5.0 out of 5 stars Speaks To Those Struggling, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived (Hardcover)
I am not a student of the Bible, or a person with a deep understanding of theology. I've never heard of this book until it was mentioned in a column in USA Today. Like millions of others, I'm a lapsed Catholic struggling with all of the questions that Rob Bell puts forth in the beginning of this book. While I search for answers that make sense, and look for a faith where I can belong and be strong, and not be lost and afraid, almost every page of this book spoke to me. I found it a compelling read, eye-opening and heart-opening. Yes, a little "over written" in the dramatic, one-sentence paragraph style. But it worked. When I finished this book, for the first time in decades, I wanted to pray. For the first time in years, I wanted to open a Bible and give it a chance. For the first time in a long time, I went to church because I felt there might be a good reason to go. So the debate can rage among the hard-cores, but I suspect this book can touch millions of hearts like it touched mine. For that reason, I will be recommending it to many friends who struggle with the same question.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 83 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2011 7:09:49 PM PDT
R. Smith says:
Thank you for putting it in perspective. We get so focused on ourselves, our arguments, being right and therefore they're wrong, and who gets to sit at the right hand, that we miss a wonderful encounter in a universal message that should humble us rather than puff us up. Blessings!

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 10:20:16 PM PDT
Green-man says:
Personally, I think out of many of the reviewers who posted a review of Rob Bell's book, you're the only one who truly has any room to speak. The issue Bell talks about in this book deals with theodicy--the justification for a good God in the face of evil. The matter of the destiny of those who reject God's salvation is, technically, a theodical question. And I've found that the only people who can truly speak on anything approaching any theodicy question are those who have experienced evil and recognized they've experienced it, because only they know how to speak to the pain of the experience as well as speak of the necessary theological reflection and consistency of the issue. I'm not saying the other reviewers don't have the right to an opinion, because they do. What I am saying is that they have been very thorough in their reflections on Bell's book without having taken the time to expound on the personal ramifications of the experience of a good God and evil in the world. They may have experienced great evil in their lives, and they likewise may have wrestled with the question of the eternal fate of those who fail to respond to God. But whether they have or not, they've demonstrated they're more interested in arguing over ideas at the expense of actual people. Ideas are important, but people are even more so (unless, of course, Jesus was wrong). I challenge them to be faithful to scripture AND care about people (but that remark is going to get me in some trouble, so I hope they go gently on me).

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 10:00:20 AM PDT
Valarie,

I appreciate your thoughts - takes me back to the days when I found writers like Frederick Buechner, Greg Boyd, Annie Dillard, Anne Lamott, Shusaku Endo and Phil Yancey - people who literally saved my faith when I was at a point very similar to yours. In the end, I may or may not agree with everything they say, but their willingness to ask the questions I was asking moved me deeply and allowed me to get past the points where I was stuck. Keep reading. There are answers to your questions, even if some might try to keep them from getting out.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 3:56:49 PM PDT
c says:
Valarie, I just wanted to say that I hope and pray that when you went to church you saw that there was good reason to be there. I thank the LORD for using this book to draw you to Himself. I pray that you will find the peace you seek in Jesus. I don't know about Mr. Bell's book, I logged on to look into ordering a copy after just hearing about it. I do know Jesus though, and I know that through Him, and only Him, will you find true peace and lasting joy. God bless you.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 9:46:42 PM PDT
Valarie,
Thanks for your review. I could write a book about why your review is helpful, but that really wouldn't be so helpful.
Thanks for thoughtfulness. Thanks for kindness. Thanks for just being honest.
Blessings to you.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 5:12:31 AM PDT
Thanks Valerie, reading what you wrote was why I think this book was written and if not, it's still pretty cool what you wrote.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 3:03:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 25, 2011 8:36:23 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 8:33:32 AM PDT
How could anyone argue with what this person said? It made him/her want to 'give God another shot.' My guess is that hundreds/thousands of others will do the same. For that reason, how could someone possibly hate on this book?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2011 3:52:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 26, 2011 3:55:27 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2011 3:54:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2011 3:56:00 PM PDT
Amen to Green-man! You preach it brother :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›