5.0 out of 5 stars The New Gold Standard - 1/2 Marathon Proof, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Motorola S11-Flex HD Wireless Stereo Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black/White (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I took it for the team and bought these without waiting for reviews from others on Amazon.com. There were enough good reviews from tech sites that I bought them from BB the first day they were available.

Pros
- Very comfortable, ran a 1/2 marathon in them and had absolutely no discomfort. Far more comfortable than the Sennheiser PMX70 AND PMX80s that I usually run with.
- Behind the neck so they don't fall out of my ears like my Bose IE2s (once in a while) that I bought 30 days ago and whose wires are already showing.
- Wireless rocks
- Audio quality is great. I like them better than my Bose and Sennheiser. They get louder than Bose.
- Controls are easy to use. Volume Up/Down, On/Off/Equalizer, Pause/Play/Forward One Song/Back One Song - there may be more settings, but I didn't read the manual.
- Quick Charge - yes, it only takes 15 minutes to fully charge them
- Full Charge listening time - I've never pushed them beyond 3 hours, but they appear to last for 5+ hours. They tell you how much charge time you have left when you turn them on and they are consistent with 5+ hours
- They didn't break after 2 uses like the 2 sets of Logitech Backbeat 903 headphones I had (but returned)
- build quality - these things feel sturdy, very sturdy - time will tell
- They don't leak sound so people around you don't hear what you're listening to
- Good distance - I'd say you're ok out to 150ft. No problems on the same floor of a townhome. Have full connectivity with one floor of separation until I go to the opposite side of the townhome (from where laptop or phone are).
- Works great - superb with Samsung Nexus and Samsung laptop
- Fully controls Spotify so I expect it would work with iPhone since everyone makes sure they are compatible with iPhones first.
- Great volume, love it

Cons
- Phone calls are ok, definitely passable for carrying on a conversation. I've tested them on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which has its own issues in terms of call quality (and might be the cause of minor clarity problems I've had with these). Haven't checked them on my iphone yet, which has better call quality than my Nexus.

I've only had the headphones just shy of 2 weeks, but, at this point, these headphones rock - they are now the standard for wireless headphones and easily beat out the wired ($130 and below) headphones I own in terms of quality (sound and build).

Will update if anything changes to pay back for all the great reviewers who have helped me make purchases.
Thanks!

-- additional note
I primarily use these in the gym and I haven't had any problems with them either with free weights or on machines.
I'm seriously hoping they last!

******* Update 8/12/2013 ********
I have the infamous crack in the center of the headband. I have an additional crack where the left ear module connects to the head band. I've been fairly careful with them too. I've had the cracks for at least a month and used duct tape to reinforce both cracks. The headphones still work perfectly, but I have contacted Motorola for a return, which doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm hoping they fixed this problem as another review indicated. I won't know for sure until I get them and use them for several months though.
Will update w/any new information.
- one other con: when turning the headset on or off it plays a different musical tone. I usually have to guess if it is actually turning on or off since it doesn't always tell me battery life when I turn it on. A better option would for it to just say, "headset off" or "headset on."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 7:13:45 AM PST
Thanks for the in depth review. I've had about 5 sets of the Motorola S9's and 5 or 6 sets of the S10's - all have failed due to sweat. Most were replaced by Motorola if they were within the 1 year period which most were. I sweat a lot when running and working out at the gym. I am definitely going to get these.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:34:21 AM PST
Brandon L says:
I am having the exact same problem with Plantronics BackBeat 903+ Headset. They work great for a few days/weeks, but then various things stop working, due to sweating. Plantronic has been good about sending me free replacements, but I can't keep this up, and I am going to request a refund. If this Motorola set works, I won't feel so bad paying so much for them.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:55:38 AM PST
Dave Lee says:
Thanks for taking one for the team. I appreciate the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:54:01 PM PST
Super T says:
You're lucky your Backbeat headsets have lasted that long. My headsets didn't die from sweat. One died within an hour of being out of the box and that is just wearing them in the house! Since that was the second set that failed, I had to give up.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:54:10 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 27, 2012 4:57:26 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:41:58 PM PST
G. Caraway says:
hey i had the same sweat problem over and over again with my s9's and s10's. i go on runs and now they work when they want to. plan on buying the s11's. do you know if motorola guarantees them against sweat.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 2:41:37 PM PST
hey super t: thank you for the fine and in-depth review of the Motorola headphones. One question: I plan to use these with an iPod, but not all iPods are compatible, unless they have a Bluetooth adapter. What do you use to synch up with the headset? Thank you.

Craig

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:13:41 PM PST
Super T says:
I've used a laptop, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4 and 5 to synch with it. For music, I've used Spotify. The headphones control Spotify (pause, play, fast forward, rewind) nicely on all phones, but don't control Spotify on the laptop. On a laptop, you basically only have volume control. I haven't tried to see if it controls iTunes.

I will say that the headphones have held up nicely and I haven't used my used my Bose IE2 Audio Headphones (which I bought about 1-2 months before these) since I've had them. The Bose will still be useful for non-Bluetooth devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:20:40 PM PST
Super T says:
I don't know if they guarantee them against sweat, but they seem to be made really well, in some cases too well :) . By that I mean that the micro usb cover really sits tight and flush so that it is near invisible (it's black just like its surroundings). I wish they would have made the opening stand out a little, but that's really no biggie. I'm just happy that they work since I've had so many disappointments.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 11:11:33 PM PST
J. Boyce says:
What are you doing that is making the IE2's falling out of your ears, and has the wires fraying after a month? Those things are so solidly constructed I don't know if you're exaggerating, or really treating them rougher than is reasonable. Don't get me wrong ... I like your review of the Motorola S11's, but I have to call you out on the Bose IE2's. The custom silicon earpieces fit so well they're the ONLY headphones I've ever had that DON'T fall out. Maybe you're not putting them in right, because when those thing go in they stay. The only thing I hate about them ... the wire. For context as well ... My IE2 headphone have lasted for just over two years and I run with them for 50-60 miles a week ... every week. They're just now starting to fray at some of the wire joints, so I don't know what on earth you are doing. I've also recommended them to several friends who run as well and every single one of them has been amazed they finally found a pair of headphones that don't move around or fall out of their ears when running long distances. I'm still interested in these S11's because I'd really like to find a GOOD pair of bluetooth headphones I can wear when I run that don't suck or hurt my ears. Think I'll have to give them a try.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›