Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island CD, January 12, 2005
This review is from: Concert Sinatra (Audio CD)
A friend asked today, "If you could keep only ONE of his albums, which one goes with you to the proverbial desert island?" The short answer is, "This one." But a big ocean of memories will surround that island.

---

Back when I was just six years old, I attended my best friend David Pearce's birthday party, and his mother -- a widow, who I can remember thinking was so beautiful -- took out a picture of little David's late father and told us boys how she'd married on the "Day of Infamy." (Much later I'd learn that was the term used by President FDR for December 7, 1941 when Pearl Harbor was hit, launching American involvement in WWII). Then Mrs. Pearce told us that "Frank Sinatra, you don't know him, was always our favorite singer." I remember feeling honored, at that moment----in some way that my six year old heart could never express in words---that she would share with us that photograph, and her memories of David's late father. And then, speaking to me alone (as the other boys at the party gravitated towards David's new toys) Mrs. Pearce told me in a soft voice: "Frank Sinatra is the greatest singer, Mark. Maybe someday you'll agree with me." Then she put on one of his records---something from the first Capitol album of 1953 (how I wish with all my heart that I could recall which song she selected---but I do remember listening, dutifully, and feeling very much like a big man who was seeing eye-to-eye with this beautiful woman who was treating me like an adult.
-------
I grew up in a musically literate home, with loving (and very musical) parents who once saw a live performance by Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey's band in July of 1940 (at Toronto's "Canadian National Exhibition"----a sort of glorified `state fair' in Canada's largest city). My parents had no Frank Sinatra LPs from the 1950s (only one or two old "Columbia" 78s from the late 1940s). Dad gave Mom two Nat Cole LPs in the 60s, including one arranged by Gordon Jenkins---my Mom's favorite singer and her favorite arranger, right up until her death three years ago.

My parents always took us to see "Broadway" musicals as performed locally, (in my hometown of Ottawa Canada) and eventually---in 1960---they took us to see the "real thing"----I remember being told that the theatre house lights were being dimmed all over Broadway that very night because Oscar Hammerstein had just died. Mom told me "He's the greatest lyricist, Mark" suggesting (like Mrs. Pearce) that one day, perhaps when I was older, I might agree with her.

On that same visit to NYC I remember stepping off an elevator in the Plaza Hotel, and my father immediately telling me "that man there, you just rode in the elevator with is Richard Rodgers" (who would one day be my favorite composer). But as with beautiful Mrs. Pearce trying to introduce me to Frank Sinatra, I just "wasn't ready" to appreciate greatness.

----

It was on a January day just this one -- twelve years ago -- that I returned home from work to hear words from my wife that I'd been aching to hear: "You got a letter from Frank Sinatra."

I remember taking off my winter coat and boots, and stumbling into another room where I could be alone, making sure my hands were clean, and getting a bright reading light, and carefully opening the envelope and reading the note and re-reading it (ten times? twenty times?).

I remember being overcome with emotion, saying to myself, "Do you realize what an honor you've just received? This is from someone who, early in his career, received letters like mine numbering 3,000 a week! Do you appreciate that he took the time---perhaps ten minutes of his life---to read your two-page letter, and then compose this signed response-you-hold-in-your-hands? Do you realize what this is? The greatest musical entertainer of the Twentieth Century is telling you personally--- "I greatly appreciate your interest in my music" and "it was so nice of you to take the time to write."

With an extra decade of immersing myself in Frank Sinatra's greatness, I'd have to say that only a "religious experience" --- and a glimpse of Eternity---could ever surpass what I feel in my heart, the sheer exhilarating joy I experience, when I listen for example, to "My Heart Stood Still" (my favorite of these). There is the high plateau where the singer and his great collaborator Nelson Riddle have their true, "shining hour." At that defining moment in 1963, the arranger conducts his finest orchestrations, with the largest symphony orchestra ever assembled in Hollywood---as the singer on a mountain peak of vocal greatness, performs his favorite songs by his (and my) favorite composer. For me personally that is the `coming-together-of-a-lifetime,' ----all the peak emotions of memory, from Mrs. Pearce, to Rodgers & Hammerstein, to Nelson Riddle---a lifetime's worth of emotion, bringing me tears of joy each time I hear it. (These days, the experience is rationed to perhaps once a month, and then just a cut or two at a time, so as to preserve the experience----I want to `spread it out' over the rest of my life, if I can.)

----
In the final paragraph of my letter 12 years ago, I told Frank Sinatra how I'd "discovered your enduring greatness somewhat late in life. But perhaps that's why I appreciate you the more now.

"Thanks then, for being you, is all I want to say. The world would be a poorer place if you'd never passed this way. And I think, after six decades of your work, without anyone surpassing your greatness, I guess it's safe to say `We'll never know your like again.' Best wishes for a long and healthy life.

