4.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop listening to it, February 19, 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
Got this about six hours ago and its been on repeat since. Can't stop listening to it. It reaches the end and I just have to hear it again. That's got to be a good sign, right? I guess, but on first listen I must say I was disappointed. I was expecting/hoping for some brave new mindblowing direction after nearly four years, something to turn popular music on it's ear, stop me in my tracks. This ain't it. But like most Radiohead records, it is a thing of beauty that grows more beautiful and intricate with each listen.

Like many other reviewers suggest, if you like Kid A onwards Radiohead then you will like this. Eventually. If you are longing for the days of Creep or even Paranoid Android, then you need to back away now before your feelings get hurt. But maybe instead you should decide to trust who Radiohead are now, crack your mind open a little and let them take you somewhere no other band can. Having been listening to this album for six straight hours that's what I would do.

Much as I like it though, I can't give The King of Limbs 5 stars. I believe Radiohead are well capable of producing a mindblowing, stop me in my tracks, rock record and until I get it I'm withholding the 5th star. I guess I'm one of the Paranoid Android crew after all.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 20, 2011 1:33:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2011 1:38:04 PM PST
Uncle Dave says:
I, unfortunately, am one of the Paranoid Android crew as well, and I do read what you are saying. But, I have tried numerous times to sit back and allow this band to 'take' me somewhere each time they've come out with new music. I guess the final severing blow to my adoration of this band came with "Hail to the Thief." I was pretty much done with them after that 'fiasco' was released (so was Capitol Records, who had ALSO stood by them for years, hoping they would grow out of this 'disjointed noise phase' they were going through, until even Capitol Records had finally had enough!!). I have little hope that there is anything left for this band besides feeding their own 'ego trip' at their record company's expense. The downward spiral that this band has taken is a living shame, for any one-time HUUUGE fan, like I was. But please, by all means let me know if they ever decide to revisit their 'old days' glory and release another 'Paranoid Android quality' CD.

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 2:46:12 PM PST
davip says:
Yeah, have to agree that if you dislike Kid-A onwards you'll think this sucks also -- and suck it does. However, as other reviewers have noted, "Codex" is surely one of the loveliest things Radiohead have done -- ever. I doubt it's worth the admission price on that basis alone, but you might disagree. For those who care about such things (and I do), note that this is the usual compressed-to-fk sound quality that the band and their record company are happy to foist on the paying public. Which is why I don't anymore...

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 4:58:54 PM PST
Kevin Liner says:
I would give it the fifth star, anyhow. But it's your star ;). I did the same thing when I first listened to it. It went kinda unnoticed. But, I've kept it on repeat and listened to it throughout the day as I usually do when I acquaint myself with Radiohead's new sounds. It's grown on me quite well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 6:07:21 PM PST
Hail to the Thief is quite possibly their best album.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 6:58:34 AM PST
You should check out "In Rainbows", Uncle Dave. After absolutely adoring Kid A/Amnesiac, the band almost lost me with Hail To The Thief. "In Rainbows" completely restored my faith in the band and is probably my favorite Radiohead release now. I'm having a tough time really getting into this one. I do like Codex, Lotus Flower, and Seperator though.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 9:21:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2011 9:22:10 PM PST
Uncle Dave says:
I took your advice, Mike, and and I've been previewing "In Rainbows" for the past hour. It sounded pretty awesome, actually, even on the first listen. I am probably going to pick up the "In Rainbows" CD instead of "King of Limbs." After "Hail to the Thief", my days of rushing out and buying brand new Radiohead albums on 'blind-faith,' the day they are released, are long over. It's kinda funny, but NOBODY should have to sit there and keep looping through an entire album over and over in a desperate attempt to brainwash himself into 'liking' an album, simply because the band is "Radiohead". What I find really bizarre, is Mr. Penchanski's review quote above, where he asks: "That's got to be a good sign, right? I guess..." The fact he even needs to ask that question to other fans, just to reassure himself on his own opinion, speaks volumes about the "Emperor's New Clothes" effect that "Hail to the Thief" had on Radiohead fans like A. Frank, here, back in 2003.

Thanks again for the "In Rainbows" recommendation, Mike. Much appreciated!

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 10:13:23 AM PST
Robbie Jay says:
Have we yet put together the pieces of Radiohead's "Jigsaw falling into place?" Have we untwisted the lyrics of "These are my Twisted words" (which we already know contained something very cryptic within). And after only a few days, have we even touched on what might be in the code of the "Codex?" I think not. We listen to 37-minutes of music, we assume that's all there is, and we comment.

Well, that's not all there is. And I'm not talking about more songs or a longer album coming out in a month. I'm talking about what's really within the progressive sounds we have been given. Unfortunately I don't have the software to undo, piece back together, and decode the mystery that "Kings of Limbs" holds. I just hope that someone else can and that I will be fortunate enough one day to understand what this album is REALLY all about!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 10:29:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2011 10:30:26 AM PST
davip says:
I've been meaning to stop comment tracking on this review, and your attempt to invest the bland with a deep, hidden significance gave me just the excuse I needed. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 10:44:57 AM PST
Uncle Dave says:
I'm with you here 100%, davip. After reading Robbie Jay's comment, I'm all done here too! I just read another blog in which the author is comparing this album to "Dark Side of the Moon." Either I'm in the middle of some bizarre nightmare, or I've died and gone to hell, lol! By the way, Codex IS high quality, but like you said, it is just not enough to make an album.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 4:31:45 PM PST
s.t. says:
I disagree with that "brainwashing" comment. Some albums happen to be immediately appealing, but many others take time to fully absorb. This is a much more subtle and modest release than, say, The Bends, and so it's unlikely to wow people instantly. Whether or not you end up liking it after repeated listens depends on your personal tastes, but it's unfair to dismiss others' approach to the album as brainwashing.

Some of my favorite albums were ones that I didn't immediately love, but eventually revealed their magic to me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (316 customer reviews)

Reviewer