ARRAY(0x961921c8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake up, Samsung (Peeling Issue), June 29, 2011
This review is from: Samsung PN59D7000 59" Class 3D Plasma HDTV 1080p - 600 Hz - 4 HDMI inputs [2011 MODEL] (Electronics)
Length:: 0:49 Mins

I purchased this marvelous television after countless research and first-hand looks at B&M stores. The PN597000 is a slight step-down from Samsung's flagship 8000 model, but it's also plagued with the same issues, most notably a "peeling" issue.

Samsung devised a solution to eliminate most of the glare from the 7000/8000 series sets, calling it the Real Black Filter. The RBF is a sheet of thin plastic laminated on the inside of the front set glass to mitigate glare caused by direct incoming light for those rooms with a lot of ambient light present. Kind of like a tint for a car window. Is it effective? Yes.

Does it at a huge price? Absolutely.

You see, what Samsung failed to predict and discover - and, more disturbingly, what they refuse to acknowledge even at this stage - is that this plastic sheet can PEEL on its own from the inside, possibly due to the considerable heat generated from the plasma set, creating air bubbles within the screen itself that will only EXPAND during the course of time, distorting or otherwise ruining the television.

I've learned about the peeling issue before getting the television set, since it seemed not everyone was having this issue (although a great number were). I thoroughly inspected my television around the edge using a flashlight and found no signs of peeling. It wasn't until after 100 hours of breaking in the plasma did I notice a slight distortion on the top right corner of my set, and it was as I feared: my set was peeling.

I'm still one week into the purchase of this television, and I will undoubtedly return it toward the tail end of my 30-day exchange window as my television's newfound problem will only accelerate over the course of time. Every report I've heard from other owners with this issue seem to indicate that matters will only get worse from here.

I urge both current and potential buyers to research this matter before it's too late. I will exchange my set for a newer model, but I have very little hope that the new machine will not suffer from the same issue as my current one as the problem is inherit in the design of the set and not a mere random defection.

UPDATE: 07/09/2011 - A second peeling (air bubble) has appeared, this time on the top left corner of the screen.

UPDATE 2: 07/27/2011 - Just received my replacement TV from Amazon (Love you, Amazon!), and am currently in the process of breaking it in. By this time, Samsung has discovered the underlying cause of the peeling issue. Apparently, the television's bezel is pressed too closely against the black filter, and needs to be separated slightly more. A solution has been devised and, from my understanding, Samsung will fix or replace any TV suffering from peeling issues with an updated panel provided that it's still under warranty. Unfortunately, they won't replace existing stock of their TVs with revised models, so new customers might still face this issue

UPDATE 3 (11/24/11): Second TV has not shown any initial signs of peeling or bubbling. I attribute this more to luck than anything else as the TV was built around the same time as the original defective one, and Samsung didn't address the issue at the point of the purchase. I've read that, in some cases, signs of peeling might won't surface until months later, and some owners are SOL as a result since the peeling occurred after the expiration of the warranty. I'll post another update in 3 months (or sooner if any unfortunate developments occur). If it can last a year without any problems, I'll upgrade my rating.

Update 4 (6/3/13): I've now owned the replaced set for two years and no problems whatsoever, so as promised i have upgraded my rating to 5 stars after originally giving it 1 due to the screen bubbles. This will be my final update of this product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2011 5:32:44 PM PDT
VVV says:
Thanks for this review. I 'was" going to buy this but will now look at another brand.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 8:11:10 PM PDT
Anarchy84 says:
I really liked this TV. I even ordered it, but canceled my order when I found out about this issue. I called Samsung to ask them if they had fixed the issue yet about a week and a half ago and they lied to me and said that it was just stupid people that weren't taking the protective film off their screen. I have a friend who works for Best Buy and he told me that there is no protective layer on the screens when you take them out of the box. Only on the the bezel. He also told me he's seen the screen peeling on 3 occasions, and it's something that happens on the inside of the screen.

Samsung's dishonesty on the matter, and their failure to do a recall or even admit there is a problem lost my business. I'm waiting on my Panasonic P60GT30 as we speak.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 2:32:21 PM PDT
K. Nahra says:
Thanks so much for this review, especially the last update (7/27/11). It is comforting to know that Samsung will replace the set as long as it is still under warranty. In that case I think it is worth purchasing .......
Thanks again.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 7:21:40 PM PDT
C. Chu says:
You would think a name brand like Samsung would at least burn-in their flagship tvs to see if there is any problem before release them into the market. Too bad, I was going to buy it, now I need to look to other brand for my big screen tv.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 3:45:57 PM PST
Mike says:
It's been several months since you posted this review. Do you have any updates on this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 8:54:32 PM PST
J. Reed says:
Second TV has not had any issues whatsoever. I'm still holding my breath, however, since I've heard reports that, for some TVs, early signs of the peeling issue don't surface until months after the purchase.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 9:20:23 PM PST
Juice says:
I've been looking at all these posts from the top 2 rated plasma tv,s--the panasonic vt30 and the top Samsung. It is so wearisome. When spending 2-3 thousand dollars --I have to play Russian Roulette and stand a fair chance with junk within a year? This is insanity! Is there any hope?

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 1:11:03 PM PST
N. Harold says:
Even if the warranty runs up, I'm more than sure Samsung will honor it considering they know of the peeling issue. You can always purchase an extended warranty, which is something you should always do in the first place for anything that expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:02:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 10:04:35 PM PST
J. Reed says:
Right. As I'm sure they'll promptly resolve any other issue that surfaces after the obligatory warranty period. Your faith in the genoristy and altruism of Samsung is certainly uplifting. However, I prefer the more pragmatic portion of your contribution, pertaining to the extended warranty which I've already applied to the television, much to the chagrin of my wallet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 12:38:17 PM PST
John Dye says:
Actually, you should NEVER buy an extended protection plan. Ask people in the biz -- they are HUGE cash cows. Why? Because with technology always evolving/improving, most people just purchase a newer/better model rather than go through the hassle of actually processing a claim, waiting for TV to be repaired/replaced, etc.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›