5.0 out of 5 stars RICK “SHAQ” GOLDSTEIN SAYS: 2 ½ HOURS OF CD TRIBUTES TO GREGG ALLMAN… *PLUS*.. 2 ½ HOURS OF DVD TRIBUTE!, May 6, 2014
This review is from: All My Friends: Celebrating The Songs & Voice Of Gregg Allman [2 CD/DVD Combo] (Audio CD)
I can’t even control myself to get to the detail of how great this lifetime package for any true Allman Brothers fan is… without immediately telling you to buy it! Buy it for you… buy it and save a copy for a XMAS gift… or a fellow fans birthday you know is coming up. This total package is an absolute steal at the current price. The audio CD’s are about 2 ½ hours as is the beautifully shot DVD. (Yes… the DVD is the full copy of the 2 audio CD’s!)

As a longtime Allman Brothers fan… I’m sure like all of you… I have many… many… CD’s that have numerous songs that overlap… and are repeated on different CD’s. With other artists that may start becoming a problem.. but as we AB fans know… the old saying regarding our boys is.. “they never play the same song… the same way… twice!” And that’s a given… but even so… when you start listening… and hearing our old favorites… that we may have on two or three different CD’s… and it is performed by innumerable famous artists… from every walk of musical life… (along with Gregg on a few)… the following sensations will overpower you… on a few… I actually laughed out loud… because it was like getting a new gift on each song… due to one song being sung by a famous country singer with a real deep voice… the next classic being sung… by a famous singer with a high-pitched voice… every one done exquisitely. Some songs were done so beautifully… my eyes actually misted up.

It would be unfair to single out one performer as being better than another… mainly because… as each new song came up… it seemed better than the previous one… but I actually started listening to the CD from the last disc… and then jumped to the DVD and started from the beginning… and I’m telling you from my heart that… the song that I thought was the best… was just topped!

One performance that I must point out… because it really tore up my emotions… was the eloquent performance by Sam Moore doing “Please Call Home”… he came out… looking like a little “older- guy” (no offense… I’m a little “older-guy” myself)… he was hunched over a little… dressed in a very nice looking blue suit jacket… and then he started to sing… and in 15 seconds… I said to myself… man… the Lord blesses different people… in different ways! The Good Lord… sure blessed Mr. Moore with his voice! As the song went on… his voice got even stronger… his voice rose… and dripped with emotion… Sam unbuttoned his jacket… the musicians on the stage… along with the sellout crowd… were lifted with each word and note… Wow!

The musicians were fantastic with some tremendous solos… the camera work on the DVD was perfect… to tell you the truth… I was amazed at how much entertainment is provided in this package… at this price… this entertainment extravaganza… is an exception to the ever growing rule… that the consumer will feel like he overpaid for what he bought.

In closing… what a great tribute… to a Blues-Rock icon… sometimes these tributes are done with emotion… but done too late… after the star has passed on… but with Gregg Allman alive… present… and participating… this was done at the exact right time!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]