5.0 out of 5 stars Not a HUGE change, but it never needed to be., November 18, 2013
This review is from: Xbox One Wireless Controller (Video Game)
The upgrade from the 360 controller to the XB1 controller isn't as significant as the upgrade from the DS3 to the DS4 controller, but it doesn't need to be. So when people say the DS4 is a better improvement than the XB1 controller is, please take that with a grain of salt - because the changes between the 360 and the XB1 controller didn't need to be that drastic.

I had the ultimate pleasure of playing with the Xbox One at E3, and I have also been playing with it in Microsoft Stores around my area. I simply love the controller. The XB1 controller feels even more natural than the 360 controller, and at one point I completely forgot I was using a new controller because of how naturally fitting it was in my hands - a good thing, I must say.

Thank god the d-pad is better now.. in that it's easier to use. I feel like the d-pad is really cheaply built, though.. which makes me sad. The XB1 controller feels lighter than the 360 controller, and it's probably made of materials that weren't as expensive to mass-produce (yes, I'm saying the 360 controller feels a lot more sturdy than the XB1 controller, but that's also just entirely my opinion, as is this whole "review").

The actual analog sticks feel a BIT smaller than the Xbox 360 ones. I don't know if it's true or not - maybe my fingers got fatter these past few months.

At the end of the day, the controller is very, very comfortable to use. There's no "learning curve," no "adjustment period," no change you need to get used to. Pick it up, turn on your Xbox One, and get going. That's the beauty of it. It didn't NEED any revolutionary changes. The changes it did need to make, however, have finally been made!

Enjoy, everyone! :)

EDIT: 12/16/2014

I've become a bit frustrated with the left and right bumpers on the controller. I have big hands, and my fingers almost always rest on TOP of the left and right shoulder buttons. So you can imagine my disappointment when I try pressing them, only to find out I CANNOT press on them from the top. Only being able to click for shoulder buttons from the sides is a huge bummer, and a pretty significant step backwards. I wish this wasn't the case. Docking half a point. 4.5/5

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2013 7:21:55 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 5:42:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2013 4:48:31 AM PST
I re-read his statement and the reviewer didn't make any mistake about that detail.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 6:18:56 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 6:53:34 PM PST
FHM says:
I explicitly stated that the DS4 was a huge jump up from the DS3. I don't know where the confusion was :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2013 6:55:23 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 16, 2013 8:07:07 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2013 7:44:39 AM PST
Major Nelson says:
Let me help them out

Jo said that the speculation going on about how ds4 is great is due to the fact that the ds3 needed much improvement while the xbo360pad didnt need such improvement due to the fact that 360pad was already superior to ds3. I had both consoles and i concur to this statement.

Now both ds4 and x1 controller will be on par; i really mean it. I hated ds3 so much that i played multi plats on PC and 360 and only played the ps3 bcos of exclusives and definitely no First Person Shooters.
Now i have ds4 i feel the same comfort i have with 360pad except that i prefer the 360pad triggers. Other than that ds4 has copied the 360pad comfort, analog stick resistance, and size to its design.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,619 customer reviews)
 (1,118)