1,118 of 1,250 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Good with caveats, April 4, 2011
This review is from: Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It! (Hardcover)
Ok, I didn't realize how famous this book was when I first got it. Apparently it's a brand with a documentary and Oprah and everyone else behind it. Sorry, I didn't realize that.

I picked it up recently because it was on sale and I was looking for some diet/nutrition books that were women-friendly and wife-friendly, and upbeat. I was looking for something inspiring to stick with the program since I have four kids and a busy life, and have tried whole food diets many times without being able to stick to them long term.

In that area, Kris Corr delivers. She is upbeat and encourages you to stick to the program. What I didn't realize from the front cover was that it was going to be a book on how to become a vegan. It also includes all the more radical steps like enemas, colonics, kale smoothies, dry brushing, neti (sinus irrigation), etc. I am not sure I would have picked it up if I knew that, since I was looking for more of the moderate whole food approach. She's also anti-gluten, anti-chemical (i.e. anti coffee, anti-alcohol, anti-prescriptions, anti-Maybelline) and pro-raw. This may not be doable for everybody. Still, she does make it sound compelling and offers ideas of how to start. And she does give ideas if you're going to compromise a little. She says she still has a bottle of Advil in her cabinet for emergencies and makes a point to talk about enjoying your life, even when that means a glass of wine here or there. So I appreciated that.

I also appreciated her section on alkalinity. It made a lot of sense and had some great tips on how to begin alkanalizing your body. She did say radical things like oats and brown rice weren't as healthy for you, which always raises a yellow flag for me. I always worry that that kind of distinction can lead into the mentality that your diet is never strict enough. But then she has the health to back up her statements, so I can't pontificate too much about that! I appreciated her points anyway.

I did not appreciate, however, what a potty mouth she was. For someone who got into finding her spiritual side and weeding out stinking thinking, her language sure seems contradictory. She is trying to be good-natured and encouraging, I know, but there were enough swear words in it that I was hoping my kids wouldn't oversee. I was also a little unsure about lending it to some of my more reserved mom friends. I give her full, full credit and respect for kicking inoperable cancer and having a great attitude about it. But I think the cursing and party-girl slang everywhere made it seem TOO much like a marketing ploy. Like she's trying to force dieting to be fun and flirty by talking like a college co-ed. It is refreshing from all the science jargon that many doctorates in nutrition write, but she has all the scientific jargon in there anyway. Between s*** this and f*** that. So I found it unnecessary. She could have been upbeat and countercultural without it.

(If you like that stuff, Skinny Bitch actually does a better job anyway. This book is like Skinny Bitch in novel form!)

And I really didn't appreciate how she brought her political affiliation into the book. I am not sure why Democrats assume that only Democrats care about diet. Actually many, many conservatives are just as "back to nature" as anyone else, and saying you're a Democratic, beer-swilling party girl doesn't help the book appeal more widely to people who would otherwise read it. I am a conservative, I like sexy, and I have the same reservations she does about FDA endorsement, government policies, the corn/soy lobby, and being wasteful. I am not criticizing her for being what she is, but why bring it into a diet book? Her points could have been made with the science and good attitude alone.

So in the end, I really wrestled with whether to give this book four stars or three stars. As a diet book with good ideas and helpful descriptions of detox, it is a four. For the party-girl language and tone, I give it a three. It is strong enough to get in the way of the reading. I liked the book enough, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 3, 2011 6:22:58 PM PDT
luv2bhealthy says:
I was going to review this book, but you said it all exactly as I would have except better! Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 4:51:14 PM PDT
Will Riddle says:
Hey, thanks! So nice to know you felt the same way!

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 10:33:04 AM PDT
Thoughtful and balanced review. Thank you.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 8:38:51 AM PDT
D. Maalouf says:
I agree :)

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 3:20:16 PM PDT
KMM says:
I have watched the Kris Carr documentary and found it very inspiring. I am considering purchasing some of her books. This review has been very helpful, and exactly what I was looking for. It has some negative points and postive points, but is said in a very balanced/positive way. I am very interested in the information she offers, but also put off by some of the language she uses in other things I have read of hers. Thank you for the review, and glad I'm not the only one who feels the language is a bit much.............especially for a healthy/healing/spiritual type book.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 6:11:30 AM PDT
P. Coates says:
Went to two book stores this weekend to find the book (sold out) and I was just about to order this book and read the review about the politics and potty mouth and decided to forego. Kris, the documentary which I saw on Super Soul Sunday was very inspiring and I was sorry to read you felt a need to trash it up.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 9:28:36 PM PST
My sentiments exactly!

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 4:05:41 PM PST
Why is it that so very many people think that it isn't spiritual to swear? 'Dirty' words aren't dirty, or foul, or cursing; they're simply words. Regarding the rest, as a lacto-ovo vegetarian, this diet appears as though it will be too restrictive for me, so thank you for the thorough review! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 8:23:58 PM PDT
Lauren says:
They may be "simply words" to you, but to some families who are trying to raise positive, healthy, and balanced children, the language can be a big turn-off. I am very glad that the reviewer included this info, because it has made my decision: I do not choose to have this type of material in my home. There are enough wonderful and excellent resources available these days that I do not HAVE to put up with language that I don't want to, and that I wouldn't feel enthusiastic about sharing with my (teenage) children. Sure, they probably hear it all at school, from friends, etc., but that doesn't mean I want to bring it into my home, nor condone it.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 4:42:48 PM PDT
CLV says:
Thank you so much for your post. I think I'll check it out at the library first. I have to agree with what you said on the politics. Kris Carr and I are probably on the same page as far as that goes, but to insert her comments throughout a book on juicing just doesn't seem right. My mom is a Republican and she is a huge health nut!!! She was the one that got me into nutrition in the first place. In regards to the swearing, it reminds me of a comedian who has to swear. If he or she has to swear, then they are just not that funny. Thank you again for your honest post. I so appreciate it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›