5.0 out of 5 stars GRFS - ROCKS - IF Updated, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier - Deluxe Edition [Download] (Software Download)
I love 'Ghost Recon - Future Soldier', one of the BEST FPS 'single player' games I have played in a long time. I have not tried the multi-player version, YET. I am an OLD gamer, been doing this for more than 20 years.

I have also played Ghost Recon Online (FREE btw) and it has been my favorite ONLINE FPS shooter for a couple of months now. Some say TPS, THIRD Person Shooter, but when aiming it is first person. Third person is nice, lets you see more while down behind cover.

Most of the complaints about 'Future Soldier' was when if first came out, but I do see some more recent reviewers still having problems!

QUESTION (for current owners): Once you installed this game, and then having it running for some time, "Does it Update AUTOMATICALLY?" If not go in and FORCE it to do ALL the updates?
-When you buy a hard copy of most games, and install them you can usually play the game without being online and/or without doing updates BUT IF you do THAT then you are NOT fixing the bugs. As far as I can tell I think this does do UPDATES AUTOMATICALLY?
-The other problems can be your hardware is not up to standard for these new games. One VERY COMMON problem is the video (GPU) card drivers. Some times newer drivers make some games WORSE. Also, not that I work, for Nivdia but I gave up on Radeon (AMD) cards years ago.

My grandson just went out and bought one of the fastest AMDs out today, don't remember the model number, but it cost OVER $400. He had it working with the drivers from install disc but NOT so great. So he updated the drivers to the latest version and it QUIT running games all together (COD, BF3, etc.)! He spent a week TRYING to make it work, gave up, sent it back and bought an Nvidia 680 that WORKS flawlessly.

When it was 'ATI' Radeon they produced BAD drivers then, and since 'AMD' bought them out I THINK they must have the SAME software/driver programmers! As is often the case of HARDWARE manufactures try to save and CUT-CORNERS on the software. However, the BEST graphics card in the world is a useless, $2. piece of JUNK, if it does not work properly.

AGAIN - Graphic Cards (GPUs) and the drivers for them are the 'NUMBER ONE' problem with all games. I use an older card, an Nvidia GTS 450 with 1GB memory, and every time I have tried using a new or different driver for it something has not worked correctly! So I go back to same old driver, a year and a half old, and EVERYTHING WORKS fine. However, my OLD Nivida 450 works just fine, runs EVERYTHING, maybe not in ULTRA or HIGH-END modes but still everything looks GREAT (like 'Medal of Honor - Warfighter' awesome graphics).

NOTE: Six (half) of all the twelve BAD reviews were all in the first two weeks, and ten of the twelve were all in the first two months.
ONLY FOUR reviews in the last two months and all of them are 4 or 5 Stars!!

Like so many other game companies Ubisoft apparently went to market TOO SOON. But so has EA/Origin and Activision/Steam! There is SOMETHING about a game going out to the public, the company only has MAYBE a few hundred different computer setups testing the software but when it goes to the public it is THOUSANDS!!!

I bought my version of 'Future Soldier' online through Amazon.com, and downloaded it through Amazon. I have downloaded quite a few games through Amazon (6 or 8?) and have never had any real problems. Not with the original downloads anyway.

With this game 'Future Soldier' I was FRUSTRATED for a little while! After downloading it I tried running it BUT every time I would try to run the game I would have to do an UPDATE, not once but like 8 to 10 times!

AFTER each and EVERY update, then it would AGAIN say something like, "New Update Needed" - "Do you want to install it, Yes/No". You click on YES and then it would download the update but NOT install it! THEN I would have to TELL it to go ahead and INSTALL the update! This went on like 8-10 times (had to STAY and monitor the WHOLE process. It should have downloaded and installed "ALL" of the NECESSARY updates AFTER I clicked on "YES" the FIRST time! "Update - YES" (end of story, right - NO)

BUT there is no guarantee that the same thing would NOT happen with a boxed version! Right?.

PLUS I only paid $26 for the Deluxe Version, when the hard copy was going for $49.95, I saved $24.00. As I already mentioned don't forget 'Ghost Recon - Online' ( its FREE) and also a great game.

P.S. I could not run the game at all trying to run the 'LAUNCHER.exe' file but had to run the actual program itself "Future Soldier.exe" and then it would try to run but required I do the backups. After all of the backups were completed it has run FLAWLESSLY.

MORE on 'Future Soldier' GAME-PLAY: Single player is LONG, 12 missions that can last an hour or more each, depending on if your are just rushing through the game or if you are also trying to complete some of the "Mission Challenges". There are usually 3-5 challenges in each mission, which unlocks new items, new weapons, etc. Some challenges only show up on the highest level of 'Elite'.

Working as a four-man squad is awesome. I am a retired police officer but never made the SWAT Team because I was NOT politically correct enough, but I studied it a great deal, and have seen documentaries and read books about SWAT, Special Forces, Navy Seals, etc. They ALWAYS work in four man teams, which is exactly what you do in 'Future Soldier'. You come on to a scene and you can tell your three team mates to take out the other three targets, and you take out the forth target - "On MY GO command", so that you kill all four enemies simultaneously. You can actually go through almost every mission without EVER setting off the ALARM. Setting off an alarm will bring many more bad guys to kill you OR cause you to fail the mission where they REQUIRE you set off NO ALARMS. Even if it is OK to set off an alarm with LOTS of bad guys you will probably DIE ANY WAY, at first that is!

Its ALL about TEAM-WORK and strategy. So if you are a Run-and-Gun(er) you might NOT like 'Future Soldier' but I have seen many FIRST TIME reviewers of other games come away with a changed mind, YOU might too.

One thing, being a retired police, and hunter for many years, and an avid gun enthusiast I really like about this game it the selection of weapons available, AND the ability to TAKE them APART and customize the weapons. I have worked on and built many guns and this feature is VERY realistic. They call it 'Gunsmith'. Some of the weapons are based on the AR-15 and the AK-47 and AK-74! You can actually get an idea of how they come apart, and how they can be modified. I don't know the exact number of guns available, maybe 100 (will update this number later) but you can change the: optics, stock, magazines, type of ammo, barrel length, gas-piston (rate of fire), paint (camo, etc.), trigger type, side accessories (night vision, etc.), etc. So that you have literally thousands of different combinations! If you read any books about Special Forces most if not all carry CUSTOM weapons that fit their PERSONAL use, especially "Tier One" types, Seal Team Six, etc. It had to be a gun-nut - computer geek/programer to come up with this one.

Some of the Mission REQUIREMENTS, in some missions, were so hard I had to find a game "Walk-Throughs" to complete it because I kept DYING! So it may be difficult for those that like everything SIMPLE. Personally, it was MY CUP OF TEA.

Many reviewers are lambasting Ubisoft because of some of the BAD games, and problems with NEW games. I have not found ANY games CoD, BF2/3 without some problems when they first come out. ME, being an OLD GAMER, I wait for 3-6 months until the bugs are worked out AND the price comes down. I REFUSE TO PAY $60 for ANY GAME.

I think in SOME ways Ubisoft is doing a great job in producing GOOD games, where they seem to be failing the most is in the administration and customer service areas! But that is true for many other game companies as well. They produce a game, take it to market too soon, SELL A LOT of them, and then give minimum service after the release!!! They all have SOME service available but NOT enough for the need and demand out there today!

As for the 'DOWNLOAD Version' IF whoever is administering the the download versions did it correctly, they should INCLUDE most of the recent updates. This game came out in June of 2012, and based on the names of the updates (-----001, -----002, -----003, -----004, etc.) I would guess that I downloaded the 'ORIGINAL' release so that I had to download EVERY UPDATE since June!

Right now I have played through all three levels 'Recruit', 'Veteran' and 'Elite' (JUST finished Elite) and got some 30 plus, maybe 40 hours of Single Player game time, and still have not been able to complete ALL of the CHALLENGES! Some seem almost impossible. The last mission of the game (the twelfth) was HARD even at the "Recruit' level.

SO do yourself a favor and TRY IT. For $5 you can try mine. LOL, just joking, find someone who has a WORKING version IF you don't want to spend the money. However, right now you can get for $30 or less?

MAYBE TOO MUCH for many to read, SORRY but tried to review the game, as well as answer some Q's about reviewer problems.

SEE you on the Battlefield............

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]