4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! - beware of China customer support, January 22, 2014
This review is from: Dahua IPC-HFW4300S 3MP Eco-Savvy Weatherproof Hi Def IP Security Camera 3.6mm (Electronics)
Length:: 0:26 Mins

UPDATE: Thursday July 31, 2014 - We now have 12 of these cameras. 6 for our homes, 6 for our business office. All of them work seamlessly, no more defective ones so far (see original review below), and with static ips, I can watch from anywhere in the world, and I love the POE setup - no dealing with power cables - just cat 5e and a POE switch or an POE injector if you are not able to afford the POE Switch.

------------------------------------

UPDATE: Friday March 7th 2014 - We now have 8 of these, love them. Using security spy for mac, after having setup each ip camera with its own unique ip address, changing the default (192.168.1.108) to something unique, setting them up one at a time. These have done wondrous so far, very easy to manage. Only the one defective one mentioned below.

------------------------------------

I bought 4 of these. 1 was defective, leaving me with 3 that are working still after 2 weeks of use. The other one would just stop working, I though at first it was our cat5line, so I had it professionally replaced while I put the camera on another line that I know is working great, but in the end it was the camera not our lines. So out of 4 purchased, one had to be returned. I'm ok with a defective product as long as it can be replaced, but it seems that 1 of 4 is pretty bad, and other reviews state theirs didn't work on arrival. Other than that, these cameras are superb so far. (If you see my video review, you'll see the HD quality (highest 3MP video setting) and how we know which neighborhood dogs are leaving their stuff on our lawn - sorry neighbors, we got on video ;)

I have used the Astak MOLE and many other security web based IP cameras and so far these beat them all as far as quality of image and video. However, this is day two with having purchased 4 of them and setting them up.

PROS
- Amazing HD high quality stream, I can see things so clearly, and I can increase or decrease the quality easily through web admin.
- Images are high quality enough to see things clearly in snap shots
- easy FTP, Bonjour, SMTP, etc. functionality. Definitely a great admin and functionality built into this camera
- Fast setup. Just type in the default IP and username and pass, and walah! you are in. Just set a different static IP address BEFORE hooking up other identical cameras
- TRUE POE. Power over ethernet - I didn't have to run any power cables, just cat 5 and I'm powered and networks, smooth and seemless setup (I have a POE switch that powers up to 18 POE devices)
- Motion detection is superb, you can adjust the sensativit, schedule the motion detection (I leave mine going all day every day for fun), etc.
- Video Record, Screen Shot, full screen, adaptive screen, and so many other great functionality built into this camera

CONS
- Video format? What in the world is a ".dav" file extension? I consider myself a computer nerd, and VLC (a video player of playerS) couldn't even watch the .dav files... where in the world do I play these files? What is the other ".idx" extension? Chinese formats as these cameras are from China? I want to be able to easily view video from the motion detection, etc. but I'm left still scratching my head wondering what to do with a .dav file that loads in VLC but doesn't show anything... huge negative to me - still searching for what to use to watch video captured from these cams.
The tiny CD which doesn't fit in our side DVD drive has software to play the videos, but who wants to be limited to a software to play the videos, should be a universal format, not some weird format that can't easily be played and ported to other software. (We setup Secuirty Spy app for our apple OS and it works perfectly, so we don't use the windows software that comes with the tiny cd).

- 1 of 4 stopped working. I had all four beautifully streaming HD quality video to our network, but then after 2 hours of having the 4 of them up high (paid our electricians) on our corner, one of the 4 (all used outside) just stopped working. i can login to the admin, I can set setting, etc. set back to defaults, etc. and it is just a BLACK blank screen, nothing... so... (support)

- Support? Blessed China companies!!! I have a few businesses myself and I source in China, so I can appreciate the lack of real support from anything you buy in China. This product is much better than the rip off junk you can get on china websites, as the software actually seems to have been really thought through and intuitive and maybe aided by a English Speaking partner, but as far as support, nothing so far, emails sent, company contacted nothing.

My System and Software
Router - Linksys e3000
Linksys POE 16 port switch for powering the cameras with POE
OS - Mac OS Mavericks
SOFTWARE - Security Spy (mac), IP Scanner Pro (mac)

To DOs
Connect one at a time, by visiting 192.168.1.108 in a web browser, login with default username and password (shown in manual), change settings, password, and ip address (if you have another you will connect).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2014 4:17:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2014 9:17:16 AM PST
K. Seidl says:
Please help? I ordered this camera to replace another that wasn't working. I have a mac and have no idea how to connect this without the software. The software is for PC but I read you can use mac.. how did you get it connected to your network? I'm not very network/IP savvy. I have yet another camera that I can't seem to use and need some help before I lose access to my open new construction walls and can still run the cables.

Did you ever get ahold of support? I also tried, all in Chinese and then I was disconnected.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2014 11:17:27 PM PST
K.R. says:
Sorry I didn't see this until now. I am a mac user myself. We now have 8 of them working amazingly! To use it on a mac, you have to use a software like security spy (which I highly recommend).

The default port these are setup on is 192.168.1.108
So you would go to your web browser, (like firefox, or safari, or chrome) and type in that number (ip address: 192.168.1.108). Type in the default password, and username. Once in explore the menu and settings, setup a new password, edit your ip address (if you have more than one camera), etc.

Posted on May 21, 2014 9:07:52 AM PDT
Machuca says:
The .DAV file extension is a security measure, it is fairly standard on cctv dvrs, i read about it when i needed to extract a video from a security dvr. The logic behind it is that you aren't supposed to be able to modify the original video while it is in that format, so you can be "sure" that the video is not edited. But yea.. i'm with you, it's a pain in the a*** for a normal user.
BTW there are software that make the conversion from .dav->.avi,.wmv, etc.

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 9:01:55 PM PDT
stunning review. 2 thumbs up. just ordered my 4th and your review sealed the deal to move from 2mp to 3 3mp version THANKS!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2014 11:50:12 AM PDT
K.R. says:
Great! Would be interested to see if we got lucky or you like yours like we do ours.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2014 11:55:35 AM PDT

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 12:33:53 PM PDT
S. Ramezani says:
How did you get audio from this camera? Are you using a separate microphone?

Posted on Nov 27, 2014 5:43:28 AM PST
Ohioan says:
Appreciate your review. I'm considering purchasing some myself, but not sure how I'd wire all of them up. How did you do it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2014 6:55:31 AM PST
K.R. says:
Audio was from software on my mac (Security Spy). Works great with these cameras.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2014 6:55:56 AM PST
K.R. says:
Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable and a POE switch.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›