4.0 out of 5 stars Looks fab & fits new Macbook (May 2010), June 13, 2010
This review is from: niceEshop(TM) Keyboard Silicone Cover Skin for Apple Mac Macbook (Fit 13-15 Inches) ,Black (Personal Computers)
I have the new white unibody MacBook Amateur (May 2010 release), and I was a bit worried about the fit, as this seems to have been designed for the MacBook Pro; however, it fits perfectly. In fact, based on the other reviews, it may even be better for the Amateur than for the Pro. It gives the computer a really spiffy look and since the keys don't light up on the Amateur anyway, you don't lose that functionality.

It isn't perfect, however, and there are some significant drawbacks. First off, two of the keys already had the lettering partially rubbed off before I even got it. Due to the nature of this defect, It looks like the skin got folded at some point and two keys got stuck together or something like that, so I would definitely highly recommend NOT folding this up. I know some people take the skin off whenever they aren't using the computer, so this could be kind of a pain. It also does indicate to me that, most likely, the markings will rub off over time from use; however, it's really cheap, so I have no problem with replacing it.

The reason I have heard for taking off the skin whenever you close the book is to prevent the keys from ruining the screen, as this raised piece of silicon is being pushed up against it for long periods of time. I haven't seen any proof of this; however, I haven't been using it for very long. I would be very curious to hear feedback regarding this from people who have been using the skin for a while now.

It also does make it harder to type. You have to hit the keys harder and there also just seems to be something awkward about typing on it. Maybe it's just the feel of the silicone? I can't fully explain it, but I definitely type a lot slower now, and I don't think it's just because you have to hit the keys harder, as I've got one of those old springy keyboards at work that require hammar like strength to use. If I don't get used to it over time and it continues to hinder my typing ability, it will make this worthless to me. I'm a really fast typer, which is extremely necessary as I'm a law school student, and all we do is type constantly.

As a side note, the reason I have this new computer is because I spilled coffee on the keyboard of my previous MacBook. I haven't spilled anything on this one (yet), but it does entirely cover the keys and lays very nicely on the board; so, when I do spill something, I am pretty confident about the ability for this to protect my Amateur. I would do a test like they do on TV with ziplock bags and detergents by pouring various types of liquid on it, like red wine and coffee, to be able to attest to it's ability to prevent meltdown; however, I don't think the fine people at Apple intended the extended warrantee to cover field tests.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2010 10:32:32 PM PDT
Nick Lee says:
This is by far the most helpful and entertaining review that I've ever read on Amazon. I also appreciate that you organized your comment into paragraphs, as well as using proper grammar and spelling. Where do you go to law school? They're obviously doing a good job. Seriously, thank you. If only Amazon had editors for the rest of the review monkeys...

Anyway, enough of my babble. Here is the information you requested:

The damage to the screen is caused by two factors:
(1) The height of the keys with the protector on top of them.
(2) The cleanliness of the protector.

Any real "damage" comes from people who are too lazy to clean their keyboard protector. Dust builds up on top of the silicone/polyurethane, and pushed into the screen. LCD screens should not have pressure on them over an extended period of time (i.e. when these people with dirty covers leave their computer closed every night for weeks on end).

You'll know if you have a problem if/when you see any resemblance of the outline of your keyboard on you screen when you open your laptop. Apple computers have a good resolution and particularly glossy screens, so you will be able to spot the dust patterns easily.

Don't panic, but rather just take your cover off, wash it with soap and warm water, and leave it to dry (use a hairdryer if you're impatient, or newspaper and/or a countertop if you aren't in a rush. Paper towels, bath towels, and tissues leave too much residue, defeating the purpose of cleaning).

Hope that helps!

P.S. Your infomercial-style testing need not occur (unless you get a free computer to test with!), since all of these keyboard protectors are basically waterproof... BUT, in the case of a spill, hold down the edges of the protector so that your Amateur doesn't become too wet, or caffeinated.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›