5.0 out of 5 stars Minor flashlighting, slow to connect wifi - otherwise, great!, July 8, 2013
This review is from: Sony KDL-70R550A 70-Inch 120Hz 1080p 3D Internet LED HDTV (Black) (2013 Model) (Electronics)
I got the 70" version of this TV a few weeks back for my new home theater setup. Despite a couple major flaws, overall I am quite happy. Blu-ray movies are stunning. Sitting about 10 feet from the screen, I almost feel like I'm in a theater. Netflix and Amazon video are pretty good too, although since they're not as high bitrate as a blu-ray, you can definitely see some compression artifacts.

This is the first TV I've ordered from Amazon and I was a little scared honestly, but having people bring the TV into your house and set it up for you is quite handy to say the least. They don't plug in all your devices, but they put it on the stand, make sure it works, and will help you place it on your media center table.

Pros:

- Excellent image quality.

- Screen lag is minimal, in regards to video games. I haven't had to use "game mode", the default seems fine.

- Menus are nice and speedy. Some people have said they're are laggy but I don't find that to be the case at all. Of the 3 smart TV's I've owned (the others being LG and Vizio), this one is by far the best when it comes to nagigating menus.

- Fairly good/simple remote. I much prefer the LG Magic Remote but since most remotes are horrible these days, this one is good relative to the average remote.

- Lots of built in video apps - I only need Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube, but there's plenty more to be had.

- Tons of inputs - I don't need them for my setup as my receiver does HDMI switching for me, but it's still nice to have so many built in.

- Passive 3D is a big pro in my opinion. Lighter glasses, less headaches, and no worrying about batteries, what's not to like?

- Relatively thin bezel for the screen size, which makes the TV look attractive (except the chrome stand...sigh)

- The viewing angle seems good to me. I see *some* dimming when going more than about 30 degrees, but not as bad as some people seem to be saying. For my setup, this point is moot, as the room is fairly narrow. And who wants to watch a TV at more than 30 degrees off center anyways?

Cons:

- It takes a few minutes for it to connect to the internet when you first turn it on. This is *super* annoying and a few times I have just went ahead and turned on my PS3 and started up Netflix that way. The point of having "apps" on your TV is so you don't have to use other devices for some functionality, so this is just dumb.

- My screen has the flashlight effect in 3 of the corners. Not nearly as bad as a lot of the pictures I've seen around the web, but still noticeable sometimes. I don't notice it at all when playing video games. I rarely notice when watching movies. Only when the screen is almost entirely black, which isn't that often. I mainly only see it when switching inputs on my receiver. It does annoy me, but if you want a TV this big, it's pretty much impossible to get no flashlighting so you have to be willing to live with some degree of it.

- Weak wifi signal - My PS3 had no problems streaming Netflix in HD, but my TV could barely even connect to the router when I first got it (in the same room as the PS3). I had to get a wifi extender for it to get a good signal. And that's fine anyways, as I like having a stronger signal everywhere throughout the house. So if you're going to use wifi with this thing, make sure your router is not more than one or two rooms away, unless you have an extender.

- The energy saver stuff is ridiculously bad, but at least you can turn it off. Do so immediately or the screen will shut off entirely any time the screen turns 100% black and it won't come back on unless you power cycle the TV. I can't believe this passed QA!

- The screen is fairly reflective. Mine is in a dark room so it doesn't affect me, but if you have windows behind your couches/chairs, you will definitely see reflections.

- I mentioned the menus are speedy before, but the *settings* menus are a bit confusing and poorly organized.

I have to drop half a star for both flashlighting and the time spent waiting for wifi after turning it on. Those are the only two major flaws for me. This TV is quite new so I'm sure a firmware update will fix the wifi issue in the future, at which point I would revise my rating to 4.5 stars. But since I can't give half a star, it will remain a 4-star rating even if that gets fixed.

** UPDATE, 2013-10-22 **
So it's been a few months. Amazingly, the flashlighting just went away on its own after a month or so. One corner still has it *barely* and I only see it when the screen is 100% black, but it's completely gone from the rest of the screen. I didn't know such a thing could occur.

Also, a firmware update must have fixed the wifi issue as it now connects much faster. Still not quite as fast as I'd like, but generally within 20 seconds it's connected.

These were my only two major complaints with the TV and since they're both fixed, I'm revising to 5 stars. I absolutely *love* this TV!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2013 7:43:20 PM PDT
C. Stair says:
I know this isn't the right forum for this, but I recently purchased this tv and totally agree with your review. My biggest problem is the power save mode, which I can't seem to turn off. I have searched everywhere online and you are the only one that has mentioned this problem. How do you turn this mode off?!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2013 10:36:14 PM PDT
dmron says:
I don't remember actually! It was definitely unintuitive and I seem to remember there being two separate places to set some kind of power saving option - I just disabled both of them to be safe and it worked. I'm not in front of the TV now in order to tell you the specific steps.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 2:12:38 PM PDT
R. Luo says:
I bought the 60 inch recently and found the same "slow to connect" problem. The time it takes to establish wireless connection is rather random and in most case not acceptable. It seems like in general the TV has a resistance to establish a connection. I am going to ask SONY to see if there is a fix but in case you already know a solution, please share it with me.

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 12:21:20 PM PST
BDUB619 says:
Quick tip - if you have "flashlighting" try the "massage technique": take a microfiber cloth and put over your fingers and gently massage against the TV screen on top of where the flashlighing is occuring. This appears to help "break-in" the LED's and flashlighting will disappear (unless extremely severe). Or as you mentioned, as the TV breaks-in they disappear on their own.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 9:08:10 AM PST
Umar E. says:
Is "flashlighting" the same as clouding? I purchased this TV about 6 months ago and now noticing clouding in the center of the screen and at the bottom right corner. On a dark screen it is pretty obvious but other than that you can't see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 10:51:41 AM PST
dmron says:
Do a Google image search for "tv flashlight effect" to see what it generally looks like. It's strange though that this problem would start now, I haven't heard of it ever becoming worse over time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (243 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $1,754.55