3.0 out of 5 stars No Safety, May 3, 2000
This review is from: The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy: Over 600 Natural, Non-Toxic and Fragrant Recipes to Create Health — Beauty — a Safe Home Environment (Paperback)
The book is filled with some good information. However, There is no safety data for the oils presented. Some oils are not safe to use during pregnancy, estrogen dependent cancer, or may cause skin irritation or phototoxicity (sunburn). Use caution when trying the recipies in this book or research the oils further.
A disturbing section was the one on pets. I would definately do more research before putting anything on a cat. Cats lick their fur and not all oils can be ingested. Eucalyptus is toxic if taken internally. There have been reports of Tea Tree nearly killing cats. In addition, they recommended adding tansy to a horse's feed to treat worms. Tansy is very toxic to horses and cows. People usually try to remove the plant from their pastures.
Last word. Do your research and don't just use one book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2009 10:47:49 AM PST
Madam Adam says:
Very helpful review. Thank you!

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 10:02:27 PM PST
Vinca says:
Not to nitpick, but I suspect the Tansy mentioned in the book is Common Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) which is native to Europe and has culinary uses, and not Tansy Ragwort (Jacobaea vulgaris), which is the one that's toxic to horses and cows. Though it's still a good distinction to point out, as confusing the two can be very dangerous.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 8:05:00 PM PST
M. Kolhoff says:
can you suggest a better book? frankly I'm impressed that 93 (!) of the reviews are positive out of 130 reviews! but, I agree and the safety issue IS important and that is why I'm asking for further suggestions. please help! :)

Posted on Feb 19, 2011 7:44:05 AM PST
H. Godshall says:
There actually are sections on safety. In the pregnancy section, she talks about which oils are safe to use, and also mentions how certain oils are toxic to some animals. I have been completely satisfied with this book.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 4:41:33 AM PDT
Cameltribe says:
The Fragrant Pharmacy is similar in that respect, about not enough safety data.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 11:00:31 PM PDT
K. Kiesel says:
I have found a lot of safety information in the Reference Guide for Essential Oils by Connie and Alan Higley. The book is coordinated to the line of oils sold by Young Living, but the same single oils are sold by many other companies (the blends will be different, naturally). I think the amount of information in the guide is phenomenal! I have appreciated many of the suggestions and often observed safety information regarding pregnancy, babies, animals, and those with sensitive skin. Highly informative! I bought the pocket version of the guide on eBay and found it so engrossing I spent three hours reading through it when I had no intention of doing so! The pocket one (called Quick Reference Guide to Using Essential Oils - same authors as above) was all I needed to start with. I graduated to the bigger version, but I really would recommend the smaller one for beginners or people who want something portable and non-intimidating. Both sizes are spiral-bound, which makes using them much easier. I highly recommend them!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 9:20:21 AM PDT
The best book for oil usage that I teach from and use in practice is Essential Oils Desk Reference. Been referring to it for 10 years and it has never let me down!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 12:32:01 PM PDT
M. Kolhoff says:
can you please narrow down that title more for me, so I can search the title out here on amazon? thanks so much for your input by the way!

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 10:36:55 AM PDT
Anonymous says:
I am so grateful for your comment. Although I am a fan of Valerie Worwood's books, as a breast cancer (estrogen dependent) survivor I was not aware that there are certain oils I should not use. I just searched online and the list of essential oils to avoid includes Aniseed, basil, birch, cedarwood, chamomile Roman, citronella, clary sage, cypress, eucalyptus, fennel, hyssop, jasmine, juniperberry, lemongrass, pine (prostate cancer), peppermint, rosemary, sage, star anise, thyme, verbena, and wintergreen. Thank you for this information! I think a lot of this information has come out since the book was written. You are right, read more than one source.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 3:31:30 AM PST
D. C. Blake says:
Thank you for your comments on the lack of safety in this book. I am dumbfounded that the book, which is after all called the 'Complete' Book of Essentials Oils misses out safety issues and seems to suggest how to kill a cat; also commented on by another reader. Will give this read a miss.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›