5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful box set..and the first movie..FINALLY proper aspect ratio!, February 22, 2009
This review is from: Austin Powers Collection (International Man of Mystery / The Spy Who Shagged Me / Goldmember) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I enjoyed this series of films very much. The "Goldmember" film a bit less but overall a very creative and funny pop culture feast! One of the big bonus's for me anyway is to finally have the original Austin Powers movie in the proper 2:4 aspect ratio after years of having to watch it on 1:85 on normal DVD. This may not mean much to some viewers but to those interested in seeing what they did at the theater it does. The other two films came out in proper 2:4 aspect ratio on DVD previously so why the original was formatted a bit off was always a mystery to me. The films look great on Blu-ray ...and while they don't have any NEW bonus features to my notice..at least they did import all the old ones and music videos (some blu-rays are coming out WITHOUT the previous bonus features).
I picked the set up for a price that came to about $15 per film so I think its a very good value.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2012 1:00:30 PM PST
kakofonous says:

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:49:36 PM PST
P. Bacon says:
Should I get the triple-feature 2012 set or the 2008 set? And why does the 2008 set say full-screen? Aren't they both in the correct aspect ratio?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:17:46 PM PST
Shawn says:
This is a great example of how the Amazon "Customer Review" system is broken. We as consumers, are trying to rate and review the product we have purchased or were given. And for some silly reason, Amazon considers these product reviews for video content to be "movie reviews". And they are not. I think this review by Richardson "Clarence" is a good product review and what the reviews should be like. But sadly Amazon has attached this same review to both the 2012 released Triple Feature AND the 2008 released, Box (slim case) Collection.

Luckily, since I am smart enough to look at dates. I can see his review is from 2009, so he can't be talking about the 2012 "Triple Feature". But there are people that will not look at this review date, and will have read it on the Triple Feature product page and buy that since it's cheaper.

So is the 2012 set really in 1.77:1 ratio for all 3 films?

I prefer buying films in their original Theatrical aspect ratio. So it looks like I want this 2008 released set.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 3:33:15 AM PDT
Shawn, according to Amazon's product details, the 2012 triple play set is in 2.40:1 aspect ratio. Other than price and packaging, I'm not sure what the differences are between the 2012 and 2008 sets. Perhaps nothing?

I agree with you, though, about Amazon's practice of combining reviews for various products on the same page. It can be very confusing and misleading.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 12:12:29 PM PDT
Shawn says:
I ended up buying the 2008 version because I wanted to make sure I had all 3 films in the original un-cropped formats. And I wanted the 3 slim cases with each movie on it's own disc. Which means even if there were more bonus features on the 2012 set, I would not choose it if does not have the un-cropped formats.

Certainly would help all sections of Amazon if reviews were only linked to the exact single product sold. It would also help if people didn't give movie reviews and would stick to reviewing the product. There are plenty of sites for movie reviews. And often I am buying a movie because I have already watched it and know I want to own it. Or it's part of a series and I am going to own it no matter what. So movie reviews just clutter the few product reviews out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 12:56:12 PM PDT
Logically, it makes sense that the 2012 set has the same aspect ratio as the 2008 set. Usually, a repackaging like this is a money-saving effort by the studios by reducing the physical packaging of an earlier set. It wouldn't make sense for them to re-scan and/or remaster the films for a bargain set, and it doubly wouldn't make sense for them to do so if it meant the remastering resulted in an inferior product, as would be the case with a non-original aspect ratio. Typically, remastering/scanning is done to make a film look better, not the other way around. Combine that with the product info that says the 2012 set has a 2.40:1 aspect ratio, and I think we have our answer. The question for prospective buyers is, do you want to pay more for (subjectively) better packaging, or save a bit of money?

I agree with you entirely about the distinction between movie and product reviews. I have next to no use for user movie reviews on Amazon. Reviews of the actual product, on the other hand, are very helpful. I've got the Austin Powers set on DVD. I've been debating for a while whether I should upgrade to Blu-ray. Did you already have the set on DVD? If so, do you think it was worth the upgrade?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 1:13:00 PM PDT
Shawn says:
I did have all 3 films on DVD and I can see a huge visual difference between the DVDs and this 2008 Blu-Ray version on my 125" 1080p projector.

I did a search and found that the 2012 triple feature set is in the same format. Which makes me still happy to go with the 2008 set as I also really like having the 3 slim cases with the standard side opening in the box for them to show on my self.

Seeing the Discs themselves in several reviews and the ones in my hands, they look the same. So it's very likely, as you said, that the Discs have simply been repackaged. Whether they saved any money doing so is debatable and unprovable.

But yes, for me, the picture quality and resolution jump to the Blu-Ray was worth the upgrade for me at $5 per film.

Given that the 3 Discs are likely the exact same for both the 2008 and 2012 packaging, I guess it comes down to price and case preference. Though if Amazon would separate product reviews, it would be easier to figure that out.

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 6:35:15 PM PST
M. Johnson says:
Does this Austin Powers Triple Feature (International Man of Mystery / The Spy Who Shagged Me / Goldmember) [Blu-ray] contain the Myers/Roach commentary tracks from the DVDs?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›