Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this thing!, September 21, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic SR-DE102 Fuzzy-Logic 5-Cup Electronic Rice Cooker/Warmer,White (Kitchen)
This is my favorite appliance!

Before buying I did a lot of research on rice cookers. I had an awful time trying to choose between the expensive fuzzy logic machines you could do porridge in and steaming. Initially all I read indicated you could have one or the other, not both. Then I found this machine, it was way less expensive than the other fuzzy logic machines, you can steam in it too, AND it has a slow-cook and bake setting. Oh, another thing this machine does that some others don't is brown rice.

It helps me eat healthier and leaner. I didn't think I'd liked steamed chicken. It sounded dull and tasteless. One day, I was cooking some rice and realized I had a chicken breast I had to cook before it went bad. I tossed it in the steamer figuring I'd use it in a casserole or something the next day, and now it's my favorite way to eat chicken. It is easy, moist, tender, and flavorful AND I don't use any fat to cook it.

My favorite things to do in this machine:
* Put steel cut oats, water, dates, and a pinch of salt in it at night, set the timer so it's done in time for my husband's breakfast. He gets his, closes the cooker and it stays hot until I'm ready to eat.
* I love to put brown basmati rice in the bottom, and towards the end of the cooking time put come broccoli on top of the rice and a couple of chicken breasts in the steamer basket.
* Steaming cubed sweet potatoes and/or yams. Especially good with a bit of poppy seed dressing and pecans. They will stain the white steamer basket. Regular potatoes are good steamed as well.
* It makes the most amazing corn bread and quick breads. I put a circle of parchment paper on the bottom when baking to ease in removal; but, I'm not sure it's necessary. Even boxed mixes come out beautifully browned on the bottom and extremely moist and they stay moist longer than oven baked goods.
* A Jiffy cake mix is perfect for a quick easy desert, again, really moist. Even better, mix a Jiffy cake mix with a can of pie filling and use the bake cycle. One night I made this for desert and forgot to cover it. The next morning it was still moist and delicious.
* Rice and tapioca puddings are fast, easy, and excellent. I don't use eggs, just the rice or tapioca, milk, vanilla, (cinnamon for rice pudding) and sweetener on the porridge setting. Arborio rice makes the best rice pudding. If the rice isn't cooked enough, I set it for another cycle; but, am very careful because it must be checked frequently and stirred to avoid a messy boil over. Cleaning it after pudding is a little more work, but, minimal compared to the ease of cooking... unless you have a boil over. After my first boil over I thought I was going to have to throw the machine away. But, it cleaned up beautifully and without too much work.
* I set up my machine to do rice earlier in the day and use the keep warm feature so I don't have to worry about timing while I'm cooking other things.

My only disappointment with this machine is that it doesn't do polenta as easily, or as well, as I had hoped. That said, it still is easier than doing it on the stovetop, or even the oven. I found it best to open the cooker frequently, even on the porridge cycle, to stir in order to keep it from clumping.

I purchased my original machine more than six months ago (from another source) and use it many times a week, frequently multiple times a day. At that time I paid less. It is still priced extremely well for such a useful, easy, time saving, and versatile appliance. I loved it so much; I bought this one for my daughter.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]