5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter Bag, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Nikon Deluxe Digital SLR Camera Case - Gadget Bag (Electronics)
I ordered this bag shortly after ordering my D3100. Since I am just starting out, I don't have much to carry when I go mobile. This bag is perfect for my needs.

The outside of the bag is made mostly of heavy-duty Nylon. The look and feel immediately exudes protection. The bottom of the case has hard rubber feet to prevent slipping and protecting the bag covering itself from scuffs and such. Opening it up, the inside is very well padded. Included are four, hook-and-loop dividers of differing shapes and sizes. These are padded as well, and they easily, and securely, attached to the inside of the case at any position. Currently, I am only using three of the dividers. I have my D3100, with the 18-55mm kit lens attached, taking up roughly two-thirds of the available interior space. The remaining space is bifurcated, with a 55-300mm lens on one side, and a SB-700 on the other. This is a variation of the setup depicted in one of the Amazon product images. However, I am sure as my inventory of equipment grow, I will experiment with different configurations. Having the option to define the interior space was a huge plus in the decision to purchase this bag.

As for pocketed storage, a zippered, mesh pocket is underneath the top of the case. This, for now, holds some filters, extra lens caps, and some cleaning wipes. The large, zippered pocket in the front holds more cleaning wipes, battery charger, and flash accessories. Perhaps, this pocket could have improved by including some dedicated, fitted sleeves for extra memory cards, since there are none with this bag.

On the outside of the case, there are four more pockets. On the very top, there's a small, zippered pocket. For me, this only holds extra Eneloop batteries for the flash. On either end of the bag, there is a pouch pocket that's held closed with hook-and-loop. These pockets were difficult in determining their function. I recommend storing something tall and relatively thin. It's not easy to dig deep for something smaller inside these pockets, especially for someone with larger hands. Personally, I keep a USB cable in one and a remote shutter in the other.

Finally, on the back of the bag is one large pocket that is not secured or padded, and for these reasons, I tend to keep unimportant items inside it, like cleaning cloths or wipes. Another suggestion was to use it for manuals or something similar. This seems like a logical use, and it would work well for that purpose.

Summing up, this is a very high-quality product for the price, considering the manufacturer. It's customizable for individual needs and of a perfect size for the casual photographer or beginner. I can carry everything I need, so long as I've planned appropriately, and there's no worry about the security of my valuable investments inside.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]