5.0 out of 5 stars I like it.., August 7, 2011
This review is from: M-241: Holux M-241 Bluetooth Data Logger GPS (Runs on AA Battery, MTK Chipset, 130,000 Waypoints) (Accessory)
Simply put. I like this little data logger.

I've had mine for. oh. I guess it is coming up on 3 years now. I tried 2 others previously and they just didn't work well for me. But this one did. It DOES have it's quirks. and you have to work around them.. But of the ones I looked at.. and the few others I bought this is by far the best..

I used the 241 traveling though California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Georgia, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Washington DC, The Netherlands, France, The Czech Republic and Russia. It was used exclusively for photo tagging and keeping track of the days journey ( track logging )

All the specs are here for you to read. So instead of repeating them I would like to answer some of the other reviews with my own experiences.

Data downloading via Bluetooth. In a word. don't. Yes. it IS slow. of course it is. Bluetooth transfers data at about 2.1 mbps USB has a speed of 480mbps. But the 241 uses a mini USB cord that many cell phones and cameras use so you probably already have one and won't have to have one more special cord in your bag.

Tech Support. I only wrote them once with a question. The company and support is in China. So you have to remember this when writing them. Keep it as simple and clear as possible and you have a much better chance of getting a relevant response. Make it complicated. and the poor tech might decide it is easier to hit the delete key than break out the Chinese to English dictionary.

The screen. It is somewhat small. But, then again so is the device. I do wish some information was presented in a larger font.. But I was able to work with it..

RBT-2300. If it works for you.. then I am happy for you.. I really am. I started out with 2 similar devices. I didn't like that they had batteries I could not get in any corner store in the world. I also did not like having to try and remember what color blinking light meant what. I like the 241 where I can look at the display.. see it is recording.. and see that I am traveling at 551 mph at 33,010 feet in the air! I also LOVED that I could hang it off my backpack with its little included lanyard.
Lost log Files. In 6 months of everyday use I think I lost about 5 days log files. Don't know why.. maybe was due to a battery going out.. but.. 5 out of 180 isn't unacceptable to me.

Time to first fix. Most times this is less than 1 min.. the exception.. and this is an important one. When the battery is getting low it takes much longer to get first fix.. So.. make sure you start the day with a fresh battery!

Rechargeable Batteries. Holux advises against it. I don't. They do have a lower voltage than disposable batteries so it becomes even more important that they are fully charged before starting the day. But, a 2300 - 2500mah battery should last you 10-12 hours with the bluetooh off and if you are not playing with the backlight every few min. Of course not everyone can recharge batteries at night.. while camping for example. so just plan on 1 battery per day and bring 1-2 extra.

Auto Logging. There seems to be some disagreement on this one. Well. believe the 2 that have owned it for a while. It DOES auto log. just have to enable it in the menu..

Accuracy display. Nope, it don't have one. But.. if you take a walk with it.. compare your track to where you know you went.. you get a pretty good feel for the accuracy. It's pretty good.

Updates. Like ANY device. if you don't download and install available fixes and updates when you get a new toy you have no business complaining about things that have already been fixed.. If you only update the software without updating the firmware.. you still have no excuse to complain.. You should have done both at the same time. And, you should have thought to uninstall the updated software and revert back to the first version if you needed to get the data off the device.

Indoor performance. It has none. Common.. really.. you are going to complain about indoor performance? Just how big is your home that you need GPS in it? GPS was developed for the military for the purpose of navigating from point A to point B ( OUTDOORS ).. or to preciecely drop death from above. Neither of which requires it to work indoors. So, it was not designed for that..

Will it work on a airplane? Assuming you get smacked around by a flight attendant.. the answer is.. It depends. If you have a window seat. or seat next to the window you should be fine.. further towards the center of the cabin and you will have problems. Just point it towards the window..

Battery life: I hardly used disposable batteries in it.. So it is difficult for me to disupute one persons claim that a energizer battery lasted only 6 hours. But. I have to ask.. was bluetooth on.. the backlight? In my experience you should have been able to get 12 hours with the necessary things off..

Oh. a couple other things..

You do have to take care with the battery door.. not a lot.. just keep it in mind. My 241 finally died when the metal conductor came off the inside of the battery door. I'll put a drop of epoxy under it when I buy my next one..

Screen. It does scratch. I'd advise putting a piece of clear tape over it.. when that gets scuffed up just take it off and put another one in its place.

Buy it as far in advance of a trip as piratical. You will get the chance to get to know it and what to expect from it.. if it turns out to not be your cup of tea you have time to return it and get something else..

Download your tracks and do your geotagging daily!!! Cannot stress this enough! If at all piratical upload your daily pics and track information to a cloud service like Windows Skydrive or Gmail.

In short ( bet you wish I said that 5 min ago ).. if you want a small device for logging and geotagging.. get it!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]