phone, this may be why. But again, this is just a small percentage, so make sure that you have absolutely tried everything to get your phone working to do whatever you're having trouble with. If not, you may be one of the unlucky people who got a defected phone. But for the third time, this is a VERRRRYYY small percentage of phones, so make sure you know for sure before you send it back!!!

10/9/12 HOW TO SET UP WIFI -
PRESS "MENU." OKAY, GOT THAT?
THEN, SCROLL TO "WIFI."
PRESS THE "SELECT BUTTON." (AKA, THE LEFT SOFT KEY BUTTON OR THE BIG BLACK SCROLLER THING IN THE MIDDLE.)
OKAY ARE YOU GUYS WITH ME HERE?
IT WILL SAY "SEARCHING."
THEN, CLICK ON YOUR WIFI ROUTER'S NAME. YOU WILL ITS SETTINGS.
OKAY, BEFORE PRESSING "SAVE", MAKE SURE YOU SCROLL DOWN TO "PASSWORD."
TYPE IN YOUR PASSWORD. (MAKE SURE YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE IT IS CORRECT!!)
AFTER YOU TYPE IN THE CORRECT PASSWORD, PRESS THE "SAVE BUTTON." (THE LEFT SOFT KEY BUTTON.)
AND WALAHHH!
I think some people are having trouble with the wifi because they aren't scrolling down far enough to enter their password, and then saving it. MAKE SURE YOU AREN'T ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE OKAY? I think one or two of you guys left comments a long time ago saying how no one is helping you with the wifi. WELL THERE YA GO! (:

First of all, I have to say this: You are INSANE if you have this phone and do not like it. Seriously. This is the best phone I've ever had. I had a touch screen from ATT, but my parents thought they were paying too much for it, so they decided to change it. (My mom was already an existing Tracfone customer, so that's why she thought this would be a better deal for me since I don't even text/call much.) Since I was never a heavy texter or anything, it wasn't really a big deal for me that I had to change. The main reason why I loved my previous phone was because of the touch screen, and how easy it was to type on it. But to be honest, I was actually kind of excited for a change in the phone I had. My previous touch screen was still a great phone though. ANYWAYS - I'm not here to support my old phone, I'm here to support my new one.

I've read a bunch of reviews online and most of them were complaining about the setup taking too long, not being able to activate the phone, not being able to set up the wifi, charging minutes for using wifi, etc. I don't know what the heck these people are doing wrong, but the wifi DOES work, and no they do NOT charge you a penny to use it.
Do not change your mind in getting the phone just because of THIS. Obviously those are just personal problems that they are having because they do not know how to "properly" set it up. If you are PATIENT in what you are doing, you will get it. It really annoys me how people keep complaining about something when really, all they need to do is be patient. Patience is a virtue, remember? I don't understand why so many people are having trouble with this. It took me just half an hour to transfer my mom's old Tracfone number and minutes to the phone, and it took about another half an hour as well to set up my new phone too. Come on, if a 16 year old can do this all by herself, I'm sure you folks can too. The 1500 minutes came in at about an hour after I activated them.

Also, the wifi on this phone is amazing! It's pretty fast, and I'm happy with it. If you are having problems with the wifi, it is most likely because you don't know how to set it up, you're doing it all wrong, or there is something wrong with your wireless connection in your house. Don't blame it on the phone because it works perfectly fine for me. I suggest that you download the full user manual online as the one they provide with the phone does not have full information on this topic. Trust me, I promise you that you will be able to set up the wifi. It is very easy, easier than you think. Oh yeah, but here's a warning: Whenever you go online, make sure that you are connected to wifi. If the phone is not connected, you will end up losing lots of minutes very, very fast. To know if you're connected by wifi, the bars by the volume symbol must be green. Green means that you are connected to the internet by wifi. If it's blue, it means that there's no wifi and you'll get charged if you go online like that. Some of you may think the screen may be too small to be used on the internet, but I don't see any problem!

Okay, now I'll begin talking more about the phone.

One minor thing about the phone is that whenever I press the "space" button on the keyboard, a period pops up. I know why this is happening though. It's because this is similar to the iPhone wear you double click on the space bar really fast so a period will pop up. As of now, the only solution I can find to this is not pressing the space bar directly in the middle. Press on the side of it and the period won't pop up. Hopefully this problem will go away after I start using the phone more. I'll update if it improves for me.

