Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful budget laptop. Great for students., July 2, 2014
This review is from: Asus X200MA 12-inch Touchscreen Laptop (1.86 GHz Celeron N2815 Processor, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
First of all, I bought this at a Windows Store, not Amazon. Amazon is currently cheaper. Also, I won't do pros and cons, as I really don't think that there are any real drawbacks to this laptop in most circumstances.
I bought this for studying and writing papers (and watching movies on Netflix when I finish my homework) at my college. Even though there are public computers, they are too slow and dirty to be used stress-free. Maybe I'm spoiled.
Anyway, this was a cheap little laptop, so I figured it wouldn't be such a let down when it breaks. I've had it for a month now, and it is a powerful lil bugger for the price. I can do all my document work with multiple browser tabs open, throw in a movie, and this laptop handles it all. I was expecting a lag filled experience, and I haven't had that yet. The weight and size are perfect for my situation as well. Rarely heats up, and is never too hot to handle.
The keyboard seemed tinny at first, but after getting used to it, I can't complain. It's not perfectly silent, but it isn't a locomotive.
The speakers are decent. Not great. But let's be real, you aren't going to get high end speakers in a low-end laptop.
I have only used the webcam once. Also not great, but it isn't detracting from the laptop.
Touchscreen is great. I have never had a touchscreen laptop, and I doubted I would ever use this touchscreen. Now, I can't imagine having a laptop without one. Some people might complain about the glossy screen. While it is annoying to not be able to use the laptop with strong light behind you, that's the trade-off you have with touchscreen. I love sitting outside with my laptop, but I would pick this touchscreen over a regular matte screen any day.
The only thing I wish was better is the trackpad. It isn't horrible, but I have trouble using two fingers to scroll down. I am not sure if it is the trackpad or if it is Windows 8. Obviously, Asus can't do anything about Windows 8. Definitely not a reason to avoid this laptop.
Battery life is pretty good. You may have to tweak the power settings to get your wifi adapter to stay working, but that is Windows 8, not Asus.
I like how they fit 3 USB ports, a card reader, a lock, an ethernet, hdmi, and vga port on such a small laptop. I like having USB ports on both sides, and they managed to do that. Awesome. I have this suspicion that the USB port on the left is 3.0, but I have no way to confirm that.
Overall, don't buy this for gaming or other resource-intensive activities. But for browsing the Internet, word processing, and streaming video, this is a great value laptop.

[Add comment]