5.0 out of 5 stars Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny..., September 24, 2011
This review is from: Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nile Rodgers.

Along with the late Bernard Edwards, the architect of the "Chic Sound" that dominated the late seventies.

A biography.

A movement.

A time where Nile (and Bernard) took us musically where we'd never been before.

Nile, with great clarity, gives us the details in which he came into this world, and how, ulitmately, music came into his world - and for people like me, being ever-the-more grateful for it!

As in many biographies, there are the high points and low points, the successes and failures - which is to be expected. Nile shows that, as in life, "the show goes on - get on with it!"

I will not provide any spoilers on this review. I'll leave that to the others. I feel privileged that, as a member of Amazon Vine, that I got a first peek at Mr. Rodger's story. A true, American rags-to-riches story that which I hope that others can learn.

The writing style worked, it's as if Nile was sitting in the room with you, having a casual conversation! Good job! I read this in 2.5 days (I DO have to work!)

Overall a great story - thanks, Mr. Rodgers!

I rate "Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny" five stars!

Personal Note:

Understand. If it sounds like I'm biased, it's true. I am a "Chic Freak." I can recall exactly where I was when I heard Chic's "Le Freak" for the first time. It as a Friday evening (6:45pm). I was coming home from work and was on the downhill portion of La Cienega Blvd., passing what would eventually be called "Kenneth Hahn" Park (named after the multi-term Los Angeles County Supervisor). I heard the "awwwwwwwwwwwww Freak out!" coupled with Nile Rodgers guitar licks and was HOOKED before the main body of the song began.

I LOST MY MIND!

I was determined, then and there, to get a copy. Normally, as I was working full time and attending school full time, I slept-in on Saturdays. NOT THIS TIME. It was now my mission in life to get my copy. I was up first thing and had to wait for the local record store (Big Ben's Records and Tapes) to open and get mine! I brought it home and wore the wax out! Stylish, appealing, R&B Dance music. It had nothing to do with the "Disco" moniker that was hung on it. One of the most significant albums ever set to wax. Music of my life! Even better, it was just the beginning...

Stay strong, Mr. Rodgers (and hang in there!!)

End Personal Note.