5.0 out of 5 stars Great Transfer to Blu-Ray, January 28, 2011
I got this as soon as I found it available on the net. It will not be available commercially for some time and that, of course, means the price is WAY to high for most viewers. I was willing to be taken for a ride but if you do not just have to have it now I would recommend waiting until it is available everywhere.
The video quality is fantastic. I have a Samsung 40" 3D setup and the movie was just beautiful to watch. Not quite the same as IMAX but very close (size of screen being the only difference that I could see). The 3D is, to my eyes, exactly as good as the IMAX on-screen version. I am a huge fan of the movie but believe me I would tell you if the video quality was not great.
I would not hesitate to do the purchase again (even considering the huge rip-off in price at this time) but advise others to consider if you really have to have it right now or can wait awhile.
Great movie, almost unbelievable video transfer quality, and a price that is just not right!
Hope this helps.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2011 12:06:49 AM PST
Tad Wagner says:
Well said! I just got the Samsung 50" 1080 P Plasma with 2d-3d up convert and even THAT was amazing, but believe it when i say i will be getting the Avatar in 3d as well. I am 45 years old, and I feel like a kid again with the new fun tech! Good advice! If you can get your hands on "Resident Evil: Afterlife" do it. The effects are amazing too! Anything Sony does with 3d I am all over it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2011 3:42:40 PM PST
Thomas Reed says:
Ordered Resident... today. Can't wait to see it.

Posted on May 23, 2011 11:56:24 PM PDT
kathleen saw says:
hi, i have a sony blu ray player (3d ready) and a sony bravia led. will this play on my player and tv? sorry im not so familiar with these stuffs! hope you could help me! thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 6:21:25 AM PDT
Kathleen,
Your Sony 3D Ready player either IS setup to play 3D content or (probably) a firmware upgrade will make it set to play 3D. Not a difficult task - just a bit time consuming. As almost always check the user manual to see EXACTLY what you need to do to play 3D.
Your Bravia tv on the other hand is not going to play 3D. Unless it has the built-in emitter for the active shutter glasses it will not work (I don't know of any aftermarket add-ons for the emitter as of yet). Also you didn't state the refresh rate of the Bravia. 3D requires a higher than usual refresh rate since in 3D mode it is actually displaying two completely seperate pictures in sequence. The tv must be able to do this fast enough to prevent 'jitters' or 'crosstalk' which would not only ruin the 3D effect but would most likely give you the worst headache of your life.
(I know this is Amazon so I hope the following statement gets thru).
I would strongly suggest you goto Best Buy and talk with one of their tv specialists. They are very knowledgable and happy to help you understand all this 3D stuff. And NO I don't work for them. lol
I hope this helps you at least a little and wish you all the best.
Tom Reed

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 9:09:40 AM PDT
Bocker says:
I'd be interested in renting Avatar 3D for my new LG 3D TV. Do you know of anyone that rents at a resonable price?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 6:38:48 AM PDT
Bocker,
Sorry but I don't know of any rentals yet. Since this is (at least until sometime -February??- next year) a Panasonic exclusive, i doubt there will be any rentals until that contract runs out.
Frankly I would suggest just waiting till then. I'll bet when that contract is up it will sell for less than $20.00.
Tom

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2011 12:07:00 AM PDT
Ellen Ripley says:
There is no way to rent this but if you are really set on buying this read the "Customer Discussions" section at the bottom of the product page. It will offer some advice about how to get this now and not get taken too badly.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:01:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2011 12:02:27 AM PDT
J. Robson says:
Are these packaged with Panasonic 3D glasses? Why is it so expensive?

I have a new 55" LG 3D (and a blu ray 3d player) The TV can "flip" anything to "3D mode" I KNOW it is not as good as true 3d, but I was wondering for the price I may as well get the "regular" blu ray for now, I was watching "where the wild things are" in HD Cable TV and when I flipped it to "3D mode" it was pretty amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 6:28:11 AM PDT
Thomas Reed says:
James. I agree that the simulated 3D is pretty good and in answer to your question yes -i would just get the 2d blu ray for now and wait till Feb or March for the 3D release to the general public. The 3D is great but like I said before it is wayyyy to high priced to get right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 11:35:40 AM PDT
Ellen Ripley says:
RE: "Are these packaged with Panasonic 3D glasses? Why is it so expensive?"

No, Panasonic glasses are not included. They are expensive because the only way to get the 3D movie (until Feb 2012) has been with a purchase of a Panasonic 3D HDTV or 3D Blu-ray player. So the only way to get Avatar 3D is through people who made those purchases and don't want the free Avatar 3D that came with it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›