5.0 out of 5 stars Blessed are the Cheesemakers!!!!, January 31, 2008
This review is from: Monty Python's Life Of Brian - The Immaculate Edition [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is the 4th iteration of this movie that I have owned. My first was on VHS, then came the Criterion LaserDisc, which was followed by the Criterion DVD edition. I really wasn't expecting much of an improvement over the Criterion DVD since this is an older movie. Regardless of what version you own, if you are a Python fan, you are in for a HUGE surprise with this latest edition on Blu-ray. The picture is near perfection with only a couple of scenes where I noticed the tiniest bit of film grain. Perhaps the biggest surprise for me was the remastered sound elements. After trying the different sound choices, I found the PCM soundtrack to be the best. I really wasn't expecting the sound to be that great for this movie, but BOY was I surprised. Sony has truly outdone themselves with this latest high def remastering of Life of Brian. This is the absolute best I have ever seen or heard of this zany film. There are details in the picture that I have NEVER seend before, and I have seen this movie MANY MANY times. If I had to complain about anything, it would be that the special features were not in HD, but that is not that big a deal since everything else about this title is just spot on.

There are many who would say this movie is a sacrilege. As a Christian, I would disagree with such a statement. I have heard some say that this movie is making light of Jesus' ministry, and especially his crucifixion. They are missing the whole point. I think this movie illustrates how some people will blindly follow religious leaders, or will just go with the crowd without really questioning what they're doing, or why they're doing it. The scene where Brian is mistaken for Jesus and chased by the crowd is a good example. When his sandal falls off, some take it as a sign that they should remove their own sandal, while some choose to follow the Holy Gourd of Jerusalem. How can anyone NOT see the humor in that??? Also, what if there really were some in the far back of the crowd at the Sermon on the Mount who couldn't quite make out what was being said??? I have seen this movie countless times, and at no point is Jesus ever actually made fun of. Even the crucifixion scene is obviously not a slight on Jesus' own crucifixion. He is not the only person to ever be crucified, since there were countless others who suffered this horrible form of death. The crucifixion scene obviously is not about Jesus' crucifixion since there are much more than three men being crucified. Of course, I'm sure there are those who would disagree with me. If you do find this movie to be offensive, then simply don't watch it. After all, this is still a free country. To those of you who have longed for a pristine version of this classic Python piece, you MUST get this one on Blu-ray. I will be waiting patiently for Sony to deliver a comparable version of the Holy Grail on Blu-ray soon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 1, 2008 12:30:13 PM PST
Brian D. says:
Thank you for providing an insightful review to counter the other one-star review here!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 6:01:38 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 12, 2008 1:54:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2008 1:55:44 PM PDT
On the sacrilege point - the initial joke that started the project rolling was a joke title that Eric Idle threw out to someone who asked 'what was next after Grail'. He said: "Jesus Christ: Lust for Glory".

And according to the endless number of interviews and books, the entire group tried making a film that poked fun at Jesus. They tried. And they couldn't do it.

Approximating their own words from memory here, they said (this was Cleese): "How do you make fun of someone that is so good, who has done nothing wrong?"

So they very quickly settled on making fun of a contemporary, a hapless passerby on the cosmic stage. This film encapsulates more brilliant and refreshingly right-minded insights on hyper-dogmatic ultrareligion than any other work of literature, in my opinion.

Posted on Jan 31, 2009 4:19:19 PM PST
PKacz says:
In reference to "notic(ing) the tiniest bit of film grain" in the Blu-Ray edition:

Well, you're supposed to. Blu-Ray offers higher resolution than DVD which means that you will see more of the ORIGINAL grain that was inherent in the ORIGINAL film print. This is a good thing. With a DVD or other lower (than DVD) quality encodes, this texture, which is an aesthetic by-product of the film-making process, is lost along with the higher quality, more precise detail of an original film print. The beauty of high definition is that it allows a truer representation of the original film, not a digitally smoothed over version. If you were to get a digitally smoothed out, high definition transfer you would also be loosing some of the detail that was in an actual film print.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2009 7:12:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2009 7:14:09 PM PDT
In reply to Jeremy Spencer:::
Lukewarm eh? are you suggesting that Jesus will simply "spit Kevin Pepper out of his mouth like vomit"? ...."neither hot not cold etc"?. (I know my scriptures too buddy) Jeremy Spencer that's a nasty little attitude to send out to a brother. I think you could have had a bit part in the background of "Life of Brian"....... perhaps waving your sandle aloft. I've been firmly in Jesus camp since I was 16 (now 48) and I've always thought this film ripped into human failings / religiosity / dull old religious movies / blind faith / cult mentality / and so forth. I'm with Kevin Pepper in that I don't think this movie tries to attack Jesus at all. I'm sorry if this movie genuinely offends your faith, but we're all wired up differently and I'd say you should let people live in the freedom Jesus has given us...... and simply avoid "Life of Brian" for yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2009 10:13:17 AM PDT
Kevin Pepper says:
Why thank you Ross for such a defense. I chose not to respond to Mr. Spencer's comments, because I could see nothing positive in doing so. It's amazing how many "Christians" fail to have an open mind to someone who may have a different point of view without resorting to name calling. By the way, word is that Sony is now working on The Grail for Blu-ray. That release will be a day of rejoicing!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2010 8:17:26 PM PDT
Look, I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was: "That Blu-ray release of Life of Brian was good enough for Jehovah."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›