5.0 out of 5 stars Aliens, January 20, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space (PlayStation 3) (Video Game)
I'm very late to the party with this review, so I'll keep it informal and short...

I know I raved about BioShock, and I think my raves were warranted. But I compared my Bioshock experience to Resident Evil 4. I guess that I didn't completely remember how exhilarated and immersed I was in RE4, because I started Dead Space this past weekend, and I never felt like I was going to have a heart attack playing Bioshock like I did in Dead Space.

Everything in Dead Space screams terror, and everything in Dead Space is presented terrifically! You're team has just boarded the USS Ishimura in deep space...er...I mean Dead Space. It's like a busy space station that supports a mining colony. Let's put it this way: it's supposed to have a pretty decent sized crew. But something's wrong...there doesn't seem to be anyone on board. After about 5 minutes on the ship you're separated from your team, and you are rudely introduced to what is wrong.

The creatures in Dead Space are scary. When they're not scary they're disturbing. When they're not disturbing they're viciously ruthless. The background sounds are creepy send chills down your spine. The background music is orchestrated precisely, and build you right up to a heart attack when the action starts. The layout and map of the ship are super realistic.

You play as a third person as Isaac Clark, and you wear an upgradeable suit that shows your health via illuminated LED lights on the spine of the suit. Very cool. You have a holographic HUD that you can bring up at any time to show your inventory, map & objectives. There are save stations throughout the game positioned almost everywhere you start hoping for one.

Dead Space is just awesome! And to top it off I bought my first Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller, and what a cool thing I've been depriving myself of. The first affect was when I stomped on something. I never thought that a silly controller vibration could add much to the gaming experience....but don't knock it til ya try it certainly applies here.

Gotta say, I'm not sure that watching Dead Space: Downfall first was such a great idea. It was actually kind of a spoiler; I kinda had to play like I was able to watch a log of the Ishimura's events before landing on it.

Sick. Game. Did you like the movie Aliens? Do you like to be scared? Add this to your cart, but prepare for an adventure that's perhaps more intense than any movie you've ever watched or any game that you've ever played.

[Add comment]