1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate release of one of Jackie's best movies to date, March 13, 2001
This review is from: The Legend of Drunken Master (DVD)
Where to begin... It's difficult to put into words the disappointment I felt after watching the first few minutes of this US release of Drunken Master 2 (The Legend of Drunken Master).
Having seen the original movie on the big screen (and also being the proud owner of a VHS copy), I was looking forward to this release on DVD. Unfortunately, I feel this US release destroys what must be one of Jackie Chan's top 5 movies.
The translated dialogue is terrible. Not just the translations, but the voice actors they recruited sound like Chinese actors speaking bad English. If this was a real US release of the movie for US consumption, why not make the dialogue intelligible? As someone who speaks both Cantonese and English, I found the dialogue difficult to follow and just blatantly wrong. They rob the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) comedy which runs through the entire movie. If they couldn't get good script writers to translate it properly, at least they could have used people who spoke with an American accent. I would almost go as far to be insulted by the chop-soky English used in this release.
The soundtrack is also noticably absent. By robbing the fight scenes of their original score, they remove the excitement and drama from the entire movie. You may not always appreciate how much a soundtrack does for a movie, but this US release truly underscores this point.
Believe me, I wanted to like this movie. I was just so disappointed with what they had done to this movie.
I hope you do not buy this DVD. You should look for either the Hong Kong release of the VHS, Laserdisc, or DVD.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 16, 2009 2:11:15 PM PDT
Steven Reyes says:

Posted on Apr 22, 2009 11:25:31 PM PDT
May I ask, MWong, where you would recommend finding an uncut Hong Kong release of this film. I saw the DVD version first, and then I saw that someone uploaded a fan-subbed version of the uncut original on YouTube and found it to be much better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2009 5:39:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2009 8:12:50 PM PDT
@ Steven Reyes: You're full of crap. His review is not biased. He is pointing out how stupid it was to release this as a dubbed-only version when they could have easily provided both the original language with English subtitles and the English dub, as Dragon Dynasty is doing for their releases. And anyone who thinks that the English dubbed version of this film is the original is a bloody idiot.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 6:02:42 PM PDT
DevilmanEX says:
You can get the original HK dvd and even bluray I think at HKflix.com. For the record I own Legend of Drunken Master dvd and Drunken Master 2 VHS (original version) and it IS the worst overall kung fu movie translation EVER. The dvd doesn't even come in the original language. The acting is cliche and borderline offensive (and I'm not Asian). The soundtrack is simply atrocious. Lastly there are certain scenes over edited or omitted entirely which really detracts from the overall experience.

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 6:41:51 AM PST
LCB12321 says:
No **** its not the original version.... This is a dub to American audiences, Most people would rather watch dubs than look at subtitles.... Unless your a hardcore fanatic i see nothing wrong with buying this dvd

We should be lucky enough theyre even trying to release Jackie's Movies here...With the way American Filmakers tryed to ruin his rep by putting him in cr@p movies..

If I was Jackie I wouldnt even bother trying to please American audiences

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 7:01:40 PM PST
I can see both sides: for those that never see the original version, it's great to watch it in dub (it's my preference too) But for those that already watched it in original version and want this as a collectible, yeah, it sucks! I know how it feels because I remember when I bought District 13 DVD because the dub is really bad compared to the original version I bought from eBay. But at least this has the option to choose the the original language. Anyway, I agree: 1 star for this movie just because of this point is not fair. What if it's the other way around: a movie with tons of extra features, original, great soundtrack, great looking & best movies stars but the story is really stupid, would you give it a 5 (or 4) stars?

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 7:30:37 AM PST
Shopper Girl says:
Thank you for the review. These are the exact things I wanted to know before buying because we prefer subtitles, NOT dubbed! I'll continue looking for the original language...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (293 customer reviews)

$14.99 $7.11