Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

1,061 of 1,074 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, December 3, 2011
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 67601 Big Mouth Juice Extractor, Black (Kitchen)
My wife and I have been using this juicer on a regular basis for a few months now, so we have good idea of what it can do. This is a good juicer for semi-regular use making quantities of a quart or less. We ask a lot of our juicer making four or five quarts at a time a couple of times a week. After about four months of regular use, we've noticed that the cutter/basket is getting a little dull, so we aren't getting as much juice from our produce, and it doesn't cut as quickly. The good news is that replacement baskets are only $12 on the Hamilton Beach website. This compares to around $50 to replace the Breville equivalent part. The bad news is that I just went to order a couple and they were out of stock, so I'm stuck with the dull one for now. For this reason I'm giving four stars instead of five. I may change that to three if they don't get the cutter/baskets back in stock soon. Update: The Hamilton Beach website now has them in stock. I ordered two and they were quickly delivered.

We've notice the following about using the unit: If you plan to do larger quantities, you might want to consider a more upscale unit. Depending on what you are juicing, you'll usually need to clean the cutter/basket to maintain efficiency after a quart or two. After that the screen tends to get clogged and you'll loose some juice into the pulp bin. Apples, cucumbers and the like do fine without clogging the screen, so I start with those. I'll do the carrots last since the pulp seals the little holes in the screen pretty quickly. Pineapple and ginger fibers seem to get caught in the cutting teeth, so I also do these at the end. The top also slowly fills up with pulp, and you'll need to clean it to keep going after a couple of quarts of juice making. Just pop the top and scoop it out (make sure the motor stops spinning before you remove the top); you can do a more thorough cleaning once you're done. Again, if you're just making a quart or two, none of this should be a problem.

Cleanup is fairly easy if you do it right after juicing. Most of the pulp rinses right off, but the cutter/basket takes a little scrubbing, and you want to be meticulous because once the pulp dries, it's really hard to remove.

Some folks have complained about the pulp in the juice. We actually enjoy the texture and prefer it this way. It seems like we're drinking something substantial. Just to be clear, it is still very much juice/liquid, it just contains some pulp too. We especially enjoy juicing a couple of beets into the mix for the flavor and the rich red color.

We make larger quantities of juice each time, because we don't have the time it takes to scrub and prepare the fruits and veggies every day, so we keep some in the fridge for the busy days. It's recommended that for maximum nutritional benefit you drink the juice right away, but it seems to keep and taste good for up to three days in the fridge. For folks that do daily juicing of smaller quantities, this unit should give good service at a very reasonable price.

Note: When I first plugged it in, I couldn't get it to turn on. After fooling around with it for a few minutes, I discovered that the top latch arms must be secured in very a specific way or it won't start. This is a safety measure to ensure that it won't start with the cutter/basket exposed. Now that I know what I'm doing it starts right up every time. Make absolutely sure that you have the top exactly in place before you send it back as DOA.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2012 9:08:18 AM PDT
Mirage says:
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. Based on this, it seems like it will be the right juicer for the frequency/quantity I'll be using it for. Especially like the tip on the order in which to juice the fruits/veggies :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 9:49:48 AM PDT
LittleLinda says:
I agree! Thank you for the post. It was very helpful to know the order of different types of fruits and veggies make. I just started juicing 7 weeks ago. Thanks again for the tips.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:29:23 PM PDT
K. Dittman says:
Un-pasteurized juice will grow bacteria very quickly. It's recommended to drink whatever you juice within about an hour of juicing. Storing the juice in the fridge for a few days is not recommended. I found this disappointing too, as my hope was to make my juice for the week in individual bottles that I could just grab and go. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem I'll be able to do this. Solid information on how long your juice is okay for is hard to find, but most sites recommend drinking right away to avoid bacteria growth. Pasteurizing the juice at home also seems to be a long a complicated process. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:39:18 PM PST
E. Mackenzie says:
Pasteurization is a very simple process actually, all you are doing is heating the juice to reduce the amount of bacteria. To do it by the book you would heat the juice on the stove and hold it at 145 F for 30 minutes, then put it in your fridge in clean container of your choosing. All done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 4:17:31 PM PST
IM says:
Unfortunately that destroys part and sometimes all of Vitamins A, B1, C, D and Pantothenic Acid.

That, for me, would defeat the purpose of juicing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 8:22:34 AM PST
R. Vyas says:
Thank you very much! Made my decision to buy an easy one!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 10:27:04 AM PST
K. P. C. says:
You can freeze fruit juices in individual bottles (I've never tried veggie juices). Just leave the bottles open until the juice freezes as it will expand and can crack sealed bottles. A plus is that in hot weather the icy slush you'll get as the juice thaws in most refreshing - speaking as one who lives in the Caribbean with two mangos, papaya, carambola, orange and grapefruit trees that bear in abundance when in season!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 10:45:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2013 10:46:14 AM PST
Luna Media says:
Nice idea. I don't see why freezing wouldn't work fine for veg's too. We'll try it, and thanks for posting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 5:49:50 AM PST
you could always freeze right away in ice cube trays and then take out like 4 and add a little bit of water the night before and let thaw in fridge overnight and the next morning fresh juice :)

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 7:50:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2013 7:57:08 PM PDT
Valerie says:
I sure like my Big Mouth. It does what it is advertised to do quickly & efficiently, and like Michael says above, it's easy to clean. I'm new to juicing having been recently compelled into juicing & drinking cabbage juice to get rid of a stubborn case of serious gastritis. Voila! After drinking the juice (in 4 divided doses) from one head of cabbage per day, I am well & back to my regular diet after only ONE week! So even if I never use it again... for the little bit I spent on this juicer and 7 cabbage heads, I consider this one of my best purchases compared to a doctor visit and prescription medications.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›