Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

4.0 out of 5 stars It really is better than all the reviews would lead you to believe, December 31, 2011
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Touch Lighted Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite) (Accessory)
So, going into this Kindle cover search, the first place I stopped was here, at the "official" Amazon Kindle Touch Lighted Cover. The price put me off a bit (it still does) but the reviews were so abysmal that I wasted about 6 hours exhaustively searching Amazon and Google for any cover that held better promise. None did. Here are the things I really liked/wanted that I was unable to find elsewhere:

1. A light that is always there and powered off the Kindle. This is a big deal, because I read in the dark and REALLY don't want to have to fumble around with a separate reading light. The side table light is too bright for my wife, and the clumsiness of the add-on lights is really annoying.

2. Real leather. I like nice stuff, understated class, etc. I know what leather feels like, and I enjoy it. I'm not a snob or aficionado, but I can tell the difference between pleather/polyurethane/plastic and leather.

3. No ugly plastic/elastic straps covering the fascia of my lovely Kindle. As a long-time book reader and a hesitant e-book convert, it's pretty important to me that the thing 'disappear' in my hands while I'm reading it.

4. No unnecessary bulk. The Kindle Touch is small and sleek. It's a little too small and sleek to really be comfortable reading it, so the cover needs to add a little bit of bulk, but not much.

After determining that none of the other cases currently on the market met these needs, I relented and bought the "official" one. And guess what? It's perfect, and I absolutely love it. My comments on the common gripes:

1. "The light is chintzy and it gets in my eyes." The light illuminates the screen. It doesn't have any flickering problems. It doesn't get in my eyes the way I hold the Kindle, but I can see how it would. Just for grins, I put a tiny piece of black electrical tape over the very top 1/8 inch of the bulb, and the problem is completely gone. Any reasonable angle provides good lighting without being distracting. As far as being 'chintzy', I don't know how these people treat their electronics, but the light is not flimsy. It stows away flush with the case when you're not using it. Seems robust enough to me, but then again, I don't use the light when I'm reading anywhere but in bed. Maybe if you like to run in the dark and read simultaneously it will be a problem. Or, more realistically, if you have a tendency to fall asleep while reading and drop the kindle or roll over on it: If you do either of these, you might end up with a "non lighted case". But then again, your Kindle probably won't last long either... maybe you should go back to paper books.

2. "There's no closure mechanism". Well, I may differ from the majority of reviewers, but I'm careful with my stuff. I'm not carelessly throwing my kindle in bags full of paperclips and loose staples. If it is traveling with me, it's packed either in my clothes, next to my laptop in the padded compartment of my backpack typically used for delicate devices, or somewhere equally protected. I'm not concerned about the cover flying open in transit and allowing something to puncture the screen. And it is well designed enough to lay flush with the face of the Kindle, so not much is getting in there. A side effect of "sleek" and "flush fitting" is that the cover piece is thin. But don't take that to mean it's flimsy, on the contrary it seems incredibly well constructed. I rather like it.

3. "The leather is smooth and therefore slippery." Well, it's smooth leather. As you use it, there will be more grip, but it's not as if this thing ways 10 pounds and you really need to get a grip on it. When it's open, the rubberized molding is more than enough grip to keep the kindle where you want it. Also, if you read with the cover folded over the back like I do, you're holding the microfiber suede side with your fingers and the very grippy rubberized molding around the edge of the kindle. It's not going anywhere.

4. "Its so hard to get the kindle in and out of the case". I don't need to do this often, I don't know about you. Once it's in the case, I really don't foresee the need to remove it. But in case I did, Amazon gave me the instructions, and guess what? They work! Kindle comes out, screen intact, and the cover is not damaged!

All in all, this is a very well made and thoughtfully engineered case. My guess is that the core of everyone's gripe is really the price. For that, I deducted one star. Bravo, Amazon, on a well designed case. Drop the price $15 and you'll have a sure winner.

[Add comment]