Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Jawbone JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Red Dot (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
(Update 6/7/12: If you want to cut to the chase, I found a much better alternative to the Jawbone. Logitech's Mini Boombox http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PUZOYM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER. It's a lot better and a lot cheaper than the Jawbone, and several months in it's still working flawlessly. Highly recommended.)

This company should be ashamed of this buggy, defective product and the absolutely useless "customer service" it has in place (and trust me, you WILL be calling customer service if you buy a JAMBOX.)

I purchased a new JAMBOX from Amazon on Tuesday, Feb 7th and received it the next day. As it was supposed to be a Valentine's Day gift for my wife, I unboxed the JAMBOX to set it up for her so she could start using it right away.

Right out of the box, the JAMBOX worked fine. It wasn't as loud as the reviews had led me to expect it to be, but it had good sound quality and was decently loud for such a small powered speaker.

The problems began when I did as the manual recommended and configured the JAMBOX via USB by installing the Jawbone Updater app. This "app" simply launches your web browser and has you set up an account at [...]. at which point your JAMBOX is recognized and updated to the latest firmware. You can also choose a different voice for the device, so it talks back to you in a male or female accent in several different flavors.

The software update went fine, the app told me my unit was fully ups to date and ready to go, and that's when my JAMBOX stopped working entirely and never worked right again.

The JAMBOX wouldn't pair over Bluetooth anymore with a Mac, a Windows 7 laptop, or an iPad. When it did pair, nothing came out of the speaker but loud static. Even when the JAMBOX wasn't paired with anything, it still had a loud static noise.

I Googled the issue and found a ton of people having the same problem, and nobody had found a solution even when dealing with customer service. still, I called customer service anyway to see for myself if these were isolated incidents or not.

The first customer service rep I spoke with was a very young woman with zero knowledge of the JAMBOX and no technical understanding at all. It was very obvious she was reading from a telemarketing response tree screen, and she mispronounced L.E.D. "led" as in "Led Zeppelin". She also gave me bogus info about doing a hard reset, which was refuted by...

The SECOND customer service rep I spoke with. He told me the 1st rep's advice to press the call button six time quickly and then hold on the 7th time was wrong - instead I should turn the device off, then as soon as I turned it on again, quickly press the call button 6 times to do the hard reset.

He actually said, "Yeah, it's really tricky, sometimes it takes 10 tries before the reset works."

TEN TRIES?! What kind of nonsense is this? What company puts a product on the market like this without a simple and solid reset option? $25 WiFi routers have a reset button. But a $200 JAMBOX doesn't? Shameful.

This being the 21st Century, I'm well accustomed to gadgets shipping with little to no quality control or beta testing, and it's understood that I'll have to Google around a bit to find out what how the hive mind has solved whatever lingering issues any new device has. This is the first time I've ever spent an hour Googling a product problem and finding NOT ONE SINGLE SOLUTION AND/OR SATISFIED CUSTOMER. Don't believe me? Check out JAMBOX's own official forum right here: http://forums.jawbone.com/t5/Jawbone-Speakers/ct-p/speakers.

This company spent a ton of money on slick Web videos and buying up all the right gadget reviewers so the JAMBOX would get great buzz. Unfortunately, the JAMBOX itself is a piece of crap. The tech support is non-existent, and even the company's own user forums, where by all rights there should be company representatives answering questions and pointing users toward the right solutions, are only populated by angry buyers like me who feel like suckers for believing the hype about this magical tiny Bluetooth speaker that filled a room with loud, full stereo sound and fit in the palm of your hand.

Maybe you'll read this and write me off, thinking "heh, every gadget has a few angry nuts who just like to complain because they're miserable to begin with", etc. But let me tell you something: I have NEVER written an Amazon negative review before, and I've bought thousands of items here. All kinds of tech products. Never have I felt as wholly scammed by a product and a company as I have with this JAMBOX.

You've been warned. If I can save one person from the crappy afternoon of fruitless troubleshooting I had today, it was worth the time it took to write this.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:48:30 AM PDT
Hi Corey Greenberg,

We want every one of our customers to have an amazing experience with the JAMBOX. Obviously, we are disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with yours. We would really appreciate it if you could send us an email at socialsupport@jawbone.com so that we can find a way to make this right for you.

In regards to your comment about the forum, Jawbone reps are frequently on the community to provide help and support to our customers. We try very hard to catch problems as they arise and provide answers and solutions as quickly as possible. We are making big changes to the community soon, so we encourage you to check it out!

--Jawbone Support

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2012 10:24:32 PM PST
Me Thinks says:
Thanks for telling me how to do a hard re-set. It finally got the thing talking to my iphone again. Your right, for $200 it shouldn't be so flakey. It is very frustrating. I spent hours trying to find a solution.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 10:24:44 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 28, 2012 10:25:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 3:36:57 PM PST
Bill says:
I was all excited about purchasing the JamBox, but after all these negative comments, I'll pass. I hope Jawbone is paying attention.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 9:31:53 AM PDT
Avi Goodman. says:
I've been on the fence about buying one of these for a long time now. I have been wanting one, but I've been hesitant. Thanks for helping me make up my mind to not purchase this device. I'll wait and see what the second generation of this device looks like.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 6:34:33 AM PDT
Winter says:
I used to think the professional reviewers were paid off to write good reviews. Then it occurred to me, what makes them different from us is that they only have to look something over and then move on--we have to live with the problems and the wasted money. Plus, I'm sure if a pro has a problem they just tell the manufacturer and get a replacement pronto...if the manufacturer didn't send them a pre-tested unit to begin with.

I'm happy to say that even though I didn't see this review before buying mine, my experience has been great. But when I write a review, I'm going to mention the customers like you...if a product fails, the company needs to own up to it, and do better by us. Great review Corey--and reading it, I hope I never have to deal with this myself.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 6:18:42 PM PDT
I was a click away from ordering this product when I thought, hey, what do the one-star reviewers have to say?

Corey, when I saw your name pop up as one of them, I knew I'd best read on. I've been following your audio gear reviews ever since your stint with Stereophile magazine, and you've never steered me wrong.

Thank you for helping me avoid this lemon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:37:44 PM PDT
Thanks for your nice words, David. I'll tell you what I got to replace the Jawbone - Logitech's Mini Boombox Logitech Mini Boombox for Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops - Black It's not quite going to warm your Stereophile cockles but for a cheapish Bluetooth speaker it walks all over the Jawbone. And unlike the Jawbone it actually works like it's supposed to. Damned nice product for the bucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 11:02:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 11:03:40 AM PDT
Winter says:
Corey, I'm assuming you'll keep this review posted here even though you couldn't use your Jambox (and I think you should)...I'd like to suggest if you've replaced yours with a better product--the Logitech--you might want to update this review to tell people who are looking at the Jambox about the Logitech.
I hope you were able to get your money back...

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 8:59:08 PM PDT
Noah SILVA says:
Strangely enough, I bought a Jambox and have been absolutely delighted with it. There are some minor issues about it playing nice with Mac OS X, but having a small, portable, sturdy, wireless speaker with great sound and built-in batteries is awesome. I bring it when I go on business trips, etc.

Also, I think any product forum is full of complaints, because happy customers don't usually go there. It's also very mature that the company doesn't seem to be censoring or deleting any of the negative posts.

That said, clearly there are quite a few people who, for whatever reason, are having issues with the product. This is something that the company needs to deal with on a proactive basis.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:22:17 AM PDT
Noah, undoubtedly this is an issue of QC. I'm glad you got a fully functioning Jambox and I hope it gives you years of pleasure. But there are far too many reports of bad units like mine getting to consumers, and that's just bad quality control, full stop. Jawbone needs to tighten its QC program or even implement one for that matter, and it needs to radically rethink its laughably amateurish in-house support team.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›