1.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, September 25, 2009
This review is from: From Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Cooking Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
I joined a CSA this year in the throes of the winter greens season. It was a challenge to find a variety of recipes for kale and chard and all of the other greens I never looked at twice in the supermarket. I was excited when I discovered this cookbook because I thought it would make it easier to work backwards from the items I have in my fridge.

My issue with this cookbook is that the recipes incorporate ingredients that I don't find especially healthy or palatable. Several use Bisquick or similar pre-packaged items that aren't in line with the healthier lifestyle the CSA promotes. I love the idea of this cookbook - and I wish that somebody would release a similar book with healthier recipes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2010 6:43:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2010 6:50:22 PM PST
Alanna says:
Thanks for the helpful review. I am also looking for books that are organized by ingredients as I find this works best for me when I'm buying fresh vegetables based on availability from farmer's markets, CSAs, etc. I don't know if there is a perfect book out there, but I'm finding the following books helpful:

How to Pick a Peach: The Search for Flavor from Farm to Table by Russ Parsons
Breaks down by season and then by vegetable. Each vegetable/fruit has quality info about the historical context of the ingredient along with where they're grown, how to choose, how to store, how to prepare, one simple dish, and about 4 recipes each.

Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce With over 350 Recipes by Jack Bishop
A to Z guide with each vegetable featuring information on availability, selection, storage, basic prep, best cooking methods, and then about 6 recipes each.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2010 9:40:19 PM PDT
Amy Clark says:
I've noticed that a lot of cookbooks neglect winter vegetables. One of the exceptions is: The Winter Vegetarian: A Warm and Versatile Bounty I'm not a vegetarian, but there are still lots of good recipes for inspiration.

I've both interned with a CSA and been a member, and it's always a challenge to find a cookbook that will predict and use exactly what's in your box. My best advice is to be willing to substitute and adapt ingredients in recipes, or even omit some ingredients. Given that the fruits and veggies are much, much fresher than what you'd see in a grocery store, simpler recipes are often better.

It's also worth looking around for online CSA websites. Many have pretty extensive recipe databases (the CSA I belong to has a huge list at abundantharvestorganics [dot] com for example) that often incorporate seasonal combinations.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 6:52:36 PM PST
Allison says:
Good to know, but online you can usually find equivalent recipes for stuff like bisquick. It just requires more planning... or editing the book yourself! Thanks for the review!

Posted on May 26, 2012 7:10:18 PM PDT
Try Simply in Season Expanded Edition (World Community Cookbook). I think you'll find it very helpful for what you're looking for.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 11:40:50 AM PDT
BetseyB says:
I use this cookbook all the time and have not yet come across a recipe that calls for Bisquick or other convenience items. Not sure what you're making from it...

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:47:35 AM PST
catlady says:
Thanks from me too. I also want vegetable cookbooks with healthy, simple ways to cook them - no commercial ingredients like Bisquick added or needed. I go nuts at the Farmers' Market, and then don't know what to do with all that wonderful stuff and usually just steam it and add butter & salt. :-( or boring soups and dishes...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:48:09 AM PST
[[ASIN:0836194942 Simply in Season Expanded Edition (World Community Cookbook)]This might be what your looking for.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 9:44:02 AM PST
Teri says:
I agree! I have yet to come across any either! However, there are always homemade, healthy alternatives to any "convenience" items. Bisquick, for example, is simply flour, baking soda, baking powder and shortening. Many variations, vegan, gluten free or other. I generally sub coconut oil for shortening....just need to think a little outside of the box if you run into that!!!

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 12:26:31 PM PST
Mr. Radical says:
Take this lady's review with a grain of salt, nearly all of her reviews are 1 star reviews. (even cat litter).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 4:06:46 AM PDT
Fhaith says:
I have this book and I didn't find one reference to bisquick. I found reference to home made biscuits. This review confuses me and it will persuade others not to buy it. Which is a shame because it's a nice book. The coalition did a great job pulling it together.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›