Another tiny problem for me is that the soft keys (the send, end, and the two middle keys) are not backlit. The whole bottom keyboard is backlit though, which is a good thing. I don't know what I'd do if they weren't. But if the top keys were back lit, that would be PERFECT for me. But again, it isn't a big problem.

And also, for some reason, sometimes a random message pops up saying "email login failed" or something like that, and then it deducts half a minute! Anyone else with me or is it just me? I don't understand that part. It's probably because my phone got disconnected from wifi but I don't want my phone deducting half a minute every time the wifi is not connected! I'll find out more about this later and update. If you're having this problem too, I suggest deleting your email account from the phone for now until we figure out why they keep deducting minutes like this every time the wifi disconnects. EDIT: I found a way to stop this message from popping up and deducting my minutes. Whenever you take your phone somewhere that doesn't have any wifi, make sure to go to "Receiving options" and then "Auto sync." You should see the choices On, Home Network Only, or Off. Press off. This may take some time to do each time you get out of wifi service, but it help from getting deducted minutes. Then when you get back to your house or whatever with good wifi connection,turn it back to "Home network only."

Typing on this phone is okay. I'll probably get used to it though. Overall with the typing, it's so so. It's not as easy as typing on an iPhone or something like that, but like I said, you will get used to it after using it for a while. The buttons are the right size, so don't worry about them being too "small." It's just like a Blackberry. Obviously if you just switched from a fancy dancy smart phone, it's probably going to take some time to adjust to this new keyboard. I've also seen some reviews where people are like, "UGH THE KEYS ARE SO SMALL!! I'M RETURNING IT BACK! I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH YOU TRACFONE." Wow, seriously? Give this phone a break and stop trying to find the negative out of everything. I'm sorry but these kind of people really annoy me. They act like it's the end of the world.

OH - and also, some people think that this phone has voice text messaging. If you're expecting to talk to your phone and then it'll type in everything you say, it's not going to work. This phone doesn't have that feature. What it does have is you can record your voice in a little audio thing and then send it via text message.

For those of you who like putting little charms/landyards on your phone, with this phone, you have to remove the battery cover and then insert the charm in from there. Then put the cover back on.

The touchpad is great. It's very easy to use, and I got used to it after using it for a minute.

The camera quality is eh, okay. Better than nothing. But remember that this isn't meant for taking pictures. This is meant for texting/calling. That's what "phones" are for. If you want a camera with great quality, get an actual camera.

This phone is a speaker phone too. When you're in the middle of a call, just click the center button and the speaker will turn on.

You can also listen to music on here too. Just make sure you add additional memory. This phone can store external memory up to 32gb. And the head jack is 3.5mm. (Just like regular earphones. I'm shocked because previous Samsung phones I've had had weird head jack sizes. But this one is normal.)

Oh and I forgot to mention that you can get apps on this phone. Go to getjar.com to download apps for free. There are lots of apps websites like this. Getjar.com is just one of them. But here's the main problem for me with this. For some apps that I try to download, I end up getting a "connection failed" message, and I never get the app saved onto the phone. It's like this with apps like Facebook chat, Yahoo mail, etc. And for some other apps, when I AM able to save them onto my phone, whenever I go to them, this message keeps popping up saying "you are accessing the network. Data charges may apply." Of course I click yes because i'm using wifi, but the message still keeps popping up every 3 seconds to the point where I want to just throw my phone at a wall. This is the only thing I really, really, REALLY hate about this phone. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out what's going on soon. If anyone knows a solution to this, please tell.

Youtube works great too. Better than I expected. :)

Battery life lasts really long too. I'm able to surf the web for about 5+ hours until one bar goes down. And there are 5 bars total. Within this past week, I only had to charge it once! It's amazing.

The service is great. But that's the service in MY area. Hopefully it's great for you too.

Overall, I think you should get this phone because I can guarantee that you will not regret it. (Depending on if you're one of those people who find the negative in everything.)

This isn't exactly a "full" smartphone, but it looks like one and it's pretty cool. I have no complaints besides for the few minor ones I listed above. Don't believe all the negative stuff people are saying about this phone. This is a wonderful phone that anybody, any age will love. I as a teenager, am love this phone. If you are a teenager as well, you will love this. If you are planning on getting this for your teenage kids or something, they will love you forever. Take my word on that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 81-90 of 222 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 1:29:01 PM PDT
So, chances are better than not that most of us with this phone will probably need an exchange after this error screen makes the phone virtually unusable?? I sure hope it doesn't get worse after time as was the case with your MP3 player, but I won't be surprised if you're correct.

