4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Manual for How to Excel in Life, June 6, 2012
This review is from: Turning Pro (Kindle Edition)
Let me offer an executive summary of "Turning Pro," before I give my detailed response. I consider "Turning Pro" to be a simple to read yet powerful self-help book. It contains a lot of practical wisdom that applies to almost every area of life. In particular, "Turning Pro" diagnoses the problem many of us have of being an amateur who settles for the lower things in life, out of fear and distraction. Pressfield then provides a remedy by defining what it means to Turn Pro and get serious about life and offers some wisdom on how to Turn Pro.

What made "Turning Pro" most useful for me was that it provided the motivation for an extended self-examination. When you understand what Pressfield means by "Turning Pro" you'll be compelled to examine the beliefs, attitudes, and habits of your life to see if they're leading you where you want to go and be.

Pressfield presents his wisdom in easy to read, small chunks. He whets your appetite for becoming a pro and clearly diagnoses the problem. However, even though the final section deals with how to become a pro, I left the book feeling as if there must be more. Maybe I'll need to go back and study the many brief points Pressfield makes: it may be all there, but somehow I felt like something is missing, so I'm giving the book 4 stars. Also, I feel like Pressfield beats a dead horse some times and begins repeating himself.

The book needs a Table of Contents, especially since there are so many small sections. It didn't work on my Kindle version of the book.

Now for the longer review.

For a few years now, I've profited from the works of Stephen Pressfield (as well as Seth Godin, with whom he has now partnered). But this book has a particular appeal to me. Ever since I've been in 2nd grade, I wanted to be a writer. For years, starting high school, I wrote poetry and novels, but never had success in getting my works published. I'm sure, after reading this book that one of the reasons I didn't find "success" as a writer was because I wasn't sufficiently professional in my approach but instead always remained an amateur.

Right off the bat, I appreciated the wisdom of "Turning Pro" because of what Pressfield presented as 3 Models of Transformation. His points that the therapeutic model of our problems (we're sick) and the moralistic model (we've sinned) are very similar to those made by Kent Dunnington in his excellent book "Virtue and Addiction" Dunnington's view is that the key to understanding addictions lies in the concept of habit: I highly recommend "Addiction and Virtue"!

Pressfield even devotes some time later to the ideas of both addiction and habits. In other words, there's a synergy of ideas that's taking place in our culture that's related to the idea of addiction and habits. At its heart, that's what "Turning Pro" is really about. Pressfield believes that the real problem is that we remain amateurs and never become professionals.

Becoming a pro, basically, is about growing up. It's about becoming a man or woman in a world filled with adult children. One of the most important quotes from the book is this: "The difference between an amateur and a professional is their habits." Re-read and memorize this quote, and put Pressfield's wisdom into effect, and you'll see a changed life. Throughout much of my life, I haven't appreciated the power of habits as much as I should have. This is true for me as a Christian, father, and teacher. But the older I get, the more I realize how much of our lives are shaped by our habits.

To be an amateur is to walk or run away from your true calling. This is the life of the addict or amateur: a life being distracted from your true calling. Once again, the application to my life, not just as a writer but also as father, teacher, and priest, is astounding! How much of the good life is about not being distracted from what's really important.

Here is a second powerful quote from the book which I recommend reading and re-reading: "The amateur is an egotist. He takes the material of his personal pain and uses it to draw attention to himself. He creates a "life," a "character," a "personality." The artist and the professional, on the other hand, have turned a corner in their minds. They have succeeded in stepping back from themselves." This sounds a lot like Christian love, but regardless of your religious or philosophical stance, it's true.

Why do we choose distraction and addiction? Because it's easier in the short-term, and so much of what's wrong with our culture today is explained by what I call the bad trade of "short term gain for long term pain." Addicts and amateurs know that they're called to something great, but then they back away from the hard work and pain necessary to fulfill their calling. (Once again, spiritual analogies to this idea abound.) Addictions are the shadow form of our true calling and a metaphor for our best selves.

Pressfield catalogues our addictions and discusses: addictions to failure, sex, distraction (the cures for this are concentration and depth), money, and trouble (the payoff for prison is incapacity and safety). He philosophizes more on the meaning of addiction, saying that "The addict seeks to escape the pain of being human in one of two ways--by transcending it or by anesthetizing it." I believe there's truth in this but also that Pressfield could go deeper on many such points.

By the end of Book Two, I got the feeling that Pressfield was more or less repeating himself.

In Book Two, Pressfield states that "Fear is the primary color of the amateur's interior world. Fear of failure, fear of success, fear of looking foolish, fear of under-achieving and fear of over-achieving." The professional is also fearful, but the difference between the two is how they handle this fear, something the book deals with in Book Three.

There are parts of the book throughout where Pressfield belabors his point, but here's another useful observation he's made: "The amateur allows his worth and identity to be defined by others. The amateur craves third-party validation. The amateur is tyrannized by his imagined conception of what is expected of him. He is imprisoned by what he believes he ought to think, how he ought to look, what he ought to do, and who he ought to be."

He also says that the Pro "takes himself and the consequences of his actions so seriously that he paralyzes himself. The amateur fears, above all else, becoming (and being seen and judged as) himself." I went through a long period of being an "amateur," especially as a writer and teacher. But it wasn't because I was afraid of becoming myself: I just wasn't dedicated enough and didn't have enough good mentors.

