1.0 out of 5 stars DOES work on Kindle Fire, but is problematic with TV shows., December 22, 2011
This review is from: Netflix (App)
OLD REVIEW 12/22/11 -- SEE BELOW FOR UPDATES

It DOES work on a Kindle Fire (KF), but it's still only okay. I wouldn't say it's great. At the time of this writing, the screen caps are for the older Netflix layout. It has since changed and not for the better, I might add.

It is problematic in both layout and video playback. The following are issues that I've come across in no particular order, except for the first two which are serious annoyances.

* (***PLEASE SEE UPDATE AT BOTTOM***) Playback audio lags... every single time in the world that I play a video at Netflix. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! That gets old very quick. Netflix definitely needs to fix the audio sync function. Pausing it and restarting it doesn't help, nor anything that I've tried. It's an app issue and I've gone to the website on my pc and reported a problem with every single one that I watched. You should too!
* When trying to view episodes of a TV show, it sometimes refuses to scroll down and there is much less space to view them since it is now a stupid floating pop up. I'm not sure whose brilliant idea this was, but they need to be fired.
* When trying to page from left to right, it'll jump down to the next row or to the row above despite the fact that my finger was in the same spot that it was before.
* In Kindle, if you have forgotten to turn on your Wifi, it'll say "Netflix is trying to connect to the available network. Then give you two buttons: Connect OR Exit. Neither button works. I have to tap the home key then start all over again.
* The Options Bar never minimizes and since the Menu button doesn't work, I cannot understand why it's there. The Options Bar search function doesn't work on Netflix either, as the Netflix search is at the top. I think one reviewer believes this is an Amazon issue, but I don't care who is to blame. It's weird and makes you think it's not working properly.

There are two other issues that I've seen complaints on, but I do NOT have. It is worth noting that there was an update to the Netflix app yesterday. Still, I didn't have these problems before the update either.
* Some say that the video quality is poor, but not with mine. I am not seeing any bad video quality at all. Mine is quite good, but the sound is definitely not in sync, which I discussed above.
* Mine does not freeze at all and I've not had to uninstall and reinstall either. Really, it works just fine.

All in all, it's better than not having it. Does it have issues? Yep! Do I still use it? Yep!

I'll continue to use it since I'm paying for a Netflix membership. I just think Netflix needs to get their head out of their behinds and fix the stupid thing. They are not on my list of good companies right now anyway, with inflated pricing and selfish attitudes either.

Again, just saying. ;)

===== UPDATE (forgot to insert date here): =====

Netflix recently updated their app via Amazon and the audio sync issue has not been a problem since. I felt that was important to note here.

===== UPDATE: 4/11/12 =====

This update is actually long overdue as this is a problem that has been around for not long after the undated update above. I should have written this long ago, but thought it would get fixed in a timely fashion. It did not.

Netflix changed its entire format on how you view the Netflix site, as well as starting up videos. The biggest issue here is a serious one and really only affects television shows. It is a pain in the neck to view episodes past what is on the screen to begin with. First of all, instead of taking you to a page with the list of all the seasons and episodes of said seasons, it gives you a pop up window of limited size. It will show maybe 4 or 5 episodes of Season X. When I scroll down (the popup is supposed to let you scroll, still in the popup) it snaps back up to the previously shown 4-5 episodes.

Attempting to select another season is just as bad. After several tries, you might be able to go from Season 1 to Season 7, if you're lucky.

Then try tapping on any of it. I tried tapping it until I was ready to scream, my husband tried and so forth. NOTHING! Their stupid popups are a total fail all the way around. As mad as I am about this, I am now downgrading Netflix from an original 3-stars, to a 1-star.

In order to set the correct episode of a season, I now have to log in on my computer, start the episode. Stop the episode, then switch to Kindle and select Resume from the top. That completely renders the whole idea of Kindle's Netflix as useless. I was lucky that one day because I had my computer handy. Most of the time I need to use Kindle though, I do NOT have one handy. That's the whole point of the app.

Netflix's user support stinks too. There is virtually no way to contact anyone without calling. I hate calling. I hate waiting and I never can say everything that I want to say. I prefer to write my thoughts down and submit them. Netflix doesn't want to hear about it though.

In any case, this problem has been an issues for well over a month (probably much longer than that).

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]