4.0 out of 5 stars Nice upgrade from the original iPhone 4 Defender case, October 31, 2011
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Series Case and Holster for iPhone 4/4S - Retail Packaging - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I used the original Otterbox Defender case for my iPhone 4s, and while it worked ok, this version is a definite improvement. The hard plastic case and the screen protector seem to be the same as the original, other than having larger cut outs for the camera/flash and the front camera/light sensor/proximity sensor area. I never had issues using the 4s camera with the older version case, but I did with the proximity sensor and this case fixes that issue.

The holster has been changed to update the release mechanism. The tab that holds the phone in the holster has been shaped differently in order to make the phone easier to clip in and release.

The biggest upgrade is to the rubber jacket that fits over the plastic case. The rubber seems to be of much higher quality. It has a firmer, more substantial feel, and doesn't seem like it will lose shape over time. It gives the case a better grip in your hand and generally feels more solid overall.

The opening for the silent mode switch seems to still be off center, but not enough to be of concern.

If you are on the fence about whether to get the older iPhone 4 Otterbox Defender for your 4S or this updated version, I'd definitely pay the extra $10 or so and get the new version.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2011 10:25:59 PM PST
I have this case also but the hole for the plug in headset does not allow access to the hole

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 5:50:50 AM PST
K. Myers says:
The hole is for the microphone, not the headphone plug. I use a bluetooth receiver to plug my headphones in: Sony Ericsson Hi-Fi Bluetooth Stereo Headset with FM Radio

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 8:34:08 AM PST
Does the phone look odd if you don't attach the holster (ie hole on back of case?) I

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 10:48:25 AM PST
Geeky Girl says:
You mentioned the benefit of buying the newer design versus the older one in terms of the better rubber jacket. That makes sense, but I don't know how to tell the difference between the to, i.e. so that I buy the newer one. Is the name of the product different? How can I tell which one to pick?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 10:50:54 AM PST
K. Myers says:
The camera opening is the easiest way to tell. The new one has a largest oval cut out, while the older one has a very small teardrop shaped cut out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 11:16:29 AM PST
Geeky Girl says:
Thanks,

So I just want to clarify. The one with the largest opening looks like a teardrop shape to me, so I just wanted to make sure that I understand. The version that's listed at this link at the Otterbox site is the current one. Correct?

If the rubber sleeve is removed, would the phone be able to be docked on a dockable alarm clock, or do you think the phone would have to be removed from the case for it to fit on a dock like that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 11:20:07 AM PST
K. Myers says:
Yes that is the one. As far as a dock, it will not work with this case. You'd need a dock extender cable.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 11:27:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 11:42:54 AM PST
KD says:
Perhaps I got an older version of this but I found a case for $5 at a local store named Five Below that was much better than this. I had an Otterbox for my iPhone 3Gs and loved it (I still have that phone and the case). This is not what I expected from Otterbox. The cover for the headphone jack is meant to just be a cover as per Otterbox customer service. The hole is for the microphone as others have stated. Does not make sense to me but what do I know.

The part of the case that covers the charging port does not seem to stay down either which is unfortunate.

I am returning the case. For those who wonder if the Otterbox Defender 4 case will work on a iPhone 4S, the answer is no. On the other hand, this iPhone 4S case is suppossed to work on the iPhone 4. Regardless, I'll stick with my cheap case made by Spektrum (from the Premier Accessory Group) for $5. Too bad since I really like Otterbox but I fear they dropped the ball here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 2:05:55 PM PST
No, not at all. In fact it gives it a really nice ambiance showcasing the apple logo.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 2:07:26 PM PST
I believe you should be able to dock it with the case on.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›