1.0 out of 5 stars Why Build A Laptop With A Tablet Operating System?, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Series 3 NP350V5C-A01US 15.6" Core i5 750GB HDD Laptop(Titan_sliver) (Personal Computers)
This is a review of the whole product. If you did a review of an automobile you would do a review of the whole product including the engine and drive train. If you had issues with the drive train you wouldn't go out and do a separate review of the transmisson manufacturer. Likewise I am reviewing the whole product offering.

It's interesting to note that Microsoft is now selling Windows 8 hardware solutions and thus is competing with oem hardware vendors. To the best of my knowledge Microsoft is not offering Windows 8 hardware solutions on non-touch screen devices.

I suspect that in order to make a business case for Windows 8 Microsoft had to include sales on laptops with non-touch screen support in order to justify the business case.

As far as the hardware is concerned it has Intel I5 processor. It comes with 6GB of memory and also a 750 GB disk drive. There are no issues with hardware performance.

I love Windows 8, I think it's a really cool operating system! I love it on a touch screen device NOT on a laptop pc!

I have two issues:

1) The laptop has a matte finish kind of an anti-glare finish but it does appear to be dull. I like anti-glare screens and I have had them on my HP Netbook and also my Dell Vostro laptop but on this laptop the screen seems to be washed out or fuzzy.

2) Windows 8 was designed for a tablet with a touch screen NOT a laptop with no touch screen. Using Windows 8 on this laptop was a total frustrating experience, so I returned the laptop. I also have many clients that have purchased new Windows 8 computers and then returned them. Some people believe that they don't have a choice that the only operating system being sold is Windows 8, but that's not true, as you can go to dell.com's Business Division and purchase all kinds of new computers with Windows 7.

3/19/13 Most recently due to the overly popular Windows 8 operating system, Dell has now started offering Inspiron 15 and Inspiron 15R laptops with Windows 7, supposedly targeted at the student population...

Samsung could have offered a dual boot option first time you use the computer to either select Windows 7 or Windows 8. This has been done before with other Windows releases. Or at least offer the media for sale for either operating system at a nominal cost. But that is not an option with Samsung.

I decided that I needed to learn Windows 8 to support my computer clients. But to learn Windows 8 I have to have something that makes the learning experience fun, so I started looking at Window 8 tablets.

I purchased an Acer Iconia W700-6607 tablet. This tablet comes with a cradle that supports additional usb ports, and a blue tooth keyboard so this device can be used as a tablet or as a PC. The tablet sports a third generation Intel I3 and a 64GB SSD drive and has a 11.6 inch display with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, which is much greater that the resolution of this Samsung laptop. The tablet also comes with Windows 8 64 bit. Now I have the best of both worlds...

Now with a touch screen tablet I am actually enjoying working with Windows 8 in the environment that is was designed to support, ie. Touch Screen Devices!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2013 10:31:29 AM PST
GraySiCK says:
Windows 8 is designed to bridge the gap between touch and mouse pointer. You can easily revert the new tile layout back to a more "Windows 7" look and feel. Or you could just wipe the hard drive and load Windows 7 on. (Or set up Windows 7 partition on your HDD allowing you to boot to either one).

I'm tired of people leaving bad reviews on computers because of the operating system. Samsung's computers have nothing to do with Microsoft's operating system -- Go leave your negative reviews on the Microsoft product instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 9:37:50 AM PST
While in the process of hunting for the best performing, sleekest, and most cost-effective PC laptop, I've come across this complaint (Windows 8) all over the place. I am not interested in opinions on the OS, as I've heard all over that it sucks, or it's wonderful - depending solely on personal preference.

I am so glad you left this comment because I was getting so frustrated with how the low ratings were affecting the overall rating of the laptops when many people's problems were with the OS. I wish Amazon could somehow sift through and throw out the reviews that say a laptop is fine or great, yet give 2 or 1 star simply because of the OS. Lazy reviewing, in my opinion.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 9:40:46 PM PST
AA says:
don't give a pc (hardware) a bad review because you're frustrated with the OS. If you don't like windows8, go bash Microsoft somewhere else.

Posted on May 23, 2013 4:14:11 AM PDT
Dude George says:
Why a one star review for a hardware product when your only complaint is the software?

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 9:48:10 AM PDT
zeke says:
The reviewers that give low marks for a new computer with W8 have every right to complain. Samsung could give us a choice of either W7 or W8, but chooses to sell their machines with W8, plus other bloat ware. The OS and the hardware are integral to the user experience. If W8 sucks, so does the computer it's on, unless we have a choice. We have no other way to interact with the computer.

I'm tired of being forced to spend money on a machine with pre-selected software, Norton being the worst. On one hand, the companies treat us like idiots by including bloatware or snareware, on the other hand they expect us to be computer wizzes in order to make the machine work to match our individual work habits. There seems to be no middle ground.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2013 4:54:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2013 4:58:55 PM PDT
I fully agree with your comment! Thanks!

I just ordered a Lenovo ThinkCentre 3493GPU computer yesterday, the computer comes loaded with Windows 7 64 Pro as a Windows 8 downgrade, You are able to Create Restore DVD's of the system so that in case of a hardware failure you are able to reinstall the system software with Windows 7 and continue with Windows 7.

The system also ships with Windows 8 64 Pro media so that if you choose you can upgrade your system at any time and be on Windows 8. So if Lenovo is doing it so could every other computer manufacturer. What is the additional cost, maybe $2.00 - $5.00 for Windows 8 media.

Any and all computer manufacturers could be doing this. The savings alone in thousands of less returned systems has to be enormous! Hats off to Lenovo for getting it right! Dell and HP are you listening?

I may never move up to Windows 8, but at least I have a choice in the future. If Microsoft can finally get it right I may upgrade the system in the future. It's nice to know that I have the option without having to shell out $100 or so for an operating system upgrade!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (25 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $490.00