Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb oil for health, July 16, 2011
This review is from: Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 Ounce (Pack of 2) (Grocery)
I've tried others, but Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is by far the tastiest and easiest to eat. I absolutely love it. I just eat it right out of the jar, several tablespoonfuls a day, for the health and weight loss benefits. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I've read through the reviews and just wanted to clarify some things with actual facts for those who are interested. Saturated fat, such as coconut oil, butter, lard, tallow, etc., is not only NOT harmful, but it is ESSENTIAL for good health and need not and should not be limited in quantity as the government suggests. It does NOT clog arteries--that is a lie that has been propagated for the last 60 years and thankfully there are finally practitioners with the courage and common sense to speak the truth. I am a dentist, intimately involved in nutrition, and I know what I'm talking about.

The majority of coconut oil is medium chain triglycerides which are broken down quickly by the liver for energy. It raises metabolic rate, thus promoting weight loss, and it does work. But you should know that butter is healthy, too, and has some important long chain fatty acids, and it, too, will promote weight loss. Heavy cream is essentially butter before it's been churned. So certainly eat coconut oil--it has myriad health benefits--but eat all your saturated fats, including plenty of fatty, red meat.

Coconut oil will not oxidize and go rancid. You can leave it on the counter probably for years. So don't worry about buying too much. And for the same reason, a dark jar is not necessary. Please know that liquid seed and nut oils, and even fish oil, will go rancid, because of the high unsaturated content. These oils oxidize quickly and form free radicals. They are a major contributing factor in virtually all the prevalent diseases and disorders from which people suffer.

And finally to those complaining of the plastic jar, most of us, especially those who use a lot of coconut oil, would just as soon accept the "horrifying" risks of plastic jars rather than paying a fortune for shipping glass jars. We don't all have extra bags of cash lying around.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2011 6:25:06 PM PDT
John B says:
WOW! Thank you for that comment!

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 11:24:59 AM PDT
Thank you so much for your remarks about fat, for years it has been my instinct that these fats are good. I am so glad there is research to back it up now, and brave people like you willing to tell the truth.

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 8:21:20 PM PDT
For about year now I changed my lifestyle to a high meat and vegetable diet which includes lots of animal fat, butter, and coconut oil. The only thing I'll say about the animal fat is try to eat animals that are 100% grass fed/pastured. The fat is higher in O3's.

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 8:48:45 AM PDT
Lisa Kearns says:
Thank you for a great review, and also for explaining that butter, lard, coconut oil, etc. are actually good for you. We've used real butter for years, and I use lard and coconut oil in cooking, with only good effects on our bodies. What I didn't know is that coconut oil won't go rancid - thank you for that information.

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 5:13:59 AM PST
Well said. Unless the plastic in question contains BPA there's a negligible risk, especially since you won't be cooking in it. I use this same oil and it's great, btw.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:20:47 PM PDT
Question please: I noticed you are a Dentist - do you have an opinion about oil pulling? I have not gotten around to borrowing that book from the library yet. Seems practical, but I wondered if you might share your thoughts. Thanks!! I use coconut oil for everything except motor oil in my car, so if I get another use of it, that would be even better. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 12:52:17 PM PDT
Sorry this comes so late. I never noticed that you could comment on reviews. I came back and found all these comments. I have no experience with oil pulling. I've seen youtube videos extolling its virtues, but have no idea whether it actually accomplishes anything. My instinct is that actually consuming coconut oil does the most good. My own experiments indicate that removing all starch and sugar from the diet (and not smoking) will improve oral health greatly. Eating raw meat instead of cooked will eliminate tartar. I know that sounds extreme, but for the longest time I couldn't figure out the tartar issue until I started feeding my cats raw meat.

Posted on May 4, 2013 12:48:55 PM PDT
Raed says:
Coconut oil WILL oxidize. The taste does change indicating chemical change. It may not be rancid but it does oxidize. I personally can not stand the taste of oxidized coconut. Eat it while it is fresh and delicious. It IS better for you that way. I know you state you are a dentist. I have a degree in chemistry and have worked in chemistry for the last 20+ years. Does chemistry trump teeth in this matter?

Posted on May 25, 2013 3:26:23 PM PDT
Has anyone had their LDL go up after eating this? My LDL went up from 96 to 121 after I starting eating 2 tbsp of Coconut Oil a day with my first meal (oatmeal). There's no way for me to pinpoint it was the oil, though. The blood tests were taken in a four month gap. However, both my HDL and Triglycerides improved. HDL went from 62 to 67, and my Triglycerides went from 72 to 56. Both of these are all time bests. I stopped taking it because of the sharp rise in LDL.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2013 7:53:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2013 7:54:14 PM PDT
Raed the Chemist, You are correct.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›