Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games

2.0 out of 5 stars No Spoilers Here--Totally Predictable Novel, October 11, 2012
This review is from: Blackberry Winter: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this novel to my Kindle after a recommendation in a magazine (can't recall which) sparked my interest. I love a good flip-flop back and forth in time mystery novel. As a mother, I was drawn to the story of the disappearance of a little boy in the 1930s and the present-day reporter who would solve the case. LOVE this idea, but this novel was so disgustingly predictable that I quit reading it. I have probably thrown down maybe 10 books over the years that I refuse to read any further (and I have read a lot of books), this was one of them. The storyline could have been used to the full advantage, but it's not. It's trite and overused and formulaic and just unbelievable as the "mysterious" pieces keep falling into place. The reporter just seems to get every clue handed to her, she hardly has to dig. She just turns up for coffee at the place where the boy and his mother lived in the 1930s. She happens upon clues so easily, there's no mystery, no suspense. If you're a heavy reader, you'll see through this one in no time flat. Disappointing.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2012 10:17:21 AM PDT
Amanda Burke says:
Just curious: If you're a "heavy reader" why is this the only book you've reviewed?
(I have no hidden agenda, I'm truly just curious.)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:18:47 PM PST
I ABSOLUTELY could not AGREE with you more!! I pre-ordered this book after reading a review in RealSimple magazine. I was enticed by the idea of a mystery/sleuthing, boy was I disappointed it turned to be the sappiest

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 2:10:52 AM PST
wexcat says:
I read approximately two books per week, but i have written only two reviews because they must be written the moment I'm done or I don't recall the details and it is time consuming to write something thoughtful and useful. YAY! Geat book is not useful. Either a review has details to support the opinion or it isn't worth writing. Check out the short reviews to see how many have even one vote for helpfulness. I don't want to take the time to do that since generally everything worth saying has already been written by someone else. The first review I wrote has become separated from me somehow, but it was 3years ago and generated a "blog" of its own that still gets responses and I took the time to write it because I hated the book enough to vent. I likewise loathed this book for all the reasons given by this reviewer, and I was angry enough for wasting my time to write that immediate review, but I threw in plot details creating a spoiler alert and I've already received one negative "vote". That is another reason not to write reviews...people disagree. My first review was published under a tag name which is how I think it isn't part of my review history. This one went under my real name, something I didn't realize would happen. It will now turn up on the Internet anytime someone searches my name, as will this. I will never critique another book. Privacy is important and I resent having book reviews follow me the rest of my life. So, this reviewer may not answer your question, but I hope I've given you sufficient reasons for being an avid reader while not taking the time to write reviews. Unless you are among the first with a brand new book as I was the first time, there is rarely anything new to say and your review gets buried. No one reads it once it gets past the first few to show up and it takes about a week to move to the next page.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:16:55 AM PST
Greeneyes says:
I had no idea one's own name would show up on a review without the owner's permission. Thanks for this information. I just tried to read a terribly written, but popular novel and gave it a very negative review. I'll be careful after this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:29:30 AM PST
Amanda Burke says:
Please don't stop reviewing books! It's extremely helpful to the reading community.
Only your screen name will appear if you have your preferences set correctly. (Amanda Burke is my nomme d'amazon - not my real name). I also hide my wish list from public view.
I like to click on the "see other reviews" by a reviewer because it gives me an idea of whether their tastes are similar to mine. I've learned to pay closer attention to the 1- or 2-star reviews than to the 5-stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:06:58 PM PST
Ellen Rudd says:
Thank you so much for your response. I feel a bit silly about the name thing. You're OK, BTW, with your nickname. I discovered I inadvertently logged in to amazon that day using a different password, one I used to use, so I had an account, but I had never set up a profile on it, so my own name was used. Totally my fault. However, I will be stuck with the scathing review I wrote for that book, buried somewhere in that list, following me on the Internet. I normally write as "wexcat" when I log in properly, so you would find my other reviews under that tag. I hope this relieves your concerns. No one is going to search the Internet on your tag. I need to check under that other password what reviews I've written. I had a serious memory blip when I used that old password. I guess that indicates how much I disliked the book!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:20:09 PM PST
Ellen Rudd says:
Thank you for writing because you alerted me to a really dumb thing I did when I logged in to write the scathing review that is buried in the pile of other reviews on his book. i fear there may be other reviews under my real name, but not the bulk. I used an old password for reasons I can't explain and I apparently never set up a profile with it. I need to log in using it again to see how many reviews are in here under my real name. For a list of reviews under my tag "wexcat", type it in. There aren't a lot because it is time consuming. When I really love or hate a book, I generally take the time. The first review I wrote under wexcat turned into a virtual blog. Years later I still get occasional comments on what I wrote. That book was so heartily disliked, it actually got 2"lists" going on comments. I checked my profile thanks to you and made my wish list private. I didn't realize it was visible. I will take your comments to heart and write more reviews. I generally don't if there are already more than 30 because no one sees mine. The first one I wrote got so many responses that it stayed on the "front page", but that generally doesn't happen. Checking wexcat will give you a limited idea of my taste in books. I read tons of English history, but don't review those books.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:21:04 AM PST
Greeneyes says:
If you haven't yet discovered Deborah Truscott then I highly recommend her. She's intelligent, an excellent story teller and her flip back in time novels gently draw you in naturally with wit and warmth.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:27:27 AM PST
Greeneyes says:
Thank you, and I'd like to recommend a novelist who writes seamlessly with intelligence, wit and good story telling. Susanna Kearsley. Her characters are well drawn.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:49:13 PM PST
Ellen Rudd says:
I love Kearsley. I downloaded one of her books 18 mos ago when I first got my iPad and immediately wanted everyone of her books and none of the others were available for "kindle". I went to Bookfinder, found most of her past published novels, and ordered all of them, so I've read almost everything she wrote and own the books. I have books stacked all over my house, so I've been trying to switch to ebooks, but it is a hard transition. Most of her books are now available to download, of course. She has a new one coming out in January and I haven't decided whether to get the paperback (no hardcover for some reason) or the ebook. There is almost no price difference. I tend to stick with hardcovers for authors I've been collecting for years and download new authors. Since I have all but one of Kearsley books in print, I'll probably go that route. And, for people reading this who are annoyed that this hasn't anything to do with the Jio book, if you look at "what other people ordered after buying this book", you'll find all of Kearsley's books on Jio's 3 book pages. I'm not sure how they are related, but the reverse is true as well, and I bought my first Jio book, Violets, because it was listed on a Kearsley page. It's been so long since I read Violets, I can't remember what it was about, only that I thought I remembered enjoying it, which is why I bought this one without downloading a sample first. One of the great advantages of a tablet is the ability to download the first one or two chapters of a book before buying it although I'm not sure I would have realized I didn't like this book that soon. You can also return ebooks within a time frame I can't tell you, but I've returned 3 books within 24 hours. Amazon removes them from my iPad the same way it put them there and refunds my money. Much easier than returning a hardcover you don't like. I think recommending new authors in these comment sections is helpful. I've found other new authors this way, so thank you again for the Trusscut recommendation. I'm looking forward to starting the book tonight.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›