3.0 out of 5 stars Awawened Master? The Meek Equals Egoless?, May 18, 2008
This review is from: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61) (Paperback)
The book is 316 pages, & has 10 chapters with 2-11 parts in each. This book is better than the first in that it gives more details on Buddhist beliefs.

However, the authors vanity & EGO are sometimes shocking. He jumps to conclusions from experiences that don't appear "egoless." He has made the pursuit of being "awakened or enlightened" into a western style competitive race. Chapter 5 was drivel pyschbabble & even had historical mistakes. Ex: The pre-Christian cultures he mentioned on page 156 revered females? If that was true, why did they sell their own women into slavery?

Also, the ideas the author presents are not original & his tone is a bit patronizing & contradictory. When he states that you should not dwell on the future, but stay in the present. But, a moment later he states that you must focus on a vision or goal that you are striving to reach. One could simply read the works of the authors he listed on page 131. Life is far more complex & transitory than he seems to indicate.

"Dukkha, or suffering is part of life." Mindful practice is all we can truly focus on. It is not an escape from the stresses we all have in our daily lives. On page 273, he states "the decision arrives ready made. It comes through awareness, not through thinking." I can't speak for others, but one often will have to think to be fully aware. I found pages 234-7 to be the wisest examples in the book. Then again, I learned these things from episodes of the 1970's show "Kung Fu." Lastly, I recommend folks read Daniel Goleman's "EQ," for both ego & emotional information. While "mindfullness" is well covered in the Dalai Lama's "The Art Of Happiness."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 18, 2008 2:43:35 PM PDT
I have heard many conflicting things about this book. I did not care much for his first book, & thanks to your fine review I think I will skip this one.

Posted on May 18, 2008 6:49:10 PM PDT
This was a very useful review. The complaints you had were about exactly the kind of things that would turn me off. I think I will skip this book. I believe your other recommendations sounds a lot better. Thanks Steve!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2008 9:29:04 PM PDT
Thanks, Steve, though I don't think I was in danger of wasting my reading time on this one. I guess you should count yourself lucky that you just bought the book. These kinds of neo-gurus tend to sign people up for seminars and retreats, and then Ponzi you into recruiting others. Plus vote well earned.

Posted on May 18, 2008 10:32:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2008 10:33:10 PM PDT
Thanks, STEVE, for your honest, in-depth review. I like the fact that you list things you like about the book along with things you don't like. It's not my kind of reading, so I'll pass too. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Posted on May 19, 2008 4:48:36 AM PDT
H. Schneider says:
Crappy. Throw it away, man. Thanks, but redundant warning, actually.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2008 6:33:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 26, 2008 3:08:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2008 9:27:08 AM PDT
You seem to be getting carried away by your obsessions. Take your questions to the following link:

Posted on May 19, 2008 10:01:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 5, 2008 7:20:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2008 10:04:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 5, 2008 7:20:26 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2008 6:40:55 PM PDT
I agree with Mr. Texas Swede's comment. This is a good review and precise in criticism of the writing.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›