5.0 out of 5 stars By James L. Hatch, author of "The Substitute", October 17, 2012
This review is from: Baby (Aliens Species Intervention #6609 Book One) (Kindle Edition)
This week I had the pleasure of reading "Baby, Species Intervention #6609," a novel by J.K. Accinni (edited/published by Skinny Leopard Media). As fate would have it, only last week I blogged about the reasons I read/write Sci-Fi at the Sweet N Sexy Divas blogspot, and it is against that blog I rate "Baby" as a solid five-star read. As stated in my blog, my criteria for outstanding Sci-Fi are imagination, technology, believability and some link to a fundamental force in the Universe larger than us. "Baby" brought all of those elements together, plus a compelling story that I couldn't put down.

"Baby" tells the plight of a poor young woman, Netty, who escapes a brutal and violent marriage. Netty's husband, twenty-two years her senior, is a corrupt judge during the time of prohibition (1929). As a lawyer years earlier, he discovered Netty inherited land and money she knows nothing about, and he married Netty to get her wealth. When he plans Netty's death several years later, she escapes to a childhood hiding place. It is there she encounters a dying Oolahan, a creature who crash-landed on earth. That's where the story gets incredibly interesting.

The Oolahan can heal living things, but not themselves. Netty nurses the creature back to life, and they establish a lifelong bond. Astonishingly, Netty's dilapidated farm undergoes a metamorphosis that defies logic as the Oolahan gets stronger, and J.K. Accinni develops the relationship between the two so carefully the reader will fall in love with them both. Hard work brings some success to Netty, but she can scarcely keep up. She subsequently saves Wil, a younger man, from freezing to death, and the two become close as he pitches in to help with the chores. Wil eventually discovers "Baby," the Oolahan, and the three of them blossom into a loving family.

There are, however, downsides. Both Wil and Netty are changed, physically and mentally, by Baby. Alas, Netty's husband remains a mean-spirited brute with far reaching influence. When her husband re-discovers his wife, and realizes his claim to her inheritance could be challenged, he moves to have everyone associated with her eliminated. Murder after murder follows, and the story of love becomes one of heartache and horror.

But wait, there's more. Netty, Baby and Wil have all changed ... to the point they transcend death. And Baby has produced an offspring of his own. The retributions begin, and we find even the kindest creature imaginable is capable of vengeance.

Beyond a fantastic and imaginative storyline, there is also this: the book is extremely well-edited and the vocabulary is refreshing. J.K. Accinni is an articulate and masterful storyteller with a solid understanding of grammar. I loved reading this novel. You will too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 6:33:03 PM PST
jkaccinni says:
One of the most incisive and comprehensive reviews I have seen on any book, let alone mine. This is what a review should aspire to be. Instructive, informative and beautifuly written. I tip my hat to Mr. Hatch. I suspect his books are well worth the read.

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 9:25:11 PM PDT
Debbie 1 says:
I can understand why you felt the desire to respond to this amazingly, actually heart-touching (for me) review, Mr. Accinni. New to my Kindle and to many new genres of books, including the paranormal invasion, as I call it, has taken me out of a somewhat narrow choice of books that I love to read and has , quite by accident pulled me in. I still find myself a bit wary around them and pick the ones that I have read very carefully. There is a "pounce" almost that I feel lurking around the next page that I am afraid of but drawn to and anxiously awaiting too, if that makes any sense.
I have come across this book quite frequently and every time I've debated, read some more reviews and ended up not getting it. I think that I am quite frankly afraid to have something bad happen to them -which I just realized that it meant just from reading what the book was about, meant that I was already connecting with them. Wow, can't say that that has ever happened to me before. So, Mr Hatch,on the basis of just your review, I am going to get this book. Mr.Accinni, I hope that I don't end up with a broken heart... I have two books of a series (paranormal surprisingly) to finish and then it's Baby time. Thank you both- for now...

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 5:09:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2013 5:11:22 PM PDT
jkaccinni says:
Hi Debbie. I am so sorry I took so long to answer your very kind note, but I just spotted it now. I don't know if you have begun to read yet but I will tell you, the book will make you cry. I am telling you this because many readers don't understand the thrust of the series until they read the second or third book. I will tell you that showing the evil of man is very important as I attempt to educate readers to the unjust and frightful deeds that are done to our wildlife and beloved pets on a daily basis. The first book, Baby, is a prologue to the series, but have no fear Baby and his family are very much "alive," only better. I can't wait to see what you think. Thank you sooo much for your valuable time. It is so special to me when I hear from a reader. J. K. Accinni
‹ Previous 1 Next ›