5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy replacement for my Flip, January 30, 2013
This review is from: Samsung HMX-W300RN Rugged Full HD 1080p Pocket Camcorder (Red) - Manufacturer Refurbished (Camera)
Samsung HMX-W300 Rugged Full HD 1080p Pocket Camcorder (orange and black)) - Manufacturer Refurbished
I just started using it today, but I now know enough to say a few words in its praise, the first being that it is going to enable me to forget my faithful Flip, which now has an honored place in pocket camcorder heaven. Here are some of the points that I think are worthwhile mentioning.

(1) Yes, it is compatible with Macs. I know because I'm using it with my iMac. It works the same as my Flip did in that it has a recessed plug which plugs into a USB port and charges the camcorder as well as downloads videos in the camcorder into your Mac.

(2) It has something that I believe to be rare in pocket camcorders: a PAUSE button. The absence of this feature was my biggest criticism of the Flip. To me, this is an essential feature.

(3) It has zoom (optical, I think). This is common today, but my Flip didn't have it.

(4) The Flip was as simple as you can get. Depending upon your preferences, this can be either good or bad. In any case, this camcorder is still very easy to operate, and you won't have to be going to its manual for help after you run through the various options/adjustments the first time.

(5) Here are some of the settings:
A. Video Resolution: 1080/30p, 720/30p (Don't ask me what "p" is)
B. White Balance: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy
C. Smart Filter: Normal, Vignetting, Fish-Eye
D. Back Light: Off or On
E. Face Detection: Off or On
F. Anti-Shake: Of or On
G. Settings: Storage Info, File No, Date/Time Set

This may not seem so simple, but I'll probably make a choice today and never bother changing the settings again. That's simple.

Oh, quality. I haven't made any audio recordings, but there does seem to be an obtrusive hum when sound is on. However, it can be turned off. As far as the picture is concerned, I was impressed. I also liked the width of the picture (sorry, I can't think of the proper optical term, but the picture is wide.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2013 9:58:18 AM PDT
Mermaid says:
Does this take pictures as well? If so, do you know what quality they are? We had the sony version of the flip - it was okay but hte picture quality was awful even for trying to catch those random things.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2013 1:58:52 PM PDT
Niku says:
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I had intended to reply right away but, well, you know how that goes sometimes. However, in my defense, I might add that I didn't want to reply until I had actually taken a picture. I knew, from reading the advertisements and the manual, that it could be done, but I hadn't actually done it. Well, today, I noticed something in my garden that I wanted to share with a friend. If I still had my Flip, the picture would already have been sent, but the Samsung is not quite so simple. I did make a video, but I don't know how to extract photos from the video, so Ill have to do it when I have more time to study the manual. I'm sure it's easy when you know how, but I don't. It's enough to make me think of buying a second-hand Flip. Flips might have been designed for me. They were either ON or OFF. If they were ON, you pushed a button and took a video. That's the kind of camcorder I need. Sure, if I used my Samsung camcorder all the time, I would know how to get the most out of all its features, but it might be six months, or a year between uses, time enough to forget, time enough to require digging into the manual. Well, I don't like having to look at the manual. I just want to be able to push a button, one button, and make a video. So, in answer to your question, yes, you can take a picture with the Samsung, but don't ask me how to do it. I know I'll figure it out someday, but not today.

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 5:40:34 PM PDT
I know your review is a few months old, but I had a question I hope you can help with. We just bought this to replace our Flip, which just crapped out on us, but when I tried to load the videos to our Mac, i just get an error message saying the videos cannot be loaded. Is there a setting I need to change or something? Because for us it's not as simple as plug in and upload like the Flip was. :(
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

Out of stock