5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing nutritional education, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease (Kindle Edition)
I had hit a wall in terms of eating right and dieting. Then my sister shared with me how much she was able to lower her LDL in her cholesterol by reducing her sugar intake. I started to Google articles on sugar and came across Dr Lustig's You Tube video. It was 90 minutes but it was, in a word, captivating. I was then fortunate to find out that he was coming out with a book at the end of December. I had it delivered to my Kindle while on a beach vacation during the Christmas/ New Year's holidays.
Well, as much as that does not sound like a good vacation book (I did read 2 other novels), it was fantastic on multiple levels. Dr Lustig has a gift because not only is he obviously educated in his field but he is articulate and extremely thorough.
Specifically, his book details how sugar is bad for you but he takes it to a level where you totally get it. He explains it from angles that you have never even realized existed...politically, economically, socially and of course, scientifically. And it is not just sugar. He gets into every corner of nutrition....fiber, insulin, leptin, stress, exercise. The book covers everything. It is obvious he put a tremendous amount of effort into this book. He also states very clearly that he has scientific back-up to all of his statements.
As I mentioned above, I was looking for a "new diet book" but this book is much more than that. Realizing what is going on in my body because I absolutely love and eat so many carbs was mind boggling. He teaches you all about food labels and let me tell you, it is an education. I am married over 25 years and my wife always does the food shopping. This book had such an effect on me, that I went food shopping by myself so that I could take the time and read the food labels. You cannot believe how much sugar is in your food. I am not even viewing my change in eating as a diet. This is about understanding what is going on with all of the garbage that we consume. For me, it is a change of life. The book just clicked with me.
If you want to live longer( in addition to many other benefits such as losing weight), read this book cover to cover. I also love the fact that he endorses the glass of red wine I am drinking right now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2013 6:16:39 AM PST
A. Young says:
Re: """" If you do alcohol, do just enough wine to get the resveratrol benefits and then lay off."""....Hunh. I think THAT much red wine would be even more than I'd drink. Per wikipedia, a LITER of red wine has from 0.5mg and 12mg of resveratrol. A typical supplement has from 250-500mg of resveratrol....in other words, you'd need to drink 20-PLUS liters wine/day to get 250mg, heh. That's a lotta wine!

Posted on May 27, 2014 2:25:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2014 2:26:32 PM PDT
Steven Mason says:
Love to Ride, I was thinking about reading this book until you said that Dr. Lustig "endorses" a glass or two of red wine daily. What sort of evidence does he offer for this endorsement?

I've got nothing against wine and alcohol; I enjoy both, though not daily. But I'm skeptical of endorsements for daily consumption. As far as I know, there haven't been any good studies that eliminate the confounding factors. Adding to the confusion and uncertainty, many red wines contain very little of the alleged beneficial chemicals, due to grape type and processing methods. Moreover, even if researchers manage to demonstrate a beneficial effect, it would have to be shown that this effect is unique to wine consumption before it should be conspicuously endorsed. In other words, I don't think wine deserves all the attention it's getting, except by fans who truly enjoy the taste. At this point, I think it's more appropriate to state that if one enjoys a glass of red wine at dinner, there's no harm, and if there's a benefit, so much the better. But of course, one could say the same thing about spinach.

This reminds me of a local business I know that makes cultured and fermented food products, such as sauerkrauts and kombucha. Customers are constantly asking them about the health benefits of these foods. They have a rather blunt response:

"Let's be clear, what we make here is food. If what you are interested in is getting as much Lactobacilli into your gut as possible, take a supplement. All too often the conversation around fermented products ends with probiotics."

Another reason I may not bother reading this book is because the main theme - drastically reducing sugar and processed foods - is nothing new. You say that it changed your life. Had you not heard any of this before now? If you've been doing research on "eating right and dieting," how could any of this be new to you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2014 3:27:44 PM PST
Gigi says:
whatever to nickpick this person's review. Don't drink it if you don't want to drink it. Why fight over it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2014 7:56:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2014 7:56:41 AM PST
"Why fight over it."

Gigi, I'm not sure about "fighting," but I'll give you one good reason there's so much discussion about it: There are hundreds of nutrition and diet books out there, written by "experts," some of them in line with government health agency and medical associations, some of them not. We are being told that a healthy diet is either low-fat high-carb or high-fat low-carb, and everything inbetween. We are told that vegetarian is best and meat-eating is unhealthy and immoral, and we are told that meat is good. We are told different things about exercise and alcohol. With the extremely wide range of "expert" advice being given to us, it's not really a matter of "nitpicking."

Gigi, if you think you have it all figured out, why are you even looking at this book? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2014 9:46:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2014 9:49:57 AM PST
Dave H says:
Thank you Gigi! I guess Steve Mason is the Amazon police. For now on, why don't you send your correspondence to Steve first, so he can use his considerable expertise to edit any inaccuracies. What a knob.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2014 10:08:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2014 10:16:41 AM PST
Steven Mason says:
"I guess Steve Mason is the Amazon police."

No Dave, I'm just a guy with an opinion, just like you. Except my opinions are mostly about the book and nutrition, not petty gossip and name-calling like yours.

Dave, if you want to act like a grownup man, feel free to talk with me about diet and nutrition, and feel free to put my "expertise" to the test. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2015 7:58:30 PM PST
It'd be an even better idea to just eat red grapes. Much healthier than wine, don't you think? :-) Wine reacts in the body exactly like processed sugar, is toxic to the liver, and too much can lead to breast cancer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2015 10:36:38 PM PST
Steven Mason says:
"It'd be an even better idea to just eat red grapes."

Sounds good to me.