Sincerely,

Mark Blackburn

Winnipeg

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2007 1:12:27 AM PST
Mark this is a completely fascinating and engrossing review and it is great that you were able to move Sinatra himself in such a positive way...reminds me so much of my childhood in the fifties when my very sophisicated & artistic grandmother introduced me to Sinatra, Judy and Peggy Lee as the greatest and my young ears told me this was so...those memories are wondrous and magical now so thanks for bringing them back!
Best wishes,
Bradly

Posted on Feb 12, 2008 5:35:26 PM PST
bluesboy says:
i inherited quite a few albums from a relative who passed away. One of them is this album. A vinal album that was never played before. What a treat. I read your extensive, heartfelt review as I listened to this for the first time. Thank you for sharing your experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2008 8:07:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2008 8:14:38 AM PST
Thanks, Bluesboy!

That relative of yours, who bequeathed you this masterpiece of an LP, would be so happy knowing you appreciated their pristine, black-vinyl copy of what continues to be my favorite Sinatra album! Just had to express my deepest thanks for your kind words -- and for taking the time to 'comment.' (We get so little positive feedback in this world!)

Anyway, I imagined you, listening to "The Concert Sinatra" for the first time, and in the format my audiophile friends with expensive turntables insist is "far-and-away" the best way to enjoy it. And my delight was compounded, picturing you -- as you "listened to this, for the first time, while reading (my) review." That image meant the world to me. Thanks again, for making my day!

Incidentally, those parts of Michigan (bordering on three of the Great Lakes) such as your own St. Claire Shores, I consider the most beautiful in all of America -- especially the "Upper Peninsula" in summer and (especially) when the leaves start to turn in the fall. Paradise of the North!

Be well and happy, Bluesboy. And write more reviews in 2008!

Sincerely,

Mark Blackburn
Winnipeg Canada

Posted on May 1, 2008 4:37:37 PM PDT
FAS1 says:
Very, very touching tribute, Mark. Sinatra WAS special.....to me and countless millions of fans. Mr. Sinatra spoke to me through song like no other singer ever has.....or probably ever will. He touched a nerve--something that no one has ever done before.....or probably ever will. Thank God we have all these marvelous recordings that most likely number close to 1,500 songs!!! As we celebrate the tenth anniversary of his passing, I can only say....."Thank God we had him for 82 years!!" He was an extraordinary singer and really was the "soundtrack" of many of our lives. Sleep well, Frank!! We all miss you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2010 7:03:57 AM PDT
Mark - your review is so beautiful. Are you a writer? You must be.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 7:08:59 AM PDT
Bill G. says:
what a great story (hesitate to call it a review) from someone who obviously appreciates the chairman. my father was lucky enough to be be one of two people in a bar in palm springs while waiting for my mom to get ready on their honeymoon. "hey" my dad says to the bartender, "is that who i think it is?". "yeah", says the bartender, "wanna meet him?"

can you imagine a dumber question ever being asked!?

cheers.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 10:11:46 AM PST
Movie buff says:
Thanks so much for sharing your story. I, myself had come to really appreciate Mr. Sinatra far later in my life than I would have liked. It's sad to say most folks these days only know of Frank from parodies and impersonations on TV. I'm hoping that more folks will find their way to "Ol' Blue Eyes" through this album and all his many others too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 5:21:30 PM PST
Mark says:
Cheryl,

Thank you for your lovely comment. I am not a professional writer. I am a professional broadcaster who loves to wire. Needless to say, my passion for Sinatra is obvious.

Warmest,
Mark

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 4:56:39 PM PST
Lizzy says:
This is so fascinating! You have a great ability to paint a clear image in your reader's head. I will be sharing this with my 18 year old son - who is a musician himself - as I know he will be enthralled reading your beautiful story and will really appreciate it.
Thank you so much for sharing it Mr. Blackburn!
All the best,
Elizabeth de la Rosa

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:14:38 PM PST
You won't believe this, Liz! This very day -- March 1, I picked up my "Concert Sinatra" CD (latest remastered edition) looked at it and said to myself: "You haven't played this in its entirety in two years." So I did. Lo and behold, your note of appreciation for this (one of my personal favorites among reviews I've written.

A propos nothing but shared musical sensibilities, "Lizzy" you might enjoy a thread I have going at the 'world's biggest website for musicians,' Harmony Central (in the "how to" section of their "songwriting" folder of their forums). It reached 491,000 (correct) "views" this week. Here's a link. Hope it's clickable and that you can find your way there if the spirit moves you. Thanks again for your wonderful note. We get so little positive feedback in this world and . . . well, you know.

Best to you, Elizabeth de la Rosa -- be well and happy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›