I know you definitely are correct about some people having worse problems with that than others. I recall you saying on here in a previous post that you got the black screen after searching your contact list to call someone, and also after sending a text, right? I've only gotten the black screen after playing back videos a number of times, and then once after searching through some file on my SD card.

That's actually my only complaint, really...that the camcorder on my phone is rendered virtually useless with the "Blocking Defence" that keeps wanting to pop up after playing back the video. The rest of the features, including WIFI, email client, and games and apps I've downloaded all seem to work great with this phone.

The thing I find weird is that I've never once had a youtube video crash on this phone while streaming. Yet, I can't seem to make a single RECORDED video play without first crashing in the black screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 12:34:24 PM PDT
I installed the Google Maps app successfully from this link...thanks!!

Anyone have _any_ luck with getjar.com apps? I want to download some apps that are available there exclusively. Every time I try to download one of there apps, I get a "Connection Failed" error, after it asks me if I want to download it (and charges may apply) but before it actually starts downloading. Since I've successfully installed apps from elsewhere, I'm beginning to think the problem is getjar...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 12:51:16 PM PDT
STDog says:
Yes I have. I always get that warning when I download from Opera and it starts the built-in browser for the download. As long as wi-fi is up and running it should be OK.

The connection failed message makes me think wi-fi turned off.

Are you using wi-fi?

You can turn on "airplane mode" then activate wi-fi. That will prevent the phone form using the cell network without you realizing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 12:55:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 12:57:36 PM PDT
I have the wifi connected (green circle and one bar), and tried it both through Opera and through the built-in browser. I've successfully installed other apps from the same connection, just a different website... I'm currently trying to install YouVersion.
Just tried again...Asks me if I want to download it, I click save, and then the error message pops up.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 1:11:14 PM PDT
STDog says:
I've haven't used getjar in a while. they made it hard to work with a computer instead of a phone.

I just tried. Got BlackSharck_3D without issue (other than long load times for the pages).

Got a warning about it not being signed but that was all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 4:05:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 4:10:56 PM PDT
I am trying to download YouVersion (the Bible) and a French dictionary. I didn't get any warnings about the content being unsigned when trying to download either of those apps. Both of these apps are rather large (600kb+).
I did try to download the Black Shark app you mentioned, and it download successfully (though I was warned about the content being unsigned). It is about 300kb in size. Maybe the difficulty is because both of the apps I'm trying to download are so large?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 4:24:35 PM PDT
I've got the Go Bible, both KJV and NIV versions which are 1400K+
I didn't get them from getjar though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 5:25:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 5:37:10 PM PDT
E. Snyder says:
Didn't work for me, I get the error Kelly mentioend - keeps stating that charges may apply (I'm connected via wifi and tried in airplane mode and not in airplane mode). I think the app is unsigned. I might be missing some nuance in your directions though. I go to facebook and scroll (and scroll and scroll) down then select to install the app. I also figured out how to upgrade to 2.91 but still get the charges may apply warning every second or two. It is unusable.

I downloaded the BlackShark_3D game but after a half minute the "you are connected to the network, do you want to continue" warning came up. I hit "yes" but then the game stopped. Not sure what happaend. No minutes have been used/lost though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 7:00:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 10:24:50 AM PDT
Did you download them directly to your phone? If so, I really don't know what the issue is. I can't download either of the larger files, but could easily download the smaller one.

I contacted TracFone because I think there is an issue there. They gave me a code (in code entry mode) to update the phone. We'll see if it does the trick.

Edit (10/15/12): It didn't work and TracFone claims the issue is with the website, phone, or app. I think I actually believe them, since I successfully downloaded a larger app (as a test).

Here are links to the apps I'm trying to download: http://www.getjar.com/mobile/29005/bible-app and http://www.getjar.com/mobile/45926/offline-french-english-dictionary-for-samsung-gt-e2100/?ref=0&lvt=1350320971&sid=ixbd0kh5lbac1k3k&c=573w2aw20gknm2fz15&lang=en

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 12:23:32 AM PDT
STDog says:
Try going to My Folder and accessing the video from there.
That's how I've always accessed videos.

I just tried from the camera app after recording a few seconds and it crashed. After booting, went through My Folder, and it played fine (as did the other videos I have, some over 5 minutes long)

Then I went to the camera app, view, and played the new video just fine.
It was only after recording that it crashed.

Review Details