Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing But Still OK, January 8, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: My Fitness Coach 2: Exercise and Nutrition - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I was expecting so much more so I was definitely disappointed. It is not a disaster like Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009 but there are many better titles out there such as Wii Fit Plus, both EA Actives, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout and the original My Fitness Coach. I'll hang on to it and use it occasionally for variety.

I want to make it clear that the only similarities between the original MFC and MFC2 are the title and the general look of the case it comes in. Other than that, MFC2 is a completely different piece of software.

Negative points:
1. More flash than substance. The menus are pretty but slow to navigate.
2. You tell it your goals and fitness level. It picks your workouts. It doesn't tell you an approximate length. You can see the activities but they "flip" at you 2 at a time. Someone must have thought it was a cute way to show them but it is not very practical. There's no way to pause the display or change the pace.
3. There's no flow to the activities. You do an activity and then it rates your performance. Again, flash over substance, as it counts up to your rating rather than just displaying it. I entered myself as "fit" so that I would be challenged but the activities are not very challenging.
4. The rating seems to be mostly based upon your timing rather than the quality of your moves. It does measure effort. There is a timing bar that you are supposed to watch which is quite distracting. Instead you just try to follow the instructor. The measurements are weak. It measures Jogging and similar exercises by the remote in your right hand. You can sit on your couch and wave the remote up and down. For boxing moves you also just have the one remote but it claims to measure both hands. EA Active rates the full movement and gives leeway on the timing. That makes more sense to me.
5. There is a nutrition section and a lifestyle section. Are you really referencing the Wii for nutrition and lifestyle suggestions?? I doubt it. Use a PC or a book instead.
6. Instructions on EA Active and the original My Fitness Coach are better than the ones here. These are mostly just watching a video without any useful audio.
7. There's no way to customize your workouts other than changing your goals but there's no telling what you'll get.
8. There are 5 challenges. I did the Boxing challenge. It was more of a workout than the regular workouts but it is the same each time. It was a challenge to stay focused when it had me repeat the same 8 boxing moves for 48 reps.

Positive points:
1. It works. It picked up my movements.
2. It uses the balance board. I know that many of you care about that. I don't. The balance board is small and often restricts movement. For example, on a squat you would usually spread your legs apart but if you are doing them on a balance board you have to keep them mostly together.

Wouldn't it have been nice if they had just improved upon the original, maybe by having a pure step routine that could be done for 30 minutes?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2010 12:05:51 PM PST
Thanks for your thorough review...I bought this after being sold on the first version. I was originally going to order the first version but thought for sure this would address the flaws of the first,and then improve upon them. This is going back and I'm ordering the version with all the great reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2010 5:31:17 PM PST
R. Warren says:
Thanks for the comment. Amazon reviews are a terrific resource. I refer to them regularly so I try to do my part when I can. I probably would have waited for reviews on this game but my daughter pre-ordered it for me as a Christmas present. The original My Fitness Coach is like having an exercise DVD that changes every time you use it. Enjoy.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 6:21:15 PM PST
GiraffeMom says:
Like the other two comments to your post, I want to thank you for your thorough review. I will not be buying MFC 2 because of this. I hope you will forward your review to the makers of this video and maybe they will improve on MFC 1 instead. I love MFC 1. But I would like to see more workouts and maybe some that do a complete workout with the balance ball or the step.
Thanks again!

Posted on May 14, 2010 11:19:31 AM PDT
nymphet says:
When doing a squat spreading the legs or keeping them shoulder-width apart only has different effects of toning and strengthening on leg and glute muscles. I suggest you do both without thinking that it's a movement or position restriction.
If you can't squat legs closer, maybe youa renot as strong as you think in some areas of your legs. Yet another reason to give it a harder try.
This reply is not to criticise your review, but a suggestion from a cetified fitness instructor and also to remind everyone that certain movements are done in many different positions for range accessibility for different muscle groups.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›