4.0 out of 5 stars Pitch-perfect look at a group of soldiers, and their place in 'at home' culture, May 5, 2012
This review is from: Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first heard about this book (and Karl Marlantes' blurb), I assumed it was written by a veteran - it isn't, and that's really amazing, because this is a pitch-perfect look into a soldier's experiences.

I say that as a veteran (of Desert Storm) and an embedded journalist in Iraq in 2007-09, so I have some first-hand knowledge with what he describes. To me, the voices and actions of the characters are dead-on accurate.

It's got some flaws, which I'll get to first so I can finish strong. In my mind, the flaws are because he's trying so hard at writing something big and memorable, and it gets away from him at times.

The conclusion veers into melodrama. Up until the last 40 pages or so, I could pretty much buy the events as possible real-life occurrences. But the end features a couple moments where I couldn't quite suspend disbelief.

While the civilians he describes behave realistically, there's times when it feels very much like the author's "meta rant" against the American mindset - he sets up some characters as one-dimensional straw men so he can show his disdain. I agree with what he's presenting, but it doesn't always feel like a story - more like he's trying to inject a point into the fictional narrative. Which is fine, but not if it's obvious like it sometime is.

Most of the time, the story is told in present-day perspective with some flashbacks. Very occasionally, he switches into describing the future, and that's awkward. For me, I would have liked no 'future look' at all.

So, okay, those things threw me off.

Everything else is very strong. Marlantes called it a "Catch 22" of the Iraq War - but that's not accurate, because to me it's not really a satire. Fountain isn't over-dramatizing events (except occasionally as I note), or exaggerating things for comic effect - it feels real, not deliberately over-the-top.

Billy Lynn and his fellow soldiers are often treated as props by the civilians they encounter - it might seem unlikely, but it's not. When I came back from Desert Storm, I was treated nicely, of course, but as a prop for the patriotic feelings for others - nobody cared about 'me,' but they did care about their opportunity to tell me how proud they were about America, my service, the troops, blah blah blah, and then I had to hear their two-cent opinion about every little tactical decision (I was a photographer who drove a Humvee - Gen. Schwarzkopf didn't keep me in his loop...). That disconnect comes across very accurately in Fountain's narrative.

This is what homecoming is like. So in the crazy situation that Fountain has put them in, the characters look for what's familiar - and that's their fellow soldiers.

The voice of those soldiers - all infantrymen - is spot on. This IS how infantrymen behave, especially when they're in a small group being gawked at. It's them against the world, and the fights they get into, arguments they have, flouting authority (but not their sergeant's), all ring very true.

Billy Lynn, the 19-year-old hero and main character, reminds me of some of the soldiers I met - very confident and self-assured, but not on a very deep level, like it wouldn't take much for the act to fall away. He's a hero you'll root for.

It's tough to describe the plot because I don't want to give things away. I think a reader should know not to expect some tragedy at the end that betrays your affection for the characters. There is a Hollywood subplot about a possible movie that's entertaining, and probably truthful, but I wouldn't know. A thinly-described parody of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is good for comic, and not-so-comic relief (he should have just named him). Obviously, a cheerleader comes into play.

Military readers should be aware of places they'll need to suspend disbelief - a Silver Star would take much longer to award than described here; I find it very hard to believe that the group of men would have to go back to Iraq at the conclusion of the "Victory Tour," and I wish Fountain came up with some kind of reason (even if contrived) to explain that; getting into fights in an Army dress uniform and then walking around afterwards and still look presentable would be very difficult.

But I really liked this story. I like any book that honestly tells a soldier's story. It's refreshing to read a book about the homecoming, or at least scenes at home, rather than another story that takes place in Iraq itself.

I think a military audience would really like this book, and will laugh and be annoyed at the right parts.

But I'm not sure the right civilian audience will ever read "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk." It's a solid reminder, even in fictional form, that soldiers are not props for our own conflicted feelings of feel-good patriotism, which is so rarely backed up by actual deeds or service. If people have nothing to offer returning veterans but, "you know, what we really should do in Iraq/Afghanistan is..." then they should say nothing at all.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2012 9:23:59 PM PDT
Lou says:
I DO thank you for your service.

Posted on May 6, 2012 7:38:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 7:40:51 AM PDT
Hey, thanks buddy!

(Also, I saw you just reviewed "Devil in White City." I actually have the 'top 3-star review' for Larson's "Garden of Beasts" book, which I didn't care for that much - If you read it, I'd be interested to hear what you thought)

Posted on May 24, 2012 6:13:41 PM PDT
Maris Jahnke says:
An extremely thoughtful and appropriate review. I'm certainly a civvy who couldn't even begin to comprehend the struggles that soldiers face overseas and upon return, but this review made me pause and think... perhaps there is another perspective, an accurate perspective that would give the average American a second to consider. I have no background in military history or fiction but this review not only inspires curiosity but almost presents a challenge: to see this not only as a comedy/drama/snapshot in time of a fictional man but as a representative work of true American experience. Thank you Mr. Webster, I accept the challenge gladly!

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 1:32:57 PM PDT
I can't add to the previous comment except to thank you for a detailed, knowledgeable, and balanced review. Unfortunately much of this book, after forty years in this country, makes me feel like an alien all over again, but that's the way it is, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 2:55:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 2:56:22 PM PDT
I'm starting to feel like a stranger here, myself...

Read your review...I liked it more than you did, but I agree with you that the best time for this book might have been four years ago (or maybe 10 years from now). But I think it was good that he wrote it, and hopefully it eventually finds an audience beyond the already-converted - maybe like Maris above! :-)

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 3:18:51 AM PDT
As a civilian, I loved the book! It's wonderful to read a veteran's perspective and know that Billy's feelings are accurate. I wondered if he wasn't merely the mouthpiece for the author's critique of American society. Thank you for the review.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:24:35 AM PDT
David Hall says:
Mr. Webster, you nailed all of the pieces I liked about "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk"...and also tagged the parts where I too had to suspend belief. As an old soldier who returned to the Army in time to serve a tour in Iraq, I've met these soldiers many times over in real life. They are what make military service memorable. The richness of these characters, combined with little vignettes similar to what I also experienced leaving for war, and upon returning home, kept me engrossed throughout the novel.

By the way, who do you write for? I'd like to read some of your articles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 7:38:03 PM PDT
I was freelance, so I didn't work "for" anybody, exactly.

Here is some stuff:Can't Give This War Away: Break Beneath A Bridge

Put "Nathan Webster Can't Give This War Away" into the Amazon search bar, and you'll see some other stuff....or Google it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 11:32:56 PM PDT
David Hall says:
Thanks, I will look forward to reading more of your work!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:55:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 9:56:51 AM PDT
Cool...if you get a chance to read the "Bridge" chapter, I hope you write a review - and want to read more!

A lot of my newspaper stories show up if you do a "Nathan Webster Iraq" search, just wade through other links...they're there, though.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (723 customer reviews)

$25.99 $17.78
Reviewer

Nathan Webster
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 387