I would agree, however, with his comment that "the amateur seeks instant gratification. In fact, I think this is one of the keys to understanding the amateur. Along with seeking instant gratification, the amateur and the addict "focus exclusively on the product and the payoff. Their concern is what's in it for them, and how soon and how cheaply they can get it." I see some of this in myself, and so in many ways "Turning Pro" has helped me conduct a useful self-examination.

The next important quote sent chills down my spine because I know it's true for me: "Because the amateur owns nothing of spirit in the present, she either looks forward to a hopeful future or backward to an idyllic past." I have a tendency to keep looking to the future, and I'm quite nostalgic for the times in my life when things looked so much better.

Another part I don't agree with is the idea that the Tribe doesn't care and that it's all up to us. One of the problems with a lot of us today is that we're too individualistic and don't realize our need for true community. In fact: I think a lot of postmodernism is being homeless and with no true community.

How does Turning Pro change your life? You face your fears, your activities, and your habits. You structure your days to achieve an aim. And it changes how you spend our time and with whom you spend it.

Pressfield closes Book Two by saying that Turning Pro involves a painful epiphany.

In Book Three, Pressfield finally gets to the payoff: how to Turn Pro. He lists 20 characteristics of a pro:
1. The professional shows up every day
17. The professional endures adversity
18. The professional self-validates
19. The professional reinvents herself
20. The professional is recognized by other professionals

Here are a few bonus characteristics:
A pro is courageous; a pro doesn't get distracted; the pro is ruthless and yet compassionate with himself; lives in the present; delays instant gratification; does not wait for inspiration; and helps others.

Listen to this next part carefully: it's one of the secrets of life. "The physical leads to the spiritual. The humble produces the sublime. It seems counterintuitive, but it's true: in order to achieve "flow," magic, "the zone," we start by being common and ordinary and workmanlike." I've found this to be true in life, over and over again.

Finally, Pressfield gets to some of the "how to" that I was waiting for. The professional mindset is a practice. To "have a practice" in yoga, say, or tai chi, or calligraphy, is to follow a rigorous, prescribed regimen with the intention. This section reminds me of another favorite book of mine: "Talent is Overrated." Our habits, our practices, are what will make us pros.

What follows is a mixed bag of attitudes the Pro needs to have. Some were more useful than others. Out of all of these, the most useful was this: "I have a code of professionalism. I have virtues that I seek to strengthen and vices that I labor to eradicate."

Pressfield concludes by appealing to the Kabbalah, Platonic philosophy, and the worldview of the Masai to suggest that in life there is an upper and lower realm (guess which we're supposed to inhabit.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 26, 2012 7:10:27 PM PDT
Fr. Erlandson,
I loved your review of this book, in fact your review convinced me to buy the book, thank you for writing this out as you did. Your last comment was what struck me though. "By the end of the book I was very clear on what Pressfield was saying about Turning Pro. But I was left wanting more practical insight into how to do it."

The reason that it struck me was that answer was already stated by you earlier in your summary, a professional has the "painful epiphany" in that it requires them to accept that they have been an amateur or an addict, and then the next question is really begged to make the conscious jump to actually becoming a professional without reservation. It is a genuine internal admittance, and a reconciliation of the past, and what one is going to do about it moving forward.

At the end of the day, as I see it, we are all responsible and accountable for our results, actions and learning. If we do not then it is our integrity to our true selves that pays the price. For that all I have to do is ask the guy in the mirror did I make the professional move today or yesterday, and if I did not, why did I not make that move. If I don't like the answer, tough, I am responsible for the outcomes that I get, because they are what they are. Why this all works for me at least is, that I want to like that guy in the mirror, even if others don't, and still continue on and be able to say to myself that I do stand for something that does matter in this world of child-like adults, that for me is enough because the alternative is mediocrity and depression. ("Yes glory is fleeting - but mediocrity is forever" - Napoleon)

Living up to our own true potential is exactly the point of what a professional is as well - I don't see them as contradictory to one another either. And well we all make our choices and decisions in this life, for better or worse, but I do think it is better that those decisions be our decisions rather than someone else's. For whatever that is worth.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 6:01:58 PM PDT
Gabrielle says:
You did such a fantastic job of reviewing this book that I actually felt myself getting inspired just by reading your main synopsis. It's so thoughtful of you to have done such a detailed review and I greatly appreciate it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 6:19:31 PM PDT
Thank you for such a thoughtful response! I enjoy writing reviews about important books and try to make them informative and intelligent.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:07:27 PM PST
Jolene Baney says:
Thank you for writing such a thoughtful review. Since my company name is PRO (Premier Recovery Options), and I deal primarily with families who are struggling with addiction recovery, this has my name "literally" written all over it! I'm ordering the book now!

Jolene Baney

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:16:38 PM PST
I'm so glad the review was helpful: I hope the book is profitable for you.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 9:15:35 AM PST
Kamal says:
One of the most helpful reviews I've read on Amazon. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 4:21:43 PM PST
Thanks for your feedback, Kamal!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:11:31 PM PST
Wow...I'm in awe. What a great review, a selfless endeavor indeed, that you would put so much time into it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:15:40 PM PST
Thanks, Melzetta: I love writing, including reviews, and my hope is to help others and force me to understand things better myself.

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 12:47:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2013 12:48:02 PM PDT
M. Gavin says:
What an amazing review you have written here. Incredibly insightful, well written, and I was truly touched by the way you shared yourself here. So much of what you wrote, shared about yourself, spoke to me. Thank you and much success to you!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›