5.0 out of 5 stars Makes great simply great milk, simply!, January 19, 2009
This review is from: NEW Soymilk Maker - SoyQuick Premier Milk Maker 930P
Though I've made nut milks by hand for years, I've never had a soy milk maker before so I have no comparison with using other home milk makers. I have however been drinking commercial soy milk since before the major companies figured out the 180 degree process and got rid of the bitter flavor - so I know what soy milk tastes like when that's done wrong! Urk!

I can say for sure that the 930P does what it should - keeps the soy beans at 180 degrees F for the whole grinding and cooking process. It's easy to set up, a snap to clean (truly takes 2 minutes) and is totally simple to use. It makes soy, rice, nut and mungbean milks perfectly. The soy milk tastes clean and fresh - and like soy beans :D

So many people seem to get a soy milk maker and want the soy milk to taste like what you drink in the store. For that, you have to add what they add to commercial milk: sugar, salt, vanilla, calcium, vitamins A and D, carrageen/guar gum and various other possibilities. I like the straight soy milk, but my kids want something more familiar and I wanted soymilk that I could use as creamer in my tea, so I've been working with various recipes to get as close to their familiar Soy Dream as possible.

My closest attempt so far:
*1/2 cup soy beans, soaked over night and de-skinned (crush and rub the soybeans, the skins will collect in the water above the beans to remove)
*1/3 cup of millet (this does 2 things - gives that thicker creamier feel and a light sweet taste)

Put these in the Soy Quick and make milk according to the Soymilk setting. When done, strain through the strainer and then strain again through a permanent coffee filter (I really do recommend this second straining - the wire mesh included strainer is great, but anyone used to commercial soymilk expects absolutely no particulate. It's an extra 5 bucks and well worth it.). Now add:

*1/4 cup of brown sugar (we like brown, it may be way too strong for others though)
*1/2 tsp of salt
*1/2 tsp vanilla
*(calcium carbonate if you want it - provides calcium, but also gives that heavy creamy after-taste you are familiar with from commercial soy milk)

Stir and let cool. Refrigerate in an air-tight container.

I want to try barley malt as sweetener - I think it would give an even better flavor than brown sugar for the kids :)

I have also made mung bean milk (a nice addition to other milks at about a 1:3 ratio - it has good medicinal qualities), hazelnut milk and almond milk. They all turn out great! I particularly like hazelnut milk and think it makes great smoothies. I would love to try ice cream made from hazelnut milk!

A word to the wise - almond milk is probably the easiest transition for anyone who is used to commercial milks. You don't have to add much of anything to get it tasting like something familiar :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2009 11:21:57 AM PST
S. Wilson says:
I highly recommend trying the barley malt extract in your milk! It adds such an amazing flavor to the milk that I really can't explain! I think you children may really enjoy it too!

I also wanted to let you know that I really like your review and I am going to have to try your idea with Millet. Have you ever used Quinoa?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 5:15:51 PM PST
Thanks for the recipes and advice about transitioning from commercial soy!!

Posted on Feb 9, 2009 9:17:17 AM PST
S. Gockeler says:
Thanks so much for discussing how the milk from this (and any?) maker differs from the soymilk available at stores, as well as for the recipes. I am more confident that this will work for my family.

Posted on Mar 17, 2009 4:09:08 PM PDT
V. H Lok says:
How do you add calcium carbonate? Do you buy calcium pills and grind them up?

Posted on Mar 18, 2009 12:58:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2009 12:58:41 PM PDT
VP says:

Posted on Mar 29, 2009 5:02:09 PM PDT
VL says:
Thanks for the great info! I will also try barley malt for sweetener. I currently use brown rice syrup and .25 of a vanilla bean. The brown rice syrup thickens it a bit, guessing that adding cal-carb powder will even moreso.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2009 9:01:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2009 9:02:20 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2009 1:48:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2009 1:59:31 PM PDT
Eklektikos says:
Why are all of your posts so negative, insulting and ignorant (a euphemism for stupid)?

Goopy? Some definitions for goopy are:
1. Goopy - stupid, dopey, braindead. From polish word glupi (silent L) meaning stupid.
2. Goopy - a term used to describe a person. typically a person who is unattractive and mildly "magoo-looking."
3. Goopy - a description of something that is gooey and drippy.

Sound familiar? Look in the mirror, then and let us know if you are a BROAD.
Broad-1. Wide in extent from side to side. 2. Large in expanse; spacious. 3. Having a certain width from side to side. 4. Full; open. 5. Covering a wide scope. 6. LIBERAL? 7.Outspoken. 8. Vulgar; ribald. 9. Often Offensive Slang for a woman or girl.

Goopy doesn't sound CREAMY.
Creamy-1. containing cream. 2. resembling cream in consistency or taste; soft and smooth.

YES, men drink that "JUNK".

Why don't you try using your supposed inteligence and BROAD mind to write useful and helpful posts instead of the nasty insulting posts I have seen.

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 6:23:01 AM PST
Mere Mortal says:
Thanks so much for taking timeout to write the detailed review on the Soymilk maker; it was very helpful. Now that I have the soymilk maker (that came w/ a sample soybeans bag), I need to figure out the best place/way to order soybeans. Would you please share where & how/much you get your soybeans from? Online ordering seems costly considering shipping cost. Also, there doesn't seem to be any local retailers that sell Organic Non-GMO soybeans in the Durham, NC area.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2010 6:46:37 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 14, 2010 6:48:09 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (58 customer reviews)

Out of stock