5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Klovers - Courtesy of CK2S Kwips & Kritiques, February 5, 2008
This review is from: Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, Book 1) (Mass Market Paperback)
Everything in her life changes the night Sara Keegan is attacked when leaving the shop she inherited from her aunt. Why would someone want her dead? Why would her attacker know her by name? More importantly, that wasn't really an honest-to-goodness dragon that saved her, was it? No, she must have been disoriented from the attack, because when she looked again, there was no dragon, only a very handsome, sexy man who might prove more dangerous than either the dragon or her attacker, judging by her body's response to him.

Quinn Tyrell is of the Pyr, the shape-shifting dragon warriors who protect the earth and it's treasures. Estranged from his kind, he has lived a life of solitude by choice. But prophecy and destiny have a way of stripping away a man's choices, until he is faced with his duty and the realization that there is no place on earth he would rather be. Such is the case for Quinn when he finds Sara and recognizes her as the woman he will share the Firestorm with - if he can keep her alive long enough...

When I first heard of Deborah Cooke's new release, I knew I had to have the book, even though I had never before read anything by this author. For one thing, the book stars some absolutely yummy dragon-shifters, and I do love my dragons - especially when they are shape-shifting hunks. Second, the plot itself captivated me, simply from reading the blurb for this book. Did I anticipate that I was heading for trouble? That I just might end up with a new author for my favorite authors list? That I might be left with the burning need to dig up this author's entire backlist after reading just one book? Yes, I suspected all of this might be true, and I was not wrong.

With Kiss of Fire, the first book in her new Dragonfire series, Ms. Cooke has won herself a new fan. This is the kind of book you pre-order, the kind you read the moment you get it home, the kind you take a vacation day on its release date in order to stay home and read cover to cover.

The author created some very real characters in this novel. I felt Quinn's pain as he struggled to overcome the pain and loneliness of past loss, his agony over betrayal and who to trust in order to protect his destined mate. But through it all, Quinn never lost sight of the higher purpose - safe-guarding the lovely Sara from all harm, and maybe, just maybe, convincing her to join him in the Firestorm. This man (dragon?) would do anything, sacrifice anything to this end.

Sara herself is just as noble as Quinn, much to his dismay. Although proud of his mate's honor, it is no less disconcerting to think of this frail human woman to whom his future is bound putting herself in danger. And though he recognizes her inner strength, every ounce of chivalry in him can't allow it. Of course, the headstrong Sara is resolved to do whatever it takes to help those who need it, and when the mysterious visions she has been suffering prove they are no hallucination, but the mystical Wyvern reaching out for Sara's help, she cannot deny it.

With a cast full of equally magnetic supporting characters, Deborah Cooke leaves readers full of anticipation for what will hopefully be a long and prolific series. I know that she has more than satisfied my craving for great paranormal romance with Kiss of Fire and I wait with bated breath for the next book in this magical series!

Series Order:
Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, Book 1)
Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire, Book 2)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2008 3:22:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2008 7:25:15 PM PST
Cin Dee says:
This is one of those fake reviewers that just love every book they ever read

Posted on Feb 9, 2008 5:36:27 PM PST
Abbie Perez says:
Nice review but reading the book was like eating a rice cake. Couldn't get too enthused about the empty and un-appetizing prose.

Posted on Feb 13, 2008 3:23:59 PM PST
Natalie S says:
Nice review Jennifer. I am so glad you enjoyed the book. I loved it too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2008 3:41:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2008 1:13:03 PM PST
luv2read says:
Well i haven't read anything from this author since the 90's. This is an alias for Claire Delacroix . I bought the book last week and will read it sometime this week.
Cannot wait for the sequel!

Posted on Apr 26, 2008 8:32:24 PM PDT
pammur says:
I just don't understand why this reviewer gives "Klovers" when the rating is stars. Is this to be cute?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 2:31:46 PM PDT
Pammur, I wrote that review for CK2S Kwips & Kritiques, a review house which uses 'Klovers' for their ratings rather than stars.

Because the review was written for them, I cite them in the subject line, using their rating system.

Many review houses have their own rating system, such as Klovers, Coffee Cups, etc. It is usually something that matches the theme of the review site.

Posted on Jul 4, 2008 10:45:11 PM PDT
K. Gilligan says:
Hello,

Unless you are edson.financial.group on ebay.com, I believe that that user has stolen your review for this book and posted it as their own. I'm a fellow Amazon.com reviewer and found one of my reviews word for word under that user's name. I've reported the matter to ebay but have gotten no response. A quick google check of some of the user's other reviews brought up the Amazon.com reviews- including yours. I just thought you would want to be aware of this issue. ALL of edson's reviews are stolen.

If you want to remove your review from edson.financial.group's reviews, you need to fill out and fax this VERO form: http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/NOCI1.pdf The number is at the top of the page. You should then get an email confirmation. After that you may get an email saying they can't find your review. You may have to confirm the link to your review on ebay, and on amazon.

At this time ONE person has succeeded in having her review removed from edson's reviews. I hope that number will go up! Spread the word!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 12:09:30 PM PDT
L. Jenkins says:
I don't think that is the case. I like almost every book that I read too. If I am not interested in the topic or the genre then I don't read the book ---there are too many books and genres out there that I do like to waste my time on one that I know I won't enjoy. Conversely, if the subject interests me then I generally DO enjoy the book. Most of the reviews that I post are positive, too. That's because I rarely finish one that bores me --- too many books too little time....Also, I don't want to waste my time writing a negative review. That just seems rather pointless.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 12:10:59 PM PDT
L. Jenkins says:
Thanks for the response. Makes perfect sense to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 5:53:05 PM PDT
Laurie-J, I am glad I'm not the only one! :-)

It is really easy for me to enjoy a book or movie. It takes a lot to make me hate it. Even those I don't love usually have good qualities that warrant a positive rating.

I do actually read and review some I am not quite as fond of, but I am lucky enough to have a pretty good feel for what kind of books I am most likely to enjoy and so for the most part my reviews get mostly 3-5 stars on books. I do occasionally have one that falls below there, but I don't think I've ever reviewed a book I thought deserved a 1 and the 2 stars are rare for me also.

It is usually more likely for me to rate other kinds of products below a 3, like that O.N.E. Acai berry drink or the operating system that lost data. Those warranted only one star from me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (53 customer reviews)

$7.99 $7.19
Reviewer

Jennifer A. Ray
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: TN, United States