4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, with one REALLY annoying flaw, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Blurex Ultra-Slim Case for Google Nexus 7 inch Tablet -- With built in Multi-Angle Stand + Premium Screen Protector Film (Clear),black (Personal Computers)
This cover is great, it looks great, it protects well, and is very functional for my new Nexus 7. Everything you need in a cover and more and the MORE is the problem. Every stinking time you fold the cover back on itself (as designed) the magnetic lock screen mechanism picks up the backside of the magnet and the screen shuts off and locks. Let me tell you what, this will drive you crazy within a day or two. What is REALLY frustrating is I have read that some of these type of covers can do this so I was careful to look for the problem. However, this one clearly states, right on the description and I quote,.....Does not activate sleep mode when cover is flipped all the way back....false advertising at its best.

I see no solution other than to return it, such a shame. Why would they not fix this and why would they clearly state it is not a problem when it clearly is? I suggest until they do, that you avoid this item.

UPDATE: Rather than hassle with the return, I decided to fix this myself. The magnet is a small round disc built into the back of the lower right hand corner of the front cover just to the right of the hand strap. By cutting just a couple of stitches to the right of that area I was able to fish it out. They apparently applied a small metal backing to the back of the magnet to decrease its field when it is folded back in order to not set off the lock. (Guess what guys, didn't work). I tightly wrapped the magnet in about 4 layers of aluminum foil in order to decrease the magnetic field even more and slid it back into place and viola...it locks the device when I close it, but not when I fold it back.

Now I have a couple of torn stitches but at least it works and I have been reading that several of these types of covers have this same issue so there is no use sending it back only to have the same problem with another brand. So here is a hint to the guys that apparently actually get paid to design things like this...try some Reynolds wrap next time.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: After I posted the above review and update I received a surprised email from the manufacturer. They were very apologetic regarding the difficulty that I experienced with their product. They offered a detailed explanation and more importantly they offered to send me a brand new cover that they assured me would not suffer from the same issue. As they requested, I gave them my mailing address and as promised, one week later I received a package from them. I opened the package but it did not contain a new cover as promised. What it contained was a very small "sticker" that said BLUREX on it, stuck to a scrap piece of wax paper. I assume I was supposed to stick this to the inside of my cover to block the magnet placed in the cover but I am not sure since there were no instructions, no note, no nothing. I sent them an email asking if there was a mistake and inquiring as to the status of the replacement cover they promised but they have gone very quiet.

ONE FINAL UPDATE:After posting the above update I was contacted by the company and told I was sent the "sticker" by mistake. I did not have much faith and did not even bother to reply but a few days later a brand new cover showed up in my mail box. The difference is that this one already has the "sticker" installed. As I mentioned, their fix is to stick a small metallic sticker of their logo inside the cover in location that apparently blocks the magnetic field in such a way that it no longer shuts off when you fold the cover back on itself. I have to admit, it may not be the most elegant fix but it does work, and they did make it right in the end.

So, I am going to boost my rating of this cover back up to four stars. Just make certain that when you get one that it has the "Blurex" sticker on the inside.

[Add comment]