The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Jawbone JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Red Dot - Retail Packaging (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
(Update 6/7/12: If you want to cut to the chase, I found a much better alternative to the Jawbone. Logitech's Mini Boombox http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PUZOYM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER. It's a lot better and a lot cheaper than the Jawbone, and several months in it's still working flawlessly. Highly recommended.)

This company should be ashamed of this buggy, defective product and the absolutely useless "customer service" it has in place (and trust me, you WILL be calling customer service if you buy a JAMBOX.)

I purchased a new JAMBOX from Amazon on Tuesday, Feb 7th and received it the next day. As it was supposed to be a Valentine's Day gift for my wife, I unboxed the JAMBOX to set it up for her so she could start using it right away.

Right out of the box, the JAMBOX worked fine. It wasn't as loud as the reviews had led me to expect it to be, but it had good sound quality and was decently loud for such a small powered speaker.

The problems began when I did as the manual recommended and configured the JAMBOX via USB by installing the Jawbone Updater app. This "app" simply launches your web browser and has you set up an account at [...]. at which point your JAMBOX is recognized and updated to the latest firmware. You can also choose a different voice for the device, so it talks back to you in a male or female accent in several different flavors.

The software update went fine, the app told me my unit was fully ups to date and ready to go, and that's when my JAMBOX stopped working entirely and never worked right again.

The JAMBOX wouldn't pair over Bluetooth anymore with a Mac, a Windows 7 laptop, or an iPad. When it did pair, nothing came out of the speaker but loud static. Even when the JAMBOX wasn't paired with anything, it still had a loud static noise.

I Googled the issue and found a ton of people having the same problem, and nobody had found a solution even when dealing with customer service. still, I called customer service anyway to see for myself if these were isolated incidents or not.

The first customer service rep I spoke with was a very young woman with zero knowledge of the JAMBOX and no technical understanding at all. It was very obvious she was reading from a telemarketing response tree screen, and she mispronounced L.E.D. "led" as in "Led Zeppelin". She also gave me bogus info about doing a hard reset, which was refuted by...

The SECOND customer service rep I spoke with. He told me the 1st rep's advice to press the call button six time quickly and then hold on the 7th time was wrong - instead I should turn the device off, then as soon as I turned it on again, quickly press the call button 6 times to do the hard reset.

He actually said, "Yeah, it's really tricky, sometimes it takes 10 tries before the reset works."

TEN TRIES?! What kind of nonsense is this? What company puts a product on the market like this without a simple and solid reset option? $25 WiFi routers have a reset button. But a $200 JAMBOX doesn't? Shameful.

This being the 21st Century, I'm well accustomed to gadgets shipping with little to no quality control or beta testing, and it's understood that I'll have to Google around a bit to find out what how the hive mind has solved whatever lingering issues any new device has. This is the first time I've ever spent an hour Googling a product problem and finding NOT ONE SINGLE SOLUTION AND/OR SATISFIED CUSTOMER. Don't believe me? Check out JAMBOX's own official forum right here: http://forums.jawbone.com/t5/Jawbone-Speakers/ct-p/speakers.

This company spent a ton of money on slick Web videos and buying up all the right gadget reviewers so the JAMBOX would get great buzz. Unfortunately, the JAMBOX itself is a piece of crap. The tech support is non-existent, and even the company's own user forums, where by all rights there should be company representatives answering questions and pointing users toward the right solutions, are only populated by angry buyers like me who feel like suckers for believing the hype about this magical tiny Bluetooth speaker that filled a room with loud, full stereo sound and fit in the palm of your hand.

Maybe you'll read this and write me off, thinking "heh, every gadget has a few angry nuts who just like to complain because they're miserable to begin with", etc. But let me tell you something: I have NEVER written an Amazon negative review before, and I've bought thousands of items here. All kinds of tech products. Never have I felt as wholly scammed by a product and a company as I have with this JAMBOX.

You've been warned. If I can save one person from the crappy afternoon of fruitless troubleshooting I had today, it was worth the time it took to write this.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:48:30 AM PDT
Hi Corey Greenberg,

We want every one of our customers to have an amazing experience with the JAMBOX. Obviously, we are disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with yours. We would really appreciate it if you could send us an email at socialsupport@jawbone.com so that we can find a way to make this right for you.

In regards to your comment about the forum, Jawbone reps are frequently on the community to provide help and support to our customers. We try very hard to catch problems as they arise and provide answers and solutions as quickly as possible. We are making big changes to the community soon, so we encourage you to check it out!

--Jawbone Support

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 47 posts in this discussion
A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:48:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 12:02:58 PM PDT
Hi Corey Greenberg,

--Jawbone Support

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:52:22 PM PDT
For what it's worth, I would be happy to give Jawbone another opportunity to "make this right" for me. Companies screw up all the time, call center morons tell consumers all kinds of nonsense on the phone, and when situations like this one escalate and come to the attention of real people at the company, actual capable company reps step in and attempt to set things right.

But when I replied to the above comment by Jawbone using the email address above (socialsupport@jawbone.com) my email bounced back as undeliverable with the following auto-response:

"Hello,

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (socialsupport) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
* The owner of the group may have removed this group.
* You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
* This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at http://support.google.com/a/jawbone.com/bin/topic.py?hl=en_US

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 7:07:04 AM PST
Booky says:
Thanks for your customer review. I won't be buying this speaker for xmas gifts after all. Just these few reviews really put me off. I do hope that jawbone and other companies really think about customer serivce because that's what really makes a good company.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:44:23 AM PST
A. Stefaniak says:
Corey, Logitech no longer has any Product pages on their site for the Mini Boombox. Or I'm unable to find it with a keyword search on "boombox" or the model number (I do get hits from Support and Corporate pages). My interest in the Jawbone was for the simultaneous multipoint connectivity as a Bluetooth speaker and a smartphone hands-free. Does the Mini Boombox support that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 10:02:04 AM PST
This link still works for the original Logitech Mini Boombox we use:http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Boombox-Smartphones-Tablets-Laptops/dp/B005PUZOYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353866218&sr=8-3&keywords=logitech+boombox

The newer version is here, though I haven't tested it nor do I vouch for it: Logitech UE 984-000298 Mobile Boombox Bluetooth Speaker and Speakerphone (Black Grill/Black)

The original Mini Boombox does indeed function as both a hands-free speakerphone speaker and a multipoint Bluetooth speaker. There's nothing the Jambone can do that the Logitech can't, except fail repeatedly and insult you with non-existent customer service.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 2:33:11 PM PST
Fuzz says:
Yes indeed. It does it well.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:43:21 PM PST
Texas CPA says:
Corey:

Great to see you posting on Amazon! I am a huge fan of yours back in the day of Stereophile. I always found your reviews to be intelligent, honest, thorough, very refreshing and in some cases hilarious especially compared to some of the more typical audiophile reviewers finding great value in Blue Azure double dielectric interconnects for the bargain price of only $1,500 USD for a 1 meter pair.

I always thought it was of far more value to the typical audiophile or aspiring audiophile to turn them on to a killer kilobuck integrated amplifier that they would be very happy with for a long time.

Take care,

B

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:07:33 PM PST
LaJuana says:
This is helpful to me. Thank you for letting me know that despite the posts here, Jawbone did not resolve your issue.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 7:00:20 PM PST
Jeffrey says:
I played with one of these in the Verizon store when they first came out. When I was the local Bestest Box they had them for a very good price. I tried it out again and it seemed very neat.

I hopped onto Amazon with my phone to read reviews. I was on the fence about buying it, but your review was "the" reason I decided to pass today. Maybe I'll consider in the future when they cost less; I'll put up with some tech nonsense, but only if it's cheap enough.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:21:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 10:22:47 AM PDT
I'm facing the same problem, after 5 months working fine, now nothing comes out of the speaker but loud static. Even paired or unpaired, it still has a loud static noise. Now I find that tons of people are having the same problem! I wish I could have my money back! It's a very expensive purchase to end up in 5 months...