Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

2.0 out of 5 stars Simply Not Fun, December 10, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need for Speed Most Wanted - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I am not an expert reviewer, however I will do my best to convey what is on my mind. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts.

As I was looking at the reviews, I was surprised at how none of them... especially the negative ones missed the biggest problem with the game... IT JUST SIMPLY ISN'T FUN. The charisma, ingenuity and arcade style of the previous games is no longer here.

I have been a huge fan of entire "previous" NEED FOR SPEED series, except for maybe NFS: Shift. I was never looking for realism from the games. I always found the "over the top" racing incredible fun... the idea of outrunning the cops exilerating and the idea of reversing your role and becommming a cop was ingenious.

I've also had a great time playing The BURNOUT series as well. It was addictive seeing how much damage you could cause causing the biggest pileup scenario possible. It was a nice touch to give you a choice by winning races by either straight up racing or simply eradicating the competition through take downs.
Very satisfying indeed.

The above mentioned things were my favorite parts of NFS and Burnout. I was incredibly excited with the merger and couldnt wait to see what this game had in store. I WAS EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED. The racing is still "over the top", but it is so incredibly difficult that I dont know how anyone can be having a good time. After 20 times doing the same race and not even placing 3rd, it becomes more frustrating than it does fun. Navigating the track is mindboggling at times, there are no arrows to help guide your way, youre expected to keep your eye on your gps to know the right way. One wrong turn, or crash once and forget about it, you might as well start over... you will never catch up. Even if you are able to navigate the track effectively, the AI cars are always miliseconds behind you. Taking out an AI car can place you ahead of them, but they miraculously recover and spawn right back on your tail. The "cop chases" are here too, however it becomes quickly apparent that it will be more challenging than it will be fun. Still not sure how to lose cops... extreme speed doesnt work... taking side roads doesnt deter them... crazy routes keeps them on your tail... taking them down just causes more to spawn and any combination of the above is no more effective.

Gone are the possibilities of winning a race multiple different ways including takedowns, short-cuts and/or speed, only to be replaced by undefeatable AI... No more sole TAKEDOWN EVENTS... Eradicated are the events where you get to play the cop and chase the street racer... Destroyed are the events where you simply try to create the most mayhem possible... and Demolished is my faith in the new franchise.

I see what the creators are doing here. There is an attempt to make the racing seem like a simulator by making it extremely difficult... but I personally found this game so challenging, that it seems more like a chore than a pleasure. Not sure why the franchise is trying to be like every other racer out there when this merger gives the oppertunity to be so much more. Why not enhance what made the prior games so great instead of being like everyone else?

Aside from my disappointment, I do need to say that the graphics are exceptional. and there are a few glimmers of fun here, but they are few and far between and were consistentaly interrupted by the vulgarities that exit my lips as I loose another race for the 20th time in a row.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2013 3:12:37 PM PST
Knight says:
I got the game last night and I concur 100% I thought I wrote the review last night and forgot I wrote it. You were reading my mind.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 12:14:14 PM PST
Mitchell says:
The makers of the game wanted it to be more realistic racing then simple turns and stuff. The game was pretty easy to beat and the number 1 car wasn't even the best car in the game nor number 2 it was number 3 the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. Which upset, the police are easy to get away from when you have the Bugatti. The soundtrack was okay but they could of put some better songs on there. I like how they put cars (Jack spots) everywhere, which made the game also easier. I miss having a safe house to store your cars, but that didn't happen. I don't really like it when it says "Crashed" when you crash because its a waste of time. Trying to cool down was hard till I found out that you could shut your car off by pressing R3, and I hate that the Corvette cop cars can get in front of you and lay down spikes which I hated. But the game was pretty good over all Good Job NFS!

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 8:12:48 PM PST
My first need for speed game and first plat. The 'easy' races are easy and most of the medium races. The hard races you just have to be patient and eventually you will beat it. This game got me frustrated a bit but just keep trying and take the corners easily. Start off with cars that go slow and them work your way up. Thats what i did and got 100% completion. Some of the cop chases seem to be rigged b/c they will pop out of nowhere; especially ambushes. Do what Mitchell said, when you lose the cops press "R3" and your engine will turn off making the heat bars decrease very quickly. Hope you win some more races!

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 2:36:14 AM PDT
tmgn1 says:
I agree with your review 100%. I had high hopes for this game since it was billed as the "unofficial" burnout paradise sequel. Such a huge letdown this game was.

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 9:32:51 PM PDT
bz_sleeper says:
The frustrating part about this game is, where some of the regular races were too difficult, the "Most Wanted" races were annoyingly simple, even after 3 or 4 crashes I could catch up and win it. The AI in these races are very unskilled, they crash as often as I do. Meanwhile, you race a "Medium" race and the guy in 1st is un-catchable and cuts around every corner perfectly. They really messed up with setting the difficulty levels in this game.

As for the cop pursuits, it's so frustrating when you skillfully outrun a pursuit only to run into a roadblock spawning out of nowhere, and when you pass that, another one pops up a block away. And if you take a shortcut and go off-road, another one will spawn once you get back on. And when you try to hide, they always seem to manage to find you.

Anyways, I thought we'd get a fantastic game merging the Burnout and NFS..... instead, we get a mediocre Burnout game and mediocre NFS